Old August 3rd 07, 10:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Leanin' Cedar

Default previous post X/P media center will not boot

Got the problem fixed in a previous thread, the only minor problem is the PC
will not boot directly to mediacenter, instead she gets a screen asking
which OS she wants to boot to. MediaCenter XP is the only OS on the PC.
After hitting enter it boots OK

I suppose this has something to do with rebuilding the boot.ini file etc.
from here
http://icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp

Is this something that a chkdsk volume:/f might repair, or just leave it
alone since everything else is working?

Thanks
Bob

Old August 4th 07, 12:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

click start, point to mycomputer, right click, select properties, select
advanced tab, under systemandrecovery click settings. under systemstartup
you can select the default operating system.

Old August 4th 07, 12:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Leanin' Cedar

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
link.net...
click start, point to mycomputer, right click, select properties, select
advanced tab, under systemandrecovery click settings. under systemstartup
you can select the default operating system.

Thanks for the reply. This seems easier and safer than an edit of the
boot.in file.

I will email (300 miles away) this information to her, and will get back and
let you know that the fix worked.

Thanks
Bob

Old August 4th 07, 09:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Leanin' Cedar

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
link.net...
click start, point to mycomputer, right click, select properties, select
advanced tab, under systemandrecovery click settings. under systemstartup
you can select the default operating system.

That did not work for her, have asked her if her OS was available under
systemstartup,
and to "carefully" copy her boot.in file and send it to me.

Will post the results of the boot.ini. She is having some health problems
and it may be a day or so before she gets to me.

I have asked her to send me a guest invite with logmein, but not certain she
fully understands that function.

Thanks
Bob

Old August 4th 07, 07:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

didn't you install logmein on her machine? don't you already know the
username/password, and computername/password, and windows
username/password... just have her turn on the pc and you can get in...
logmein automatically installs the host software and autostarts it when
windows starts. she does not even have to be logged in.

Old August 4th 07, 08:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Leanin' Cedar

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
didn't you install logmein on her machine? don't you already know the
username/password, and computername/password, and windows
username/password... just have her turn on the pc and you can get in...
logmein automatically installs the host software and autostarts it when
windows starts. she does not even have to be logged in.

She is concerned about security, and has logmein disabled, and only wants to
use it on a guest invite basis. This is like beating my head against a brick
wall.

I will try once again to have her enable it for at least a day. We are both
on dialup so I will need to deal with frequent disconnects while trying to
help.

Bob

..

Old August 5th 07, 05:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

"Leanin' Cedar" wrote in message

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
didn't you install logmein on her machine? don't you already know the
username/password, and computername/password, and windows
username/password... just have her turn on the pc and you can get in...
logmein automatically installs the host software and autostarts it when
windows starts. she does not even have to be logged in.

She is concerned about security, and has logmein disabled, and only wants
to use it on a guest invite basis. This is like beating my head against a
brick wall.

I will try once again to have her enable it for at least a day. We are
both on dialup so I will need to deal with frequent disconnects while
trying to help.

Bob

ugh. it is kind and generous of you to offer to help her, but realistically
you can't give your distance. if you do something remotely that prevents
her machine from starting there is nothing that you can do for her remotely.
stop while you are ahead (her system does boot, clumsy as it may be). walk
away.

Old August 5th 07, 12:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Leanin' Cedar

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
ugh. it is kind and generous of you to offer to help her, but
realistically you can't give your distance. if you do something remotely
that prevents her machine from starting there is nothing that you can do
for her remotely. stop while you are ahead (her system does boot, clumsy
as it may be). walk away.

My thoughts also, I will probably visit again in a couple of months and will
be able to give it a hands on.

Thanks
Bob