XP2600 + A7N8X + Impact of memory question

Old June 22nd 03, 08:31 PM
Steve Franklin

Default XP2600 + A7N8X + Impact of memory question

Hi there...

I'm relatively new to overclocking and have a couple of quick questions.

1. I will only ever use this PC for video editing - never ever gaming. I was
going to purchase some corsair ram 3200 twin x (2x256) but before i did I
wondered was it worth it? Are gamers only likely to see the performance
gains?

What computer functions require superfast memory to improve the performance?
The performance gains I am looking for will be in rendering video. And I
believe that's pretty much all processor. If I'm not gaming would this
expensive memory be worthwhile.

2. The FSB on the CPU is 333mhz. The A78nx can take go up to 400mhz and so
can the corsair memory. Does the mboard & memory ability to go to 400mhz
make the overclocking more likely to be stable?

Any help very much appreciated.

Old June 22nd 03, 09:07 PM

"Steve Franklin" wrote:
Hi there...

I'm relatively new to overclocking and have a couple of quick questions.

1. I will only ever use this PC for video editing - never ever gaming. I
was going to purchase some corsair ram 3200 twin x (2x256) but before i
did I wondered was it worth it? Are gamers only likely to see the
performance gains?

What computer functions require superfast memory to improve the
performance? The performance gains I am looking for will be in rendering
video. And I believe that's pretty much all processor. If I'm not gaming
would this expensive memory be worthwhile.

2. The FSB on the CPU is 333mhz. The A78nx can take go up to 400mhz and
so can the corsair memory. Does the mboard & memory ability to go to
400mhz make the overclocking more likely to be stable?

Any help very much appreciated.

I purchased Corsair TwinX PC 3200 DDR and found that the memory will only
allow overclocking to about 406 fsb. I now have Corsair XMS PC 3500 which
will allow overclocking to 434 fsb. I am using an XP 3200+ 400 fsb cpu. If
you buy the 3200 you may wish you had bought the PC 3500 as I did. My
machine runs perfect with the PC 3500.

--
..