Wifi

Old July 13th 04, 10:17 AM
Ari Oppenheimer

Default Wifi

Hi,
I want to set up a Wifi connection that can go a distance of 2km. This will
go from one house to another.

1) Is this possible?
2) If so, what equipment do I need?
3) What are the costs of the above?

Thanks in advance!

Old July 13th 04, 11:58 AM

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:17:10 +0200, "Ari Oppenheimer"
wrote:

Hi,
I want to set up a Wifi connection that can go a distance of 2km. This will
go from one house to another.

1) Is this possible?
2) If so, what equipment do I need?
3) What are the costs of the above?

Thanks in advance!

Try to find a cheapo router and card sale.
They go on every month nowadays.

Check here and Newegg.com for deals
http://www.salescircular.com/ca/computer/wrlsnp.shtml

Obviously the "g" is supposed to be newer and "better" than the "b"
card and router.

Try this and tell us how good it was :

http://www.cantenna.com/

Way cheaper than other powerful antennas. I was looking for a dinky
little addon for my "b" card and they wanted outrageous prices like
$30-60 for the little dinky thing. Lucikly they had a rebate sale on
the whole card with antenna for $10 at compusa. But that dinky antenna
, puny stub is useless for your uses of course.

At 2 km its kind of at the limit though but for $20 ???? And the cost
of a mount and pigtail? Might be worth a try.

These cantennas - theyve been hyped for a while and have writes ups at
a lot of places.

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/columns/article.php/2221601

The diameter and length of the tube and the placement of the probe are
critical factors in antenna design. That is why the Cantenna is so
much better than a home-made Pringles cantenna, Brook explains.

"A Pringles can is really not the best for 2.4 GHz. The diameter is
too small to capture the complete spectrum. It's only about 2-1/4 or
2-1/2 inches wide." A Pringles can as a result has less range and will
only deliver some of the channels available in the spectrum, he says.

Brook and his team optimized every aspect of the Super Cantenna design
for Wi-Fi, making the can wider and longer (12 inches) than a Pringles
can and carefully engineering the placement of the probe.

The result is a directional antenna that delivers 12 dBi of gain,
compared to ratings of as little as 2 dBi for the antennas built into
Wi-Fi access points. That translates into greater range. Brook hedges
a little on just how much greater, and how much greater compared to a
Pringles can.

"It varies," he says, "based on the power of the radio, atmospheric
and other propagation conditions -- trees, hills -- the length of
cable. We hear of [the range on Wi-Fi access points] going from 500 ft
up to several miles with the Super Cantenna."

A mile would be a better estimate of the typical range extension, he
says. The Super Cantenna is not omni-directional, however. It has a
beam only about 30 degrees wide.

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index...inglesCantenna

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448
Old July 14th 04, 12:04 AM
DaveW

Current equipment on the market will NOT permit you do transmit more than
about 100 feet maximum.

--
DaveW

Old July 14th 04, 04:17 AM
kony

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:04:16 GMT, "DaveW" wrote:

Current equipment on the market will NOT permit you do transmit more than
about 100 feet maximum.

Not true for outside use even if only the original antennas were
used. For 2km it seems pretty likely that at a minimum it would
require quite expensive professional grade directional antennas,
line-of-sight between them, or a booster too depending on the
area. Booster probably isn't legal without a license.

Easiest way to do this is over the internet... comm between two
systems at a great distance is exactly what it's there for.
Old July 15th 04, 05:15 PM
ChrisM

I don't think that is true. When I left my last company, they were on the
verge of buying some directional antenna to run over a range of a mile or
so. It was 802.11 or whatever, not WiFi, but I guess the same type of
equipment would be available...?

ChrisM

Old July 15th 04, 06:50 PM
kony

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:15:38 +0100, "ChrisM"
wrote:

I don't think that is true. When I left my last company, they were on the
verge of buying some directional antenna to run over a range of a mile or
so. It was 802.11 or whatever, not WiFi, but I guess the same type of
equipment would be available...?

You can get directional antennas for almost anything, that are
tuned (designed) for specific frequencies, though this is an
expensive proposition... few hundred $ a piece.
Old July 28th 04, 03:36 PM
ChrisM

wrote:

I don't think that is true. When I left my last company, they were on the
verge of buying some directional antenna to run over a range of a mile or
so. It was 802.11 or whatever, not WiFi, but I guess the same type of
equipment would be available...?

You can get directional antennas for almost anything, that are
tuned (designed) for specific frequencies, though this is an
expensive proposition... few hundred $ a piece.

True, I think it was going to be quite expensive. P'raps not suitable for
home users.
.... unless they're loaded! ;-)

ChrisM

--
Please remove shoes to reply

But what ... is it good for?
- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,
commenting on the microchip.