Dual core Opteron vs dual core Athlon

Old March 10th 07, 03:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Old Guy

Default Dual core Opteron vs dual core Athlon

Greetings,

I'm currently running an Athlon 4200 X2 o/c'ed to 2.6ghz. No voltage
change from stock.

I would like to get as much out of the system to extend its life as much
as possible. I just upgraded my wife's computer with an Opteron 170
2.0ghz processor from a 3700 San Diego. Big difference and it seems
faster than my system without being overclocked. Except for the hard
drive(s), our systems are quite similar.

Hard drive is already there (Raptor 150). 2gig CAS2 memory. 7600GT
video board.

I like a very responsive system, but I'm not a gamer. I've been thinking
of upgrading to a more robust / faster processor. An Opty 175 is a
possibility.

Would there be a difference in performance between the 4200 X2 and an
Opteron 175?

TIA
Old March 14th 07, 09:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Lenny_Nero

Old Guy said

[...]

Depends if you want to spend the money for a few %, the Optys do have a
bigger L2, unless you are running a Toledo. Your x2 looks to be the same
as mine (I bet its an LDBFE) as I can get to 2.6 on stock volts I have
just bumped it up to get from 2.7 to 2.8.

I have Opteron's, but I am working with this (4200x2) right now as my best
opty is in my DFI nF4 SLI D, which I have not got a good PSU for ATM, I
have been looking for a 175/185 but its got to be a very good price for me
to be bothered with the change. I am also not a game player but do a lot
of work with video.

L.

--
Want to help to keep the best free usenet servers running ?
http://www.readfreenews.com