Presario 5184 - how to access CMOS setup?

Old January 12th 04, 09:13 PM
Alan Braun

Default Presario 5184 - how to access CMOS setup?

I acquired an old Presario 5184 recently. It had Win2000 installed on it.
The OS has become corrupt and I'm trying to install Win98 on it, after
repartitioning and reformatting the HD to get rid of all the old stuff. I'm
seeing a couple of messages during boot-up that make me think there is some
OS-specific information in the CMOS. The usual tricks of hitting the DEL or
F1 keys, like I've used in the past to access Phoenix BIOS's aren't working.
How do you get into the CMOS setup of a Presario?

BTW, the error msgs I'm seeing include:

Press F1 or F11 to start Windows 2000 (right after the BIOS and IDE
controller have loaded but before anything else)

NTLDR missing (after initial setup of Win98, when it reboots the 1st time -
I can't get back into the Win98 setup at that point)

Thanks for any help/suggestions

Alan Braun

Old January 12th 04, 09:55 PM
andrew2000

as soon as you boot the system the Compaq logo will appear on the screen,
when a small white square appears on the top right of the screen - press
f10. All of my Compaq's are like this, hope it works for you, also there is
a bios update on Compaq site which you might be interested in. Good luck

Andrew

nk.net...

Old January 14th 04, 06:14 AM
andrew2000

f10 at Compaq start-up screen
Andrew

"Alan Braun" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Cannot access bios setup for SK8N MB Dale Asus Motherboards 3 January 16th 05 11:20 PM
V50SP mainboard setup access blocked Bart Bervoets Acer Computers 0 April 18th 04 08:56 PM
Pls Help--Need to access the BIOS of a Compaq Presario CDS 860 Phisherman Homebuilt PC's 3 January 23rd 04 01:48 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 1 August 7th 03 11:24 PM
A7N8X can't access bios setup at all, hangs at "WARNING!! CPU HAVE BEEN CHANGED" John Q Public Asus Motherboards 2 July 19th 03 06:46 PM