Vista 64 and 4 GB of RAM on TL-60

Old August 2nd 08, 04:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
rickman

Default Vista 64 and 4 GB of RAM on TL-60

I am looking at a new laptop and Frys is offering one with a TL-60
processor, 4 GB of ram running Vista 64 bit. I have read that PCs
can't really use more than a little over 3 GB. But I wonder if this
is a limit of the OS or the CPU? Does Vista 64 have this same
limitation?

Rick
Old August 2nd 08, 05:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

rickman wrote:
I am looking at a new laptop and Frys is offering one with a TL-60
processor, 4 GB of ram running Vista 64 bit. I have read that PCs
can't really use more than a little over 3 GB. But I wonder if this
is a limit of the OS or the CPU? Does Vista 64 have this same
limitation?

Rick

Why would anyone own a 64 bit OS, if all they could ever use was
3GB of RAM ? That would be a pretty significant dis-incentive to
purchasing a 64 bit OS.

With the right combination of 64 bit OS, and 64 bit program,
you can have a process that has access to a lot of RAM. Otherwise,
if you're reusing mostly old programs, and just seek to bump
up the physical RAM present, and switch to a 64 bit OS, about
all you're getting, is the ability to run a lot more processes.
The programs should be compiled "large address aware", if you
want to extend their reach.

"Memory Limits for Windows Releases"

Like so many performance issues, you can never get the info
you need, from the companies that write the programs. "Pushing
the envelope", will not be easy.

Paul