Warranty after replacement ?

Old June 22nd 08, 04:59 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

Default Warranty after replacement ?

I was asked to setup email on a new pc for a friend and when I told him
that it didn't have Outlook on the new PC , that he should return it to
see if he could get Office installed from factory ( rather than spend $$$
to now go buy it at a store). He said he couldn't return it. I asked " why
not". He told me this story. Does this sound right to you ?

upgraded/extended warranty.
2. gave to employee.
3. After 2 weeks employee says " Pc won't boot".
4. Mgr brings back to Best Buy. They try to repair it but after a few days
they couldn't ( I don't know why) ,so they swapped it for new one and then
told mgr that " since we swapped this for a new one, the warranty ( which
is serial number related) is now void."

I said that there MUST be a way for them to transfer the warranty to the
replacement. He said that he asked and was told that there was not. I
told him to call HP etc... to at least get a refund of the extended
warranty.

Anyone have experience with this ?

Old June 22nd 08, 06:19 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Jeff Strickland

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I have no experience, but I would not accept a cancelled warranty because
they honored it once. Somebody is full of crap.

If the machine is running Vista, it will have Windows Mail instead of
Outlook Express. Outlook (the full version) is a part of Office, and is not
included. If the first machine had Office loaded, then the second should
have it also.

Old June 22nd 08, 06:54 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Postman delivers

- Bobb - wrote:

[...]

* * *
Bobb,

Outlook is part of Microsoft's Office Suite. Not a free program, but most
new computers with the Windows Operating Systems come with a 90 day trial
version. Outlook is certainly a far better, and much more secure e-mail
program than Outlook Express/Windows Mail.

You do have many free options, your employ can use Open Office suite, and
You can also also chose from a great number of e-mail client software...

Alpine,
Becky,
PMMail 2000,
Pegasus Mail,
Poco Mail,
Eudora,
The Bat!,
and
Mozilla Thunderbird.

JR the postman
Old June 22nd 08, 07:52 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message
That's not right. Replacement machine should be covered by balance of
original warranty (extended or not).

I agree - and told him to call HP directly. There's got to be a way of
changing BestBuy's warranty records with HP. In fact, I would assume that
HP only knows that warranty# 123456 is valid - or maybe - assigned to Best
Buy: not that it is yet associated with " John Smith" until John Smith
registers.

UNLESSSSS Bestbuy keeps the cash - uses their Geek Squad for repair
calls - and never notifies HP at all ?? Just speculation as I've never
used their warranties, but it would be one way to justify in-house
repairs.

That said, unless there is a huge price advantage, you are better off
with retail software than with OEM software (e.g. do not get the
software with the computer, buy it yourself later .... again, unless
there is a huge price advantage).

I suggested he return it to get the OEM version so that he could get the "
Pro Version" of Office.
His came with Excel, Word and OneNote ( which I'll call "package A') and
he COULD get it with " Package B" ( I saw on their site) which included
all of "Package A" + Outlook for $15 more. That package is only available
via OEM ( I saw at HP/MSFT site). To buy just Outlook is $109 retail.

Old June 22nd 08, 08:23 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Baron[_3_]

- Bobb - wrote:
[...]

Its a replacement for a faulty product. He is entitled to have a
replacement or a refund for the whole purchase. I would have demanded
a full refund and started the transaction again or gone elsewhere.
Sounds a bit con merchant'ish to me !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Old June 24th 08, 08:18 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Steven M. Haflich

- Bobb - wrote:
Anyone have experience with this ?

I have done considerable business with HP directly, and have twice had a
failed, unrepairable laptop replaced by them. In both cases the 1-year
manufacturer warranty was reset to the date the new machine was placed
in service.

I have not discussed this with HP or anyone else, but it seems to me
that time-limited warranties (whether 30 days, 90 days, or 1 year) are
intended as protection against infant failures, where a manufacturing
weakness in some component causes a failure in the early product
lifetime. Most failures occur either very early in the lifetime of a
clump of hardware, or else very late in its expected lifetime.
Extending the warranty of a replacement item to cover the possibility of
new infant failures in an early-in-the-lifetime replacement is a
reasonable and honorable thing for a manufacturer to do.

I wouldn't let Best Buy get away with it. I expect HP would have been
more honorable.
Old June 24th 08, 02:25 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Ben Myers

Honor and ethics are obsolete concepts in American business and government these
days... Ben Myers

Old June 28th 08, 01:14 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Joe Bob Brigg

I agree - and told him to call HP directly. There's got to be a way of
changing BestBuy's warranty records with HP. In fact, I would assume
that HP only knows that warranty# 123456 is valid - or maybe -
assigned to Best Buy: not that it is yet associated with " John Smith"
until John Smith registers.

UNLESSSSS Bestbuy keeps the cash - uses their Geek Squad for repair
calls - and never notifies HP at all ?? Just speculation as I've
never used their warranties, but it would be one way to justify
in-house repairs.

Best Buy has been caught defrauding the public in multiple ways and
instances. Your friend should be more insistant and complain up the chain
of command of Best Buy (ie, dept manager-store manager-corporate office.)
If he doesn't get satisfaction he should contact the state's attorney and
go to the Better Business web page and file a complaint. Usually, by time
I've reached that stage and they've been contacted by the BB and/or AG,
they are ready to jump through hoops to rectify the problem.

Joe Bob