bit-bang serial port driver; is source avalible

Old November 18th 04, 06:57 AM
Jack Z

Default bit-bang serial port driver; is source avalible

I'm prototyping code for an embedded processor project using DOS. I'm using
DOS because I'm not yet sure exactly what the target microprocessor will be
and DOS is closer to the hardware than Windows (or Linux for that matter).
I'd forgotten how much fun DOS was to use for this sort of thing. As it
turns out I NEED TWO SERIAL PORTS ON A LAP TOP for the demo. I have about 10
old (IBM and a few other) laptops but none has two serial ports. I thought
I'd write the code for a bit banged serial port using the COM1 handshake
lines to give a second serial port, allowing the use of only connector. I've
done this sort of thing with various microprocessor years ago but never with
a PC. The final design will only need one serial port, but 'till then:

Does anyone know where I can get the source (C or even ASM) for a bit banged
serial port for a PC (preferably using the COM1 handshake lines)?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks You,
Jack
Subj:bit-bang serial port driver; is source avalible

Old November 18th 04, 02:49 PM
Sergej Srepfler

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:57:16 -0800, "Jack Z" wrote:

[...]

Why not use paralel2serial converter? It shouldn't be too expensive.
Or even USB2serial if your application can support it.

Using handshake lines to simulate another port is futile effort if you have to
obtain any speed or accuracy since hardware interrupts break your timings to
shreads.
But for small speed I believe it could be done, as long as amount of data is not
big, and you use some handshaking. External clock is a bliss in that case.

Old November 19th 04, 02:30 AM
David Maynard

Sergej Srepfler wrote:

[...]

Another alternative is a PCMCIA serial port card. They add 'standard'
serial ports.

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 11:49 PM
Update on Athlon 2600 Ghz discrepancy David Simmons Overclocking AMD Processors 7 August 27th 04 08:56 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Infrared port source? kony General 0 December 12th 03 03:11 AM