Athlon XP 2400+ Asus A7V333 help please

Old January 27th 04, 12:07 AM
Chogaire

Default Athlon XP 2400+ Asus A7V333 help please

Hi all,

I'm very confused as to which Athlon XP 2400+ my Asus A7V333 (PCB rev 1.1)
can handle. Looking at the Asus site, I can only have the (Model 8?)
Thoroughbred, as the Thornton is for the PCB rev 2.0 version A7V333 only.

But I heard whisperings that it *could* actually take the Thornton but the
cache wouldn't be reached or something. As I'm a 'novice intermediate' I
would not bother getting the Thornton if it meant I had to tweak any BIOS
settings to allow this CPU, and would therefore just go with the
Thoroughbred - but I'm having difficulty finding a UK supplier with the
Thoroughbred in stock, and Thornton's are all over the place. Please can
someone advise me on this? Would I harm my board using the Thornton, or will
it plain not handle it as the Asus site suggests? Any help would be most
helpful.

Old January 27th 04, 06:45 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:07:25 +0000, Chogaire wrote:

Hi all,

I'm very confused as to which Athlon XP 2400+ my Asus A7V333 (PCB rev 1.1)
can handle. Looking at the Asus site, I can only have the (Model 8?)
Thoroughbred, as the Thornton is for the PCB rev 2.0 version A7V333 only.

But I heard whisperings that it *could* actually take the Thornton but the
cache wouldn't be reached or something. As I'm a 'novice intermediate' I
would not bother getting the Thornton if it meant I had to tweak any BIOS
settings to allow this CPU, and would therefore just go with the
Thoroughbred - but I'm having difficulty finding a UK supplier with the
Thoroughbred in stock, and Thornton's are all over the place. Please can
someone advise me on this? Would I harm my board using the Thornton, or will
it plain not handle it as the Asus site suggests? Any help would be most
helpful.

Why not just get a 2500+? Set divider to 5, fsb to 166-185, and/or raise
multiplier if you happen to one that's not locked. I'm not sure what a
thornton core is. What's the CPUID for it? A barton with only 256K L2
cache enabled?

Old January 27th 04, 06:57 AM
BigBadger

Not a good idea Wes...because the A7V333 rev1.1 only supports
133FSB.......for 166FSB support you would need the rev 2.0. Any chip you buy
now is very likely to be multiplier locked so getting a 166FSB chip and
increasing the multi/decreasing the FSB is no longer an option.

This rev of A7V333 would be ok for any Socket A cpu that runs on a 133MHz
FSB (266FSB in AMD speak) including the Thornton if they are available in
266FSB versions (the Thornton is just a Barton with half the L2 turned off)

news

Old January 27th 04, 07:32 PM
Chogaire

"esso" wrote in message
Look for a bios update....?
/Esso

That's my problem, it's not the bios..I have the right bios, it's the PCB
revision I'm lacking, but I can't see why it would not allow a Thorton, it
has exactly the same specs as the thoroughbred - they are just Barton's with
half the level 2 cache turned off. I just wish I could still find a 2400+
thoroughbred as AMD no longer make them, I don't really want the Thorton -
it's just that I thought *if* I could get away with it, but it looks as
though I can't because I don't have the rev 2.0 of my mobo.

Old January 27th 04, 08:26 PM
BigBadger

I think I mentioned earlier...as long as it runs on a 133MHz (266DDR) FSB
you can run any socket A cpu, including a Thornton. You could even run a
Barton but because they don't make any 133FSB bartons you would have to
underclock the FSB.

Old January 27th 04, 08:57 PM
Chogaire

"BigBadger" wrote in
This rev of A7V333 would be ok for any Socket A cpu that runs on a 133MHz
FSB (266FSB in AMD speak) including the Thornton if they are available in
266FSB versions (the Thornton is just a Barton with half the L2 turned

off)

Are you *dead* sure of this? When I look at the CPU support on the ASUS
website, it says that rev 1.1 will only allow the model 8 (thoroughbred) and
I would need rev 2.0 to allow the model 10 (Thorton). The only difference in
the two I can see is the voltage - with the thoroughbred/palamino at 1.75
and the thorton running at 1.65. Even though I have the right BIOS, 1.65 is
not a included option in the list in the BIOS, 1.75 is the minimum. As far
as the 266FSB is concerned then the 2400+ Thorton is exactly that, and my
board will happily have that as you say. I read somewhere on a forum last
night that someone was trying to run the model 10 thorton in a board that
would only *officially* allow the model 8 t-bred, and they were getting
crashes and stuff.

Old January 27th 04, 09:25 PM
BigBadger

Yep 'dead' sure...By the way, most T'breds run on 1.65V the same at
Thornton. The two CPU's are the same in every respect apart from the
Thornton has extra cache, which is disabled and 'invisible' to the
motherboard anyway...as long as it's 133FSB (266DDR) you will be fine.

"BigBadger" wrote in

Old January 27th 04, 09:48 PM
Chogaire

"BigBadger" wrote in message
Yep 'dead' sure...By the way, most T'breds run on 1.65V the same at
Thornton. The two CPU's are the same in every respect apart from the
Thornton has extra cache, which is disabled and 'invisible' to the
motherboard anyway...as long as it's 133FSB (266DDR) you will be fine.

That's good news. By the way, will the BIOS recognise the v core change in
the newly installed cpu and will it then show 1.65v as an option, as because
I have said, in my list of options it's only upwards of 1.75v and that is
what is concerning me and making me wonder if *that* is why the ASUS site is
telling me I need rev 2.0 of my mobo, and that could be the reason why I've
heard some model 10 Thortons are crashing PC's that should by rights take
the model 8 t-breds.

Old January 27th 04, 10:21 PM
BigBadger

I've just checked the Asus site and you are quite correct in the advice Asus
are giving. I've got to say that I've not actually tried a Thornton on a rev
1.1 (my system uses a rev2.0 board)...I cant see any reason at all why they
would not work...FSB is ok, voltage is ok....If it were me I'd be happy to
give it a try...but maybe when I said 'dead' sure I was being over
confident...It's up to you.