NVIDIA is clueless about gaming software?

Old February 28th 07, 11:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Doe

Default NVIDIA is clueless about gaming software?

So you can't apply display/color profiles for games.
Now, with the most recent NVIDIA nTune I go through the process of
overclocking my fancy new video card. So what happens when that
profile is added to a full-screen game? Believe it or not, the start
of the game is interrupted with a Windows dialog:

nTuneCmd
The profile "Best system.npe" was loaded successfully.
Press OK to continue.

Why on earth would they take the time to write that program and then
add a Windows prompt that interrupts the user entering a full-screen
game?!

Old February 28th 07, 10:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Dr. Richard Cranium

stuff like this, and having to load specific versions of Nvidia drivers
for different games caused my move to ATI.

you can see my path of video card upgrades and the sudden
fed upness with Nvidia prompting my change to ATI (ahh stability):
http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm

of course

IF Nvidia goes with the 3Dfx api - i might be back.
http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm

** no fate **

dracman
Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm

http://www.smokeypoint.org/wow/worldofwarcraft1.html

Aliase female hume rogue lvl 59 PVE solo
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=i0xZ0xV0oZEzxkMhRsoc
5/11/34

Zebby female NE Huntress lvl 56 / Aja nightstalker cat lvl 55 (bite,prowl)
PVE solo
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=cq0hZEVooqzohZ0GV
9/28/10

Iacta alea est

.. .

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old March 3rd 07, 04:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Franky wrote:
Now, with the most recent NVIDIA nTune I go through the process of
overclocking my fancy new video card. So what happens when that
profile is added to a full-screen game? Believe it or not, the start
of the game is interrupted with a Windows dialog:

nTuneCmd
The profile "Best system.npe" was loaded successfully.
Press OK to continue.

Why on earth would they take the time to write that program and then
add a Windows prompt that interrupts the user entering a full-screen
game?!

I would ask the same of microsoft after installing a new network/internet
compatible game - it brings up a BLOCK / UNBLOCK from internet
window the moment you load the game, sometimes making you load the
game, sit through company logos etc..quit the game, make the choice..then
load the ****er again.

Those are both pretty reasonable suggestions, while the second one can
be avoided by pre-emptively unblocking the game, I'm the first to admit
I never remember to, or I don't do the proper executable. Some games
integrate with Security Center, not enough do and none do it well.

I'm curious about the ntune issue, is there no effective workaround
other than manually applying the settings prior, and then negating the
whole point of automation? Can the "ok" dialog button be made to keep
focus, but the window not take focus?

Old March 3rd 07, 04:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Doe

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote:

I'm curious about the ntune issue, is there no effective
workaround other than manually applying the settings prior, and
then negating the whole point of automation? Can the "ok" dialog
button be made to keep focus, but the window not take focus?

Or how about a checkbox that says "do not display this dialogue next
time".

Then again, considering the target user knows enough to overclock
his video card, an "overclocking successful" confirmation isn't even
necessary.

Gaming is why I bought a $300 NVIDIA video card. I'm annoyed, but it
also seems silly that they would write an overclocking utility
mainly used by gamers and then have an unnecessary prompt interrupt
games.

Oh well.

Old March 3rd 07, 06:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

John Doe wrote:
"Mr.E Solved!" wrote:

I'm curious about the ntune issue, is there no effective
workaround other than manually applying the settings prior, and
then negating the whole point of automation? Can the "ok" dialog
button be made to keep focus, but the window not take focus?

Or how about a checkbox that says "do not display this dialogue next
time".

Then again, considering the target user knows enough to overclock
his video card, an "overclocking successful" confirmation isn't even
necessary.

Gaming is why I bought a $300 NVIDIA video card. I'm annoyed, but it
also seems silly that they would write an overclocking utility
mainly used by gamers and then have an unnecessary prompt interrupt
games.

Oh well.

I've never used the ntune profile setting feature, I'm not missing much
based on your reporting.

Set one OC and forget about it, adjust your game profiles through nhancer.

http://www.nhancer.com
Old April 13th 07, 09:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Doe

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote:

adjust your game profiles through nhancer.

http://www.nhancer.com

Thanks, I just tried that. No contrast/brightness/gamma (except some
gamma setting for antialiasing).

As far as game profiles go, all I want to do is adjust contrast &
brightness and/or gamma for a game that doesn't provide at least gamma
correction. I find difficult to believe that those common settings are
difficult to program. Sure seems strange that they aren't available,
considering those game-specific adjustments are generally needed by
gamers.

Old April 13th 07, 02:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

John Doe wrote:
"Mr.E Solved!" wrote:

adjust your game profiles through nhancer.

http://www.nhancer.com

Thanks, I just tried that. No contrast/brightness/gamma (except some
gamma setting for antialiasing).

As far as game profiles go, all I want to do is adjust contrast &
brightness and/or gamma for a game that doesn't provide at least gamma
correction. I find difficult to believe that those common settings are
difficult to program. Sure seems strange that they aren't available,
considering those game-specific adjustments are generally needed by
gamers.

If you want to adjust gamma and/or brightness/contrast, and you do not
see those options in game, you can adjust B/C on your display device and
you can adjust gamma via the driver suite. You can't have missed that!

Yes, you need to adjust them for every application. No, nhancer does not
have settings for B/C/G, since it is easily adjusted outside the scope
of the drivers.

Which specific application are you having trouble with that does not
have any in-game settings and can't be adjusted via the mentioned
methods? Of all the games I have used, precious few lack in game display
adjustments, I refer to both Direct3D and OpenGL.

Even the Doom series, which have the darkest textures I've ever seen in
a game (even darker than the Quake series), has numerous ways to
brighten them, including .ini variables.

Old April 13th 07, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Doe

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote:

If you want to adjust gamma and/or brightness/contrast, and you do
not see those options in game, you can adjust B/C on your display
device and you can adjust gamma via the driver suite.

All I see is something about gamma for antialiasing, is there a slider
or numeric entry? If so, does it affect all the pixels on the screen?
Maybe you could be generous with your expertise and provide a path to
that setting?

You can't have missed that!

Of course I haven't missed the buttons on the monitor. But I'm talking
about programming here.

Yes, you need to adjust them for every application. No, nhancer does
not have settings for B/C/G, since it is easily adjusted outside
the scope of the drivers.

You mean every time I switch from Windows to the game I have to
manually adjust contrast/brightness/gamma on the monitor? That's what
I'm trying to avoid. I oftentimes switch between a game and the
Windows desktop.

Which specific application are you having trouble with that does not
have any in-game settings and can't be adjusted via the mentioned
methods?

Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2004. Supreme Commander. Some games like
Warcraft III have gamma adjustment but no contrast/brightness.

Of all the games I have used, precious few lack in game display
adjustments, I refer to both Direct3D and OpenGL.

I appreciate your attempt to help with the drivers, but you might want
to try a few more games.

Old April 15th 07, 05:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

John Doe wrote:

All I see is something about gamma for antialiasing, is there a slider
or numeric entry? If so, does it affect all the pixels on the screen?
Maybe you could be generous with your expertise and provide a path to
that setting?

Gamma Correct Antialiasing is an important toggle setting that applies
formulaic color correction to FSAA samples to provide a subjectively
superior image based on a non-linear Gamma ramp instead of linear one.
Such linear encoding vs. linear intensity provides for more even
stepping of brightness as we see it, rather than what the math says we
should see.

A vivid example of the value of GCAA is in Half Life 2, where the
overhead power lines and fencing are brought out in relief and are more
consistently rendered with and against the rich background colors and
varied lighting conditions. Try it for yourself.

You mean every time I switch from Windows to the game I have to
manually adjust contrast/brightness/gamma on the monitor? That's what
I'm trying to avoid. I oftentimes switch between a game and the
Windows desktop.

Yes, that is the unfortunate state of affairs. You must adjust each
application as you use them. To be clear, there is no gamma setting on
your monitor, only in the driver suite or application.

Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2004. Supreme Commander. Some games like
Warcraft III have gamma adjustment but no contrast/brightness.

FS9 has known borky internal FSAA. I recommend forcing all visual
enhancements in FS9 and FS9.1 externally.

Supreme Commander responds well to any and all DX3D visual changes. this
includes those on the color correction tab of your display driver.

WCIII, SC and other Blizzard Titles have substantial range in their
brightness settings. Though they have a dark default. Again, set the
game sliders as you wish, them adjust your monitor settings.

Of all the games I have used, precious few lack in game display
adjustments, I refer to both Direct3D and OpenGL.

I appreciate your attempt to help with the drivers, but you might want
to try a few more games.

I assure you, I have decades of experience with a vast, vast number of
games, and I reassert, most have standard and effective ways to do set
the displayed image however you desire. Combine the internal settings
with external driver based settings and your monitors controls and you
can achieve almost any particular look you desire. It's just that what
looks good for one game doesn't apply to another. So you are forced to
adjust you settings each and every time. There is no way around that.

I will mention this, BF2 is one of the few games that has faulty light
maps, and no iris bloom, so when you go from a dark interior to a lit
exterior, you are faced with overly dark unlit textures that are out of
place in the otherwise bright sun-lit exterior textures, and no amount
of .ini or driver fiddling will correct that. Such as a building's
vertical wall that is near black, but not in direct shadow and a clear sky.