P4C800 Deluxe SATA settings

Old February 24th 04, 01:42 AM

Default P4C800 Deluxe SATA settings

I have one drive, a Western Digital 120Gb SATA drive. I have it hooked
to the SATA1 plug on the motherboard. I have nothing plugged into the
SATA2 or the SATA_RAID_1 or SATA_RAID_2 plugs. Should I have the
Promise controller in the BIOS enabled or disabled for this hookup.
And in fact, is this the correct way to hook u[ the lone drive? Am I
degrading the performance of my drive? Right now I have the Promise
controller enabled. Thanks.

Old February 24th 04, 02:43 AM
Ivan Vestergaard

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:50:11 GMT, "DaveW" wrote:

Promise controller should be enabled.

Why? It's not being used..

On the other hand, turning it on does no harm

Old February 24th 04, 07:05 PM
FairMan

See this answer to another in the group:

There are two ways.

If you connect S-Ata to S-Ata connector then you can disable Promise in
Bios because S-Ata connecter doesn't work with Promise controller. Your read
burst speed will only bee about 87 Mb\s with this connection.

If you connect too Raid connecter and set Bios to Promise enabled and IDE
mode. Then you use Promise controller and the message "drive not found",
"bios is not installed" dissaperes. You will get a Read Burst speed that is
much higher with this connection.
HD-Tach shows 87Mb/s for the first connection and over 200Mb/s for the
second one. Over 200 must be too high to be true but its faster.

Hope it helps

FairMan

Old February 24th 04, 07:53 PM

Thanks. My understanding of RAID is that it uses two drives in concert
with each other. But I can still plug one drive into the RAID plug,
enable Promis and I'll get better speeds?
See this answer to another in the group:

There are two ways.

If you connect S-Ata to S-Ata connector then you can disable Promise in
Bios because S-Ata connecter doesn't work with Promise controller. Your read
burst speed will only bee about 87 Mb\s with this connection.

If you connect too Raid connecter and set Bios to Promise enabled and IDE
mode. Then you use Promise controller and the message "drive not found",
"bios is not installed" dissaperes. You will get a Read Burst speed that is
much higher with this connection.
HD-Tach shows 87Mb/s for the first connection and over 200Mb/s for the
second one. Over 200 must be too high to be true but its faster.

Hope it helps

FairMan

.. .

Old February 25th 04, 06:34 PM
FairMan

Yes you can on this MB.
Of course you don't get a raid out of one HDD but you can connect it not as
raid but ide. You can use up to four devices as ide with promise. 2 S-Ata
and 2 P-Ata. Your P-Ata are supported as UATA 133. You can use any
combination 1 to 4 HDD:s. Just enable Promise controller in Bios and set it
to IDE NOT Raid. For the moment I use 4 HDD:s as ide on Promise controller.
Disk C, D, E, and F and two HDD:s on intels ATA 100 connecter plus one CD
burner and one DVD player .

So you can use one HDD on your Promise controller and run it as IDE.

Fairman.

"Pivert" vermeulenpREMOVE ALL skrev i meddelandet
No.
RAID has to use several drives either to enhance speed ( RAID 0) or to
enhance security by duplicating ( mirroring RAID 1)
One drive in RAID is not faster than one non-RAID.

a écrit dans le message de
news
[...]

.. .

Old February 25th 04, 10:41 PM
FairMan

Or opposit !

FairMan

"Pivert" vermeulenpREMOVE ALL skrev i meddelandet
Sure you can. But it wouldn't be usefull to connect it to RAID controller
instead of IDE/SATA-non RAID connectors.

"FairMan" a écrit dans le message de
[...]

a écrit dans le message de
news Thanks. My understanding of RAID is that it uses two drives in

[...]

.. .