memory for noob

Old April 2nd 07, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
nntp.nildram.co.uk

Default memory for noob

i can do a little o/c'ing but getting the most out of the memory timings is
a mystery to me. ppl talk about CAS 3 and CAS2.5 but I dont understand
which is better, the lower no. or the higher one. What about latency? Any
good recommendations for explaining this all out via webpages or books etc..
They must be available in the UK.

Robin

Opteron144 (2.6 Ghz) FSB 290, HTT 1x, Ram 2 : 1.3
Gigabyte K8n Sli F2 Mobo
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro.
1 Gig Kingston DDR 400 Ram ( shortly to be 2 Gig)
ATI x850 XT PE
Hitachi K250 7200rpm IDE HDD & Maxtor 9 160GB HDD (5400rpm)
Windows Vista Ultimate

Old April 2nd 07, 06:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 16:39:58 +0100, nntp.nildram.co.uk wrote:

i can do a little o/c'ing but getting the most out of the memory timings is
a mystery to me. ppl talk about CAS 3 and CAS2.5 but I dont understand
which is better, the lower no. or the higher one. What about latency? Any
good recommendations for explaining this all out via webpages or books etc..
They must be available in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cas_latency

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/caslatwhatis1.html

on yahoo search, 1 - 10 of about 892,000 for cas latency - 0.22 sec.

Old April 3rd 07, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
VanShania

The lower the cas latency the faster the data travels. If it is set to low,
errors start to occur. You should be able to go to Kingstons website and
find the proper timings. Going from 3 to 2.5 should cause any problems
though. I'm surprised that that ram has such a high latency.

noob SLI question Dave and Kim Nvidia Videocards 1 April 17th 06 02:42 AM
Help me I'm a Noob LtTalos General 5 September 13th 05 02:38 AM
Help SCSI Noob Stuart Carrison Compaq Servers 1 October 18th 04 02:30 PM
Overclocking Noob The Berzerker Ati Videocards 4 October 3rd 04 01:24 PM
Another noob oc help request. Chris Martin Overclocking AMD Processors 0 August 29th 04 07:07 PM