Voodoo5 5500 display adapter question

Old August 5th 03, 03:19 AM
BRH

Default Voodoo5 5500 display adapter question

Hi all. I replaced my Voodoo3 display adapter with a Voodoo5 5500.
When booting the PC, I now notice that the BIOS screen is white on black
where it previously showed up in color. The BIOS is byAward. Is there
some way to get the color setting back?

Regards,

Bjoern Hehmann

Old August 5th 03, 12:31 PM
Perdita X. Dream

BRH wrote:
Hi all. I replaced my Voodoo3 display adapter with a Voodoo5 5500.
When booting the PC, I now notice that the BIOS screen is white on black
where it previously showed up in color. The BIOS is byAward. Is there
some way to get the color setting back?

Regards,

Bjoern Hehmann

Just call it idle curiosity, but why did you replace one card from a defunct
manufacturer with another? If it's because of the age of the system then
there are plenty of lower end cards that will run on older machines. I have
a P2-400 running a lower end GF2 - nothing fancy, but it works and it's
still supported by its chipset manufacturer.

--
Perdita X. Dream

Please help us to help you
http://groups.google.com
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Please note that the reply address is fake.
Keep all posts to the groups as private requests for assistance
(i.e. email/IM) cannot be acknowledged. Thank you.

Old August 5th 03, 01:52 PM
AJ

BRH wrote:
Hi all. I replaced my Voodoo3 display adapter with a Voodoo5 5500.
When booting the PC, I now notice that the BIOS screen is white on black
where it previously showed up in color. The BIOS is byAward. Is there
some way to get the color setting back?

Regards,

Bjoern Hehmann

Just call it idle curiosity, but why did you replace one card from a defunct
manufacturer with another?

If he plays old games like CS, nothing is better than the VooDoo5. I
was forced to get a GF4 5200 256MB card since my new mobo won't take
that card with 2 sections instead of 3. CS sucks with the GF4 card.
_________________________
When your PC gives a little they give alot:
http://tinyurl.com/hhez
Old August 5th 03, 05:08 PM
WebWalker

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 02:19:17 GMT, "BRH" wrote:

Hi all. I replaced my Voodoo3 display adapter with a Voodoo5 5500.
When booting the PC, I now notice that the BIOS screen is white on black
where it previously showed up in color. The BIOS is byAward. Is there
some way to get the color setting back?

Try to go to Bios help screen.
I think you can change the screen colour by repeating pressing certain
key.

--
WebWalker

PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279
Old August 5th 03, 05:48 PM
Perdita X. Dream

AJ wrote:
BRH wrote:
Hi all. I replaced my Voodoo3 display adapter with a Voodoo5 5500.
When booting the PC, I now notice that the BIOS screen is white on black
where it previously showed up in color. The BIOS is byAward. Is there
some way to get the color setting back?

Regards,

Bjoern Hehmann

Just call it idle curiosity, but why did you replace one card from a
defunct manufacturer with another?

If he plays old games like CS, nothing is better than the VooDoo5. I
was forced to get a GF4 5200 256MB card since my new mobo won't take
that card with 2 sections instead of 3. CS sucks with the GF4 card.
_________________________
When your PC gives a little they give alot:
http://tinyurl.com/hhez

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no such thing as a GF4 5200 - that's an
FX card, it's a totally different chipset.

Old August 5th 03, 06:13 PM
rcm

Usually, if the BIOS is black and white, the video card has a problem. In
my experience, it was the video cable not being on tight to the card.

Check your video cables connector pins to see if they are all straight.
Please note that on some monitors it is normal for the video cable plug to
be missing some pins completely. Usually 2-3. These wires are not used for
signals and the manufacturer saves a small amount of money not putting in
those pins.

Old August 7th 03, 07:44 PM

Perdita X. Dream kenjka:
Just call it idle curiosity, but why did you replace one card from a defunct
manufacturer with another? If it's because of the age of the system then
there are plenty of lower end cards that will run on older machines. I have
a P2-400 running a lower end GF2 - nothing fancy, but it works and it's
still supported by its chipset manufacturer.

I own one Voodoo5 5500 too... And, I must say that it's a great card... 2D
picture quality is almost like Matrox... For 2D it's a good choice, and for
3D - if you're a nostalgia-man, why not? Glide games can still be found, and
with 3Dfx cards, they simply fly... Also OpenGL games fly too... I remember
that when I played Deus Ex via DirectX it was awfull, but when switched to
OpenGL, I couldn't believe how fast can I play...

Voodoo5 5500 is for 3dfx-nostalgia, and no nVidia or ATI can replace that...
Sorry, but there are 3dfx-followers still... You can find drivers on
several webpages...

--
Rasisto likuje bradat kondomu guru za pet minuta
u helikopteru ? By runf

Damir Lukic,
a member of hr.comp.hardver FAQ-team
Old August 9th 03, 03:03 AM
BRH

Thanks for the reply. Once past the BIOS stage, the colors are normal.
The connector pins are all present and straight and screwed on tight.

Regards,

Bjoern

. ca...

Old August 9th 03, 03:06 AM
BRH

Thanks for the reply. As correctly assumed by some of the other
users, I use the Voodoo 3dfx chipset card for games such as Red Baron 3D
and some racing sims by Infogrames and Codemasters.

Bjoern.