Hard Drive Failures

Old June 22nd 06, 11:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Hard Drive Failures

Help! I have a Compaq PC (i kno don't laugh) that is 4.5 years old.
I have had to replace the HD countless times. The last time I
purchased an 80GB Maxtor HD. Now the system is telling me it is about
to fail. I have had some other issues with the system lately, too, but
it all comes down to the same problem... the system just locks up,
period.

Recently I noticed during a restart a message flashed against the black
screen saying something was not working correctly, but it was there and
gone so quickly I couldn't read it.

I am getting the info about the HD failing from the Event Viewer --
Systems log.

I have no idea where to begin. Please let me know what data you need
from me about my setup and I will post it.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance

Old June 22nd 06, 11:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"dolphiness1976" wrote in message
oups.com...
Help! I have a Compaq PC (i kno don't laugh) that is 4.5 years old.
I have had to replace the HD countless times. The last time I
purchased an 80GB Maxtor HD. Now the system is telling me it is about
to fail.

Have you tried to run the Maxtor diagnostics on it?

Are you changing the cable when you change the drive?

Could be a failing power supply as well.

Old June 27th 06, 05:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Let's look at a few things:

Have you recently installed new hardware? Check Device Manager
How often do you do maintenance on the HDD?
Registry scan?
How is your cooling in the case?
What direction is/are the fan(s) blowing?
What is the System Temp under load? (If you are running too hot, you
could shorten the life of your stuffs.)
How much RAM do you have? I recommend at least 512Meg.

Like Noozer said, Check your cables and Power suppy... Time to update?