inks for Canon I860 Color Inkjet Printer

Old July 4th 04, 02:41 AM
Aaron Epstein

Default inks for Canon I860 Color Inkjet Printer

I have the Canon I860 printer. The original Canon Inks that came with
the printer produced excellent color prints. When the cartridges were
depleted , I replaced them with generic cartridges from China that
cost between $2 & $3. each. The
results were TERRIBLE. Not knowing the problem was the ink or the
printer, I tossed out all of the generics & inserted genuine Canon
brand that cost approx 4 times as much. The results with the Canon
were excellent and as good as the original prints made when the
printer was first installed.

NOW, I am prepared to purchase only Canon inks. However, if there is
anyone reading this that does use third party inks for their Canon
I860, with results as good as the original Canon inks, please advise!
I'd be interested in knowing.

All replies welcomed that pertain to use in Canon printers only.!

best, Aaron in N. Hollywood
Old July 4th 04, 04:56 AM
Taliesyn

Aaron Epstein wrote:
I have the Canon I860 printer. The original Canon Inks that came with
the printer produced excellent color prints. When the cartridges were
depleted , I replaced them with generic cartridges from China that
cost between $2 & $3. each. The
results were TERRIBLE. Not knowing the problem was the ink or the
printer, I tossed out all of the generics & inserted genuine Canon
brand that cost approx 4 times as much. The results with the Canon
were excellent and as good as the original prints made when the
printer was first installed.

NOW, I am prepared to purchase only Canon inks. However, if there is
anyone reading this that does use third party inks for their Canon
I860, with results as good as the original Canon inks, please advise!
I'd be interested in knowing.

Sure. I use only genuine cartridges from Canon (two sets on rotation)
and then refill them with high quality ink from atlanticinkjet.com. This
is the good stuff, it prints like Canon. I've done tests, maybe not of
professional nature, but yet to notice any difference in printouts.
No colour difference, no abnormal fading, and no running or feathering
of text and images. Side by side tests with text seemed identical to
my eyes. I used a magnifier lens to check the feathering.

My original idea was to buy those cheaply priced eBay cartridges that
sell for like $1 or $2 each. I actually ordered two sets, took one look
at them and promptly tossed them out. Correction, I did try the black
cartridge and immediately noticed it was runny, text was extremely
feathered, almost like very wet dot matrix ink. Gross stuff! That was
enough for me to toss the black cartridges, ALONG WITH the color ones,
which I hadn't tried yet, in the garbage! Live and learn.

Never use "Universal" ink or any ink that says it's good for all
printers. It has to be MADE for that printer line or cartridge model.

If you refill, keep the original orange Canon break-off caps, as they
are perfect for sealing the exit hole when refilling. Wrap strong rubber
bands around the cap and the cartridge. I drill a small hole (1/16"
drill) at the top, near the back, fill with ink (Important: 90% full,
not 100%) and then seal the hole with very tiny stainless steel (won't
rust) set screws, size 2-56 x 1/8. The screws and the matching 2-56
Allen Key can be obtained from microfasteners.com. The last time I
bought them they were 20 screws for $2.90. I don't remember the price of
the Allen Key. They're inexpensive anyway. I ordered 5 as they're quite
thin and could break. You probably won't find this special sized Allen
Key in any store. You must order it too, same place.

The screw will go in quite tightly the first time. But you need a tight
fit to avoid leaks. Pay close attention to that little plastic locking
arm that sticks out from the cartridge. Very easily broken off while
handling the cartridge, dooming it. KEEP THAT IN MIND AT ALL TIMES.
I've learned my lesson the hard way.

But I love this screw system (that someone suggested last year) because
it's both efficient and cosmetically attractive. Others have suggested
glue guns. Tried it as a test on a scrap cartridge. I found it an
unattractive, sticky option. You can never be sure the hole is 100%
covered/sealed. The hole that I drill is very small, the needle barely
passes. The set screws are about the height and width of this letter
"I", depending on your screen resolution - or about 2mm wide and a tad
over 3mm long.

After 16 months I've had no clogs, no streaks, no funny color. When one
color is empty I replace all 3 colors as a unit with my backup set of
cartridges. It simplifies the changing operation - doesn't interrupt me
again, sometimes just a few minutes later, or in the middle of long
print job. The black gets changed separately from the color unit.

I'm very satisfied with the ink from Atlanticinkjet. I wouldn't switch.
Costs me about $5 to refill all 4 cartridges. Genuine Canon, with tax,
would set me back about $125 here in Canada if bought at a department
store. I do get a better deal at $75 plus tax at Costco for 2 blacks
and 1 of each colour.

P.S. I do not work for atlanticinkjet. This is just an honest
testimonial since you asked for advice. Note: refilling isn't messy.
At most I get a few little spots on my hands from carelessness. You
may find it challenging the first time until you get a little practice.
Now it's child's play. I've refilled all four major brands of
printers. By far the Canon is easiest with their transparent cartridges.
You always know exactly how full it is when refilling and you never have
to wait until they stop dripping after refilling. They simply do not
drip, like Lexmark and HP cartridges.

-Taliesyn

Old July 4th 04, 03:51 PM
Aaron Epstein

Dear Taliesyn: thank's for your very informative reply. It's filled
with good info. I don't know if I'm ready to tackle refilling
cartriges yet, but I did go to Atlanticinkjet's web site and saw that
they sell ink in their own "compatible" cartridges. Do you or anyone
reading this have experience with
these cartridges and the ink that is in them?

Also, you mentioned having to drill holes in genuine Canon cartridges
in order to refill them. Does Atlantic Ink or any other vendor sell
empty cartridges that do not need holes drilled in them for fillling?

Again, thank you for your input. It is well appreciated! Aaron

Old July 4th 04, 04:10 PM
Mickey

Aaron Epstein wrote:

[...]

I can tell you what I've done and experienced so far. I purchase bulk
ink from www.inksupply.com and they have a good reputation for quality
inks. In addition to buying ink in bottles I purchased a set of
"generics" from them. My thinking was a Co that had a good reputation
for qlty inks wasn't going to ruin it with junk generics.

This past week it was time to replace the color carts so in went the
generics. Have printed quite a few photos this week and I'm real
pleased with these cheap carts. Refilled the original carts with the
bulk ink and sealed the carts with the rubber plugs that are
available. Just took a look at the refilled carts and none are
leaking. Would think if they were going to leak one would see it
after a weeks time.

The generics from inksupply run about $4-5 each but they have a full
set of 5 for the I860 for $18. No brand name on them but package does
indicate they were made in a ISO9001 factory. The price was right and
when I have need to another set of carts for refilling, I would go
this way again.

Mickey
Old July 4th 04, 05:42 PM
Aaron Epstein

Dear Taliesyn: PS to my previous post. I wrote to Atlantic via
e-mail asking if the ink in their cartridges was the SAME as the
refill ink that they sell & their reply was that it may be different.
This being the situation, and that you strongly recommend Atlantic
refill ink, is there any vendor that sells cartridges that contain the
same ink as Atlantic ink, OR, contain ink that is as satisfactory as
the ink in original Canon cartridges?

best, Aaron

Old July 4th 04, 08:42 PM
Taliesyn

Aaron Epstein wrote:
Dear Taliesyn: PS to my previous post. I wrote to Atlantic via
e-mail asking if the ink in their cartridges was the SAME as the
refill ink that they sell & their reply was that it may be different.
This being the situation, and that you strongly recommend Atlantic
refill ink, is there any vendor that sells cartridges that contain the
same ink as Atlantic ink, OR, contain ink that is as satisfactory as
the ink in original Canon cartridges?

best, Aaron

Aaron,

Yes, I've heard that too, that their cartridges contain different inks.
That's why I stick with their proven bulk inks.

There are cartridges with "OEM Quality" ink, but I don't have any
further info as to who sells them. I remember checking last year but
found the cost still too high for me here in Canada (shipping, two
taxes, currency exchange, etc). Atlantic has separate divisions in
Canada and the US, so it's convenient for me.

Refilling may be a bit of a challenge if you've never done it. But
now it's second nature for me ("easy as pie"). The job is made easier
because the cartridges are see through (you always see how much you've
put it) and they don't leak from the bottom after refilling like those
from HP and Lexmark (provided you inserted the screw!).

-Taliesyn

Old July 5th 04, 12:04 AM
Taliesyn

Bill wrote:
Taliesyn wrote:

[edited]

Just and FYI, AtlanticInkjet includes in its kits a ball-seal remover
and replacement ball-seals to securely reseal the original refill hole.
There is no need to drill holes and use screws. The refill kits also
have clip-on attachments to seal the exit hole so you don't get any
leaks when refilling.

Using the supplied tools, it takes me about 5 minutes to refill all four
cartridges without making a mess or spilling a drop of ink.

You mean no more drill and screw? But I was enjoying the bit of
carpentry work on my cartridges! Someone always finds a way to take
the fun out of work...

And I suppose the refill hole is large enough to accommodate the
little needle nosed plastic refill bottles they sell. Gee, that would
eliminate just about all the tricky work, like hoping we won't spill
the bottle when filling the syringes. I'll have to check this out with
my next order.

Thanks for tip, Bill!

-Taliesyn

Old July 5th 04, 12:42 PM
beezer

On 4 Jul 2004 09:42:19 -0700, (Aaron Epstein)
wrote:

Dear Taliesyn: PS to my previous post. I wrote to Atlantic via
e-mail asking if the ink in their cartridges was the SAME as the
refill ink that they sell & their reply was that it may be different.
This being the situation, and that you strongly recommend Atlantic
refill ink, is there any vendor that sells cartridges that contain the
same ink as Atlantic ink, OR, contain ink that is as satisfactory as
the ink in original Canon cartridges?

best, Aaron

www.alotofthings.com

They also use forumlabs ink in most of their cartridges. You would
have to email Joe to see if its used in your needed cartridge.

I would suggest getting bulk inks as well. You can also get blank
cartridges that are made to refill. They have a rubber plug that
removes for refilling. It can not be simpler

Old July 5th 04, 02:32 PM
Taliesyn

wrote:

Dear Taliesyn: PS to my previous post. I wrote to Atlantic via
e-mail asking if the ink in their cartridges was the SAME as the
refill ink that they sell & their reply was that it may be different.
This being the situation, and that you strongly recommend Atlantic
refill ink, is there any vendor that sells cartridges that contain the
same ink as Atlantic ink, OR, contain ink that is as satisfactory as
the ink in original Canon cartridges?

best, Aaron

www.alotofthings.com

They also use forumlabs ink in most of their cartridges. You would
have to email Joe to see if its used in your needed cartridge.

I would suggest getting bulk inks as well. You can also get blank
cartridges that are made to refill. They have a rubber plug that
removes for refilling. It can not be simpler

It should be simpler. alotofthings.com doesn't ship outside the US.

But no need, atlanticinkjet.com does ship - it has separate divisions
in the US and Canada. I don't know about shipments to elsewhere, you'd
have to inquire.

-Taliesyn

Old July 5th 04, 05:03 PM
Aaron Epstein

Hi Mickey: thank's for report on your experience.! I do have a
question. What does ISO9001 mean? best, Aaron

Mickey wrote in message ...
Aaron Epstein wrote:

[...]

Solution: printing directly to a networked printer JP Printers 0 February 15th 04 11:44 PM
When does Canon I860 use the black pigment inks Rick Printers 2 January 13th 04 02:51 AM
deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 09:16 AM
Are all printer inks similar, or do they vary on printer manufacturer? Safetymom123 Printers 2 September 3rd 03 03:46 AM