power supply on USB connector after the computer shutdown

Old October 17th 03, 09:18 PM
Brysiu

Default power supply on USB connector after the computer shutdown

Hi.
I've got computer with Abit BH6 ATX motherboard. It has got two USB
connectors. Unfortunately after shutdown of computer the power supply on USB
connectors is also turned off.
In newer computers even after computer shutdown I can plug in my USB device
(Ethernet HUB) and it still works (it means that there still is voltage on
this USB connector).
Is there any method to do the same on my computer with Abit BH6 motherboard?

Chris.

Old October 17th 03, 10:55 PM
kony

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:18:35 +0200, "Brysiu" wrote:

Hi.
I've got computer with Abit BH6 ATX motherboard. It has got two USB
connectors. Unfortunately after shutdown of computer the power supply on USB
connectors is also turned off.
In newer computers even after computer shutdown I can plug in my USB device
(Ethernet HUB) and it still works (it means that there still is voltage on
this USB connector).
Is there any method to do the same on my computer with Abit BH6 motherboard?

Chris.

Yes, there's a way, but you probably won't like it.

You would need to remove the motheboard from case, take a knife and
cut the 5V power supply trace on the back of your motherboard, right
before where it connects to the USB port, then solder on a jumper wire
from the back-side of the board, between the ATX connector-pin for
5VSB to the USB port pin that cut-trace went to. This will result in
an unfused supply though, which usually isn't a problem but if you
wanted a fuse you could of course put one on in series with the jumper
wire.

Of course you'd want to check the circuit, be sure that cut 5V trace
and added 5VSB wire is connected correctly, not shorting on anything.

IMHO, you'd be better off to just buy a POWERED USB hub, one that
still supplies power when the system is off.

Dave
Old October 18th 03, 01:00 AM
Elouan Le Bretton

I'm not sure with your motherboard, but on mine, I have to set some options
in the Bios(in the power supply menu)
Mqybe you should check that

Old October 18th 03, 01:32 AM
kony

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:55:13 GMT, kony wrote:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:18:35 +0200, "Brysiu" wrote:

Hi.
I've got computer with Abit BH6 ATX motherboard. It has got two USB
connectors. Unfortunately after shutdown of computer the power supply on USB
connectors is also turned off.
In newer computers even after computer shutdown I can plug in my USB device
(Ethernet HUB) and it still works (it means that there still is voltage on
this USB connector).
Is there any method to do the same on my computer with Abit BH6 motherboard?

Chris.

Perhaps I was making assumptions in my prior post... check the manual,
and the board itself, for a jumper to change the USB power function
from 5V to 5VSB or 5VFP. IF the jumper exists, it's usually fairly
near the port or it's pin-header.

Dave
Old October 18th 03, 01:29 PM
brysiu

Yes, there's a way, but you probably won't like it.

You would need to remove the motheboard from case, take a knife and
cut the 5V power supply trace on the back of your motherboard, right
before where it connects to the USB port, then solder on a jumper wire
from the back-side of the board, between the ATX connector-pin for
5VSB to the USB port pin that cut-trace went to. This will result in
an unfused supply though, which usually isn't a problem but if you
wanted a fuse you could of course put one on in series with the jumper
wire.

Of course you'd want to check the circuit, be sure that cut 5V trace
and added 5VSB wire is connected correctly, not shorting on anything.

Since there isn't any proper jumper on my motherboard I won't try this way.
Cutting any traces on this motheborad It's too risky. I dont' want to buy
new motherboard after eventual failure.

IMHO, you'd be better off to just buy a POWERED USB hub, one that
still supplies power when the system is off.

Dave

I think this is much better and safe method. That's way I'm going to do.

thanks, Chris

Grinding Power Supply? PawsForThought General 37 October 9th 03 04:33 PM
How can I make motherboard to restart after power loss automatically? Amiran General 1 September 24th 03 11:35 PM
Sufficient PSU? Robert Bindler General 3 August 14th 03 09:09 PM
Power Supply on its way out? w_tom General 5 July 31st 03 03:43 PM