JetDirect troubles

Old September 15th 03, 01:08 PM
Oodini

Default JetDirect troubles

Hello,

I've got an HP LaserJet 5M printer, with a JetDirect card.

When I plug the printer to my the PC's NIC with a network cable, the
LEDs are not lit on the NIC (the printer and the PC are then switched on).

What do you think about that ? Thanks.

Old September 15th 03, 05:50 PM
bob

Oodini wrote in :

Hello,

I've got an HP LaserJet 5M printer, with a JetDirect card.

When I plug the printer to my the PC's NIC with a network cable, the
LEDs are not lit on the NIC (the printer and the PC are then switched
on).

What do you think about that ? Thanks.

You can't plug the printer into the NIC with a network cable. You either
plug both of them into a hub, or you buy a special "crossover" cable to
connect them directly.

Bob
Old September 16th 03, 09:28 PM
No One You Know - Yet

"bob" 1xwj.ReverseThePartBeforeTheDot@bellsouthnet wrote in message
| Oodini wrote in :
|
| Hello,
|
| I've got an HP LaserJet 5M printer, with a JetDirect card.
|
| When I plug the printer to my the PC's NIC with a network cable, the
| LEDs are not lit on the NIC (the printer and the PC are then switched
| on).
|
| What do you think about that ? Thanks.
|

| You can't plug the printer into the NIC with a network cable. You either
| plug both of them into a hub, or you buy a special "crossover" cable to
| connect them directly.
|
| Bob

Or simpler just buy a cheap hub and plug PC and printer into hub.. Then be
sure you configure the HP printer's IP address, subnet mask to same range as
your PC, and that you do enable the TCP/IP protocol etc etc in the printer.
Then once you have done this you should be able to go to your PC, and then
add printer, and depending on which OS you are using... determines which
method you use to easily add the printer.