Commodore 64 to Turion 64

Old December 21st 08, 09:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Serhan Ogan

Default Commodore 64 to Turion 64

I am a PC user since commodore 64 and recently purchased a Laptop with
AMD Turion 64 x2 2.0.

It was interesting to see how much they evolved since then. From a
machine that you can play games to a portable and a very expensive lap
heather.

It is a Toshiba Satellite A210 running Vista 32 with
Ati Radeon 2600 256Mb and 4Gb DDR2 RAM.

I ran some system self checks and diagnostics after encountering
multiple crashes. Nothing Even a system restore did no good.

And I tested the core temperature of the processors with some
shareware software and here is what I have got:

Under Power Saver mode : 52 to 53 Celcius
Under Balanced mode : 80 to 95 Celcius
Under Maximum Performance: 95 to 110 Celcius
(Celcius Not Fahrenheit!)
And then BUM! dead freeze.(Processor HALT I guess)

Well the fan goes crazy trying to pass out the enormous heat as the
core temp rises as soon as I run applications in High Performance
mode. If I pause the game the fan catches up with the heat.

Is this some kind of a cooking device?
Old December 22nd 08, 12:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

Serhan Ogan wrote:
[...]

In terms of the technical issues -

(Picture of A210/A215 interior)
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...te-a215-12.jpg

the cooling assembly is in the upper left. The same cooler
may be used to cool the Turion processor and the Radeon 2600.
The fins on the heatsink are short and don't have a lot of
surface area. Heat is moved from the hot components, with
heat pipe (vapor phase cooling). The fan has a relatively
short air path, and the fins are next to the exhaust
port.

It is up to the manufacturer to provide a cooling
solution that works when both the CPU and the GPU (video)
are emitting heat. Either the exhaust port is blocked, the
intake is blocked, or perhaps a heat pipe is not working
properly. If the warranty is valid, perhaps you can
follow up with Toshiba.

Once the temperature exceeds a certain value, the processor
is designed to turn off the computer. So the processor
has a thermal protection. The protection is called THERMTRIP.

Paul
Old December 22nd 08, 03:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
amabo karab

Serhan Ogan wrote:
[...]

Try removing it from your lap?
Old January 25th 09, 10:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
phaedrus06[_4_]

If the other members suggestions (which are accurate) did not work then
try these suggestions:

1- Purchase a laptop cooler (various models available on newegg.com)
2- Check the fans and heat sinks for clogs or disconnects
3- Perhaps add some thermal paste to the CPU.

Most CPUs are meant to run an average of 45 degrees Celsius at most
although they can be usually safely (but highly not recommended) to 65
or 70 degrees. Also perhaps some system bench marking software like
Sandra could give you some precise diagnostics on your PC.

Oh, and removing any obstructions and using it on a hard flat surface
is always recommended.