Bios with SCSI card 2940 in W4000

Old December 21st 03, 02:18 PM
Alan Kerr

Default Bios with SCSI card 2940 in W4000

I fitted a 2940 SCSI card to my W4000. Adaptec haven't written a driver
for XP to support the 2940 but it works fine with the XP driver. The
problem is when I boot up it stalls and I have to hit F1 for it to
finish booting up. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem

Thanks
Alan

Old December 21st 03, 03:47 PM
Alan Kerr

Initializing Intel Boot Agent Version 4.1.08
PXE 2.1 Build 083 (WfM 2.0) RPL V2.74
Adaptec AHA-2940 BIOS V1.16
(c) 1995 Adaptec, Inc, All Rights Reserved
Press CtrlA for SCSI Select (Tm) Utility
BIOS not installed

F1 Boot

Tom that's most the screen g any help appreciated

Alan

Old December 21st 03, 05:26 PM
Tom Scales

Ah.

If I understand the process correctly, Lines 1&2 are a DIFFERENT message
than the remaining lines and are UNRELATED to your 2940.

PXE is the process to boot your machine from a LAN image of the OS. It
sounds like your LAN card supports it, but doesn't have the PXE BIOS
installed. Not uncommon. Go into the BIOS and look around for boot options.
Make sure LAN is not in the order.

Let us know if that works.

Tom

Old December 21st 03, 10:16 PM
Alan Kerr

Tom, the boot order is:

IDE CD-Rom Drive First
Diskette Drive (A) Second
USB Drive Third
HDD (C) Fourth
Compaq Ethernet controller Fifth

It doesn't mention LAN in the order.

Cheers
Alan

Tom Scales wrote:

What's the error message that is making it stall?
.. .

Old December 22nd 03, 01:28 AM
Alan Kerr

I tried it and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Should I enmable it
again or is it meant to be diabled?

Alan

Tom Scales wrote:

Ah.

If I understand the process correctly, Lines 1&2 are a DIFFERENT

message

than the remaining lines and are UNRELATED to your 2940.

PXE is the process to boot your machine from a LAN image of the OS.

It

sounds like your LAN card supports it, but doesn't have the PXE BIOS
installed. Not uncommon. Go into the BIOS and look around for boot

options.

Make sure LAN is not in the order.

Let us know if that works.

Tom
. ..

Tom Scales wrote:

What's the error message that is making it stall?
. ..

Old December 22nd 03, 02:29 AM
Tom Scales

Doesn't matter, as you'll never boot from it. Something is forcing it to
try to network boot.

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:

Ah.

If I understand the process correctly, Lines 1&2 are a DIFFERENT

message

than the remaining lines and are UNRELATED to your 2940.

PXE is the process to boot your machine from a LAN image of the OS.

It

sounds like your LAN card supports it, but doesn't have the PXE BIOS
installed. Not uncommon. Go into the BIOS and look around for boot

options.

Make sure LAN is not in the order.

Let us know if that works.

Tom
. ..

Tom Scales wrote:

What's the error message that is making it stall?
. ..

Old December 22nd 03, 06:41 PM
DEJ57

I'll try and help but I am a little confused.
The error message appears to be telling you that the BIOS for the 2940 is not
being installed. With my 2940, during boot, I always get a message saying
"BIOS successfully installed!" (OS WIN95b). I'm not sure but I think the 2940
has very specific resources required and perhaps you are having some type of
conflict causing the BIOS not to be installed. Moving the card around in
different slots might be a simple cure. Look in Device Manager for conflicts
and make changes to cure them.

But the confusion is that you said the 2940 works fine, and I don't understand
how that happens if the BIOS for it doesn't get loaded/installed. Perhaps your
OS has drivers of its own that let it work for you, and you don't need the
Adaptec BIOS installed during boot? It might just be that you will just have
to live with an F1 step during boot and count your blessing the controller and
SCSI devices work once the OS is loaded.....

Dale