Windows Update "New Driver" install fails

Old August 17th 04, 04:22 PM
John Blaustein

Default Windows Update "New Driver" install fails

I have a P4P800-E Deluxe board, running Windows XP Home. When running
Windows Update, it tells me to update my network driver. When I run the
update, it fails.

The update is for: "Marvell Semiconductor - Networking - Marvell Yukon
88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller"

Looking at Device Mgr, it says I have a Marvell driver 6.36.0.0, 10/2/03.

Why is Windows Update failing?

Thanks for any information.

John

Old August 17th 04, 04:45 PM
Hawkeye

Using windows update for your driver updates is a bad idea.

Go to manufacturer of your hardwares home page and get driver updates
there.
Old August 17th 04, 07:02 PM
John Blaustein

Hawkeye and Ed,

Thank you.

Looking at the ASUS Web site, it look like I have the latest driver already,
so I will leave things as they are. In fact, the driver I have is a later
version than the one ASUS lists as the latest. ASUS lists 6.28 as the
latest driver, and I have 6.36.

I wonder why Windows Update all of a sudden thinks I need a new driver?

John

Old August 17th 04, 10:03 PM
Minh Tran-Le

John Blaustein wrote:
I have a P4P800-E Deluxe board, running Windows XP Home. When running
Windows Update, it tells me to update my network driver. When I run the
update, it fails.

The update is for: "Marvell Semiconductor - Networking - Marvell Yukon
88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller"

Looking at Device Mgr, it says I have a Marvell driver 6.36.0.0, 10/2/03.

Why is Windows Update failing?

Thanks for any information.

John

You can find the latest Intel PRO2KXP.exe (version 9.0 7/27/2004) on the
Intel website. Just go to http://www.intel.com and search for "pro2kxp
driver".
Old August 17th 04, 10:25 PM
John Blaustein

Minh,

My mobo is ASUS and the onboard network controller is Marvell Yukon, so I'm
not sure why you are suggesting an Intel driver.

In any case, it's working fine, so I see no need to update. I was just
curious why Windows Update was suggesting a new driver and why the install
failed when ran the update. I think Ed answered my questions.

John

Old August 17th 04, 10:29 PM
Dick

The same thing happened to me on my P4P800se when I ran the Windows
Update. After installing SP2 Windows Update no longer suggests I update
my LAN drivers.

Dick

Old August 18th 04, 01:08 AM
Alex

I once broke a computer's sound by downloading the "latest driver" from
Windows update.
Windows update for system patches... Yes, but No for driver updates.

Alex.

Old August 18th 04, 04:31 PM
Minh Tran-Le

Sorry I had it confused with the 1GB Ethernet from the P4C800-E which
was made by Intel. The P4P800-E is made by 3COM.

But if your network connection is working fine, I would suggest just to
ignore and hide the device driver update that shows up on WindowsUpdate.
The update that show up there is usually because the manufacturer has
submitted them for Window certification and they are usually older than
what you got from the website or even the cd version.

Old August 18th 04, 04:48 PM
John Blaustein

Yes, the network connection is working fine.

From now on, I will ignore Windows Update driver prompts and check the
vendor Web site instead.

Thanks to everyone for the information and advice.

Old August 18th 04, 05:50 PM
notritenoteri

YOU can stop the auto-update with a setting in the explorer setup. SOmetimes
driver updates fail if you do not delete the device first and then let XP
find it as new hardware. SOmetimes if its an add-on board to clear up
errors you have have to remove it, reboot, shutdown then reinstall it.
DOn't ask me why cause I don't know. All I know is that sometimes its
necessary to clean up everything you can think of and start from as clean a
system as you can get. I just had a sound card that required all that to get
it going properly.