Upgrading BIOS on FX530?

Old January 29th 09, 05:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ikaros[_2_]

Default Upgrading BIOS on FX530?

If you have an FX530 with a RAID hard drive configuration, what
happens if you update the BIOS? I've had my FX530 for around 18 months
and afraid upgrading to the newest BIOS might mess up my RAID setup
with my two SATA 250mb hard drives (using RAID-0) since the controller/
ports for them is on my Intel 975X system board. Has anyone with a
FX530 using a RAID drive array done this yet?
Old January 29th 09, 11:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

"Ikaros" wrote in message
If you have an FX530 with a RAID hard drive configuration, what
happens if you update the BIOS? I've had my FX530 for around 18 months
and afraid upgrading to the newest BIOS might mess up my RAID setup
with my two SATA 250mb hard drives (using RAID-0) since the controller/
ports for them is on my Intel 975X system board. Has anyone with a
FX530 using a RAID drive array done this yet?

Unless you are having a specific problem addressed by this revision, why
flash the BIOS?
I've never done your particular model (FX530 what?), but I've done a few
others with RAID configurations with no problem at all. Mostly what needs to
be done is after the flash is done and you reboot, go into BIOS and restore
BIOS defaults. Save that and exit, then when it reboots, go back in and set
it up the way you have it right now. Not saying that nothing can go wrong,
but I've never had a problem.

SC Tom

Old January 30th 09, 01:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ikaros[_2_]

On Jan 29, 6:21*pm, "SC Tom" wrote:
Unless you are having a specific problem addressed by this revision, why
flash the BIOS?
I've never done your particular model (FX530 what?), but I've done a few
others with RAID configurations with no problem at all. Mostly what needs to
be done is after the flash is done and you reboot, go into BIOS and restore
BIOS defaults. Save that and exit, then when it reboots, go back in and set
it up the way you have it right now. Not saying that nothing can go wrong,
but I've never had a problem.

I was wondering what changes are in the newer BIOS. I'm experimenting
with setting memory timings for some Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2
667mhz PC2-5300 memory that I installed 1gb of in each of the four
memory slots. The existing BIOS auto detect is not using the
manufacturer values of 4-4-4-12 and wants to use 5-5-5-12 instead. The
first number, or CL, is the latency value so lower the better. If I
force it to 4-4-4-12 then I get instability and lockups. Patriot
suggests I try 4-4-4-15 because a higher last number can improve
stability. I will try that next. I'm just looking to improve
performance and maybe overclock the memory to work the best with my
Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad CPU. But like you said if there is no change
as relates to the memory performance settings, I don't really need to
update the BIOS and risk my RAID-0 setup being undefined afterwards. I
know there is a separate utility accessed during bootup not part of
BIOS to setup RAID. But there is a RAID mode setting in the BIOS under
Advanced for drive configuration that says Configure SATA as RAID.
Maybe it's a just simple matter of making sure that still says the
same after a BIOS update but checking to make sure ahead of time if I
can.

Old January 30th 09, 12:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

"Ikaros" wrote in message
On Jan 29, 6:21 pm, "SC Tom" wrote:
[...]

=============

Since the MB already supports RAID, a newer revision isn't going to take
away that support, so you shouldn't have any problems there.
If you check the history on the latest revision, it should list anything
that it addresses. Check all the revisions between what you have now and
what the latest is. If any of them address memory issues, then by all means,
flash it. But my guess is, even if a benchmark program says you're faster
with 4-4-4-12 than 5-5-5-12, you won't notice the difference in programs or
gaming or whatever your primary usage is.

SC Tom

Old January 30th 09, 04:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ikaros[_2_]

On Jan 30, 7:12*am, "SC Tom" wrote:

Since the MB already supports RAID, a newer revision isn't going to take
away that support, so you shouldn't have any problems there.
If you check the history on the latest revision, it should list anything
that it addresses. Check all the revisions between what you have now and
what the latest is. If any of them address memory issues, then by all means,
flash it. But my guess is, even if a benchmark program says you're faster
with 4-4-4-12 than 5-5-5-12, you won't notice the difference in programs or
gaming or whatever your primary usage is.

SC Tom

Well, I got this reply (if you can call it that) from Gateway. It is
pretty much a non-answer IMHO yet they are "happy to assist" LOL:

"Thank you for contacting Gateway. I’ll be happy to assist you. To
ensure customer satisfaction, we do not support BIOS updates Windows
Updates, Driver updates, or Service Packs installation. This is to
ensure the update is compatible and will not cause any instabilities
with the computer. We do not support updates unless posted to our web
site to prevent incompatibilities and system failure. We do not
support changing the original settings of the computer unless you will
be doing this at your own risk. Note: Damage due to flashing the BIOS
will void any and all warranties."

--------

This got me kind of mad that he didn't even attempt to answer my
request for information about their own provided BIOS! Anyway, I wrote
the following back to them maybe to vent a bit and see if they will
answer my questions. I'm not keeping hope up for much help from
Gateway:

--------

"Thank you for your reply. No support disclaimer is actually needed.
I'm not asking Gateway to support anything not already on your website
for download. I am expecting you to support purely informational
questions about the BIOS updates you do provide to your customers. I
do not want to flash my BIOS unless absolutely necessary to address a
severe problem or issue, which there is none right now since
everything is working fine. Maybe you misunderstood my request because
I explain things too much sometimes instead of getting to the point.

What I want to know about is the newest Gateway FX530 BIOS updates
that are in your website for customers to install on your non-retail
OEM branded Intel motherboards because there is no BIOS documentation.
The download page only explains how to install a BIOS update but
doesn't say what specific issues the update addresses. All I want is
if you can provide information on what changes or fixes are contained
within the FX530 BIOS updates that are on the Gateway site, and also
if there are any precautions that customers should be aware of before
any attempt at flashing BIOS (if I even decide to do so) especially
regards to my system being configured by Gateway with RAID-0 across
two SATA 250GB hard drives. If there are no critical fixes or changes
in these newer BIOS versions on your website, then I will not flash my
BIOS since everything is working fine. My new memory is working fine.

To summarize, I just wanted to know (1.) what the BIOS memory
performance settings mean, and (2.) if flashing BIOS would undo my
existing RAID configuration, and (3.) what is the change list for the
other BIOS versions available for download from Gateway.

I have been a Computer Technician with PC's since 1985 so I pretty
much know all this hardware and software stuff, except for any
undocumented features/fixes/changes included in your own provided BIOS
updates for download on the Gateway support site or anything else
Gateway specific that I wouldn't know about without asking first.

This next section of my reply has nothing to do with my support
request for information, but allow me to make a suggestion to Gateway
and to express my general opinion as a Gateway customer. I do
understand most computer companies don't support other products
Gateway didn't sell and software issues, like Microsoft security
updates, Nvidia drivers, etc. That is fine because they support that
better anyway and are always up-to-date. But the "overall concept" in
the Gateway blanket disclaimer you repeated on their behalf the way it
reads in my opinion is very short sighted, when looking at the big
picture of security threats, driver issues, operating system updates,
and other harmful things that an unprotected and unpatched computer
can be subject to.

You don't have to support software (non-Gateway provided) but I think
computer companies like Gateway and others should always promote
keeping one's computer up-to-date and secure for a good customer
experience that earns you getting loyal returning customers instead of
ones that move on to other brands, while still being responsible for
under-warranty hardware issues and informational questions about what
they purchased, all while recognizing that other companies support
software updates separately, which is for the greater good."

Steve
Old January 30th 09, 06:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

"Ikaros" wrote in message
On Jan 30, 7:12 am, "SC Tom" wrote:

[...]

============
Don't get me started on Gateway support- I'm still waiting (after 5 weeks!)
for a warranty replacement HDD for my 6 month old notebook. But that's a
whole other dissertation. . .

Flashing the BIOS probably won't change your current settings, but most BIOS
flashes say to restore the BIOS defaults after flashing, then make any
changes you want. Write down the settings you currently have, then after
flashing you'll have a record of them. Also, most flash programs allow you
make a backup of your current BIOS, so if things don't work out, you can
always re-flash to the old BIOS.

I looked out on their site, too, to see if there is any documentation on
what there revisions cover, and I couldn't find anything either. Huh, go
figure! At least on the Asus and Gigabyte sites, the revision info is listed
with the BIOS download. Other than the HDD crapping out so early, I really
like my notebook (M6850FX with dedicated graphics). It's fast running
anything I want, but since Gateway and MPC seem to be in chapter 11, I don't
think I'll get another one. Besides, when I'm ready for a new one, they may
not be around anyhow.

SC Tom

Old January 30th 09, 06:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ikaros[_2_]

On Jan 30, 1:19*pm, "SC Tom" wrote:
[...]

Yeah well I got this unbelievable goofy reply. They can't even track
down info on their own BIOS for me! I guess my 3 year warranty and
support is only good for swapping parts when they break! I wonder if I
should write to Intel even though it is an OEM version of their
motherboard and BIOS software.

"Thank you for contacting Gateway. I apologize to say that we are
not able to
locate the information regarding the BIOS downloads on our support
site. For
more information regarding the BIOS update available, you contact our
Call and Service Support at
1-800-846-2301. They are available from 7AM to 7PM Mountain Time,
Monday
through Friday."

Old January 30th 09, 09:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom[_2_]

"Ikaros" wrote in message
On Jan 30, 1:19 pm, "SC Tom" wrote:
[...]

Call 1-800-URSCREWED. Yep, that's the number they gave me, too. Good luck
getting through. I gave up after being on hold for 30-45 minutes twice.
You could search here http://www.bios-drivers.com/ for your current
revision, then see if there's anything newer. Do you have a floppy drive and
a WinME boot disk? That way you don't need to do any of it from your hard
drive, and if you can't access them afterwards, you'll have the backup BIOS
to restore to. (Sounds scarier all the time, doesn't it?)

SC Tom