T2865 EMAchine Starts by itself

Old July 17th 06, 09:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Default T2865 EMAchine Starts by itself

This is normal beahvior only if the computer gets very quiet again. Then,
pushing the power button should start up the computer.

If the computer seems to stay on when the power cord is plugged in, yet nothing
appears on screen, soemthing is definitely wrong with the computer... Ben Myers

On 16 Jul 2006 01:36:56 -0700, wrote:

Larrybelk wrote:
I have a T2865 Emachine that I moved from one location to another.
When I plug in the power cord it starts without me pushing the start
button. And nothing comes up on the screen? The graphics card is
good, HD is good. Anybody got any idea why this happens and what to
check?

This is known as AC power recovery. It's a relitiavely normal thing.
Don't worry about it.

Old July 17th 06, 11:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
[email protected]

Larrybelk wrote:
I have a T2865 Emachine that I moved from one location to another.
When I plug in the power cord it starts without me pushing the start
button. And nothing comes up on the screen? The graphics card is
good, HD is good. Anybody got any idea why this happens and what to
check?

Thanks
Larry

Emacines have this thing where any 2 of the following three things go
simultaneously: Motherborad, Powersupply, Processor.

Old July 22nd 06, 12:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Postman delivers

submitted this idea :
Larrybelk wrote:
I have a T2865 Emachine that I moved from one location to another.
When I plug in the power cord it starts without me pushing the start
button. And nothing comes up on the screen? The graphics card is
good, HD is good. Anybody got any idea why this happens and what to
check?

Thanks
Larry

Emacines have this thing where any 2 of the following three things go
simultaneously: Motherborad, Powersupply, Processor.

Paul, in my opinion all of the inexpensive computers made in the
same/similar oversea production plants have the same flaw… It is not
only gateway/emachine/dell/hp/compaq tis all cheap ones...

Motherboard traces are not adequately inspected or the parts have lower
quality standards and will fail a high quality test function. The
motherboard trace failures will short circuit tripping the power
supply, memory and processor or any combination...

But many of these basic computers survive, and have become good desktop
boxes for the undemanding consumers in the USA, where we now have the
adopted the toss the computer out every 18 months…

With notebooks selling below $400 that is a very similar consumer
computer market, buy today; put in the garage or toss in the trash if
it does not work…

JR the postman

Old July 22nd 06, 03:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
[email protected]

Postman delivers wrote:
submitted this idea :
Larrybelk wrote:
[...]

Since I work at a computer recycling facility, I have a fair idea what
machines die, and why. The blank and silver emachines, in particular
die when the power supply and motherboard go up in flames (ok, not
actual flames ). Right after the warrenty expires.

Compaq deskpro series is actually pretty rock solid. It's the Presario
series that earned compaq it's deserved nickname "comcrap".

Dells are also generally rock-solid.

Hp pavillions have a power supply that goes out at around 5 years, but
doesn't kill the machine. ECS and some other El Cheapo manufactores of
motherboards are vulnerable to capicitor failure. Few of the Name
Brands are vulnerable. Though, I've seen it happen.

Gateway, has had some really bad lines of computers (the micro-desktops
in particular), but also some that are rock-solid.

Old July 22nd 06, 06:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Also, MicroStar motherboards have been prone to capacitor failure. IBM used
MicroStar boards, and had a lot of Pentium 3 motherboard failures.

ECS is one of the many brand-names for PC Chips motherboards. There are also
Matsonic and a few other forgettable brand names which are really PC Chips,
which gained its initial fame back in 486 days by using fake cache chips. This
was back when Level 2 caches were made from SRAM chips separate from the
processor. PC Chips reputation has not improved since then, but like a lot of
other junk, the motherboards manage to run for a while. But I have replaced a
large number of failed PC Chips boards.

If and when you get a new motherboard (or ANY add-in device) with a user's
guide, the real tipoff to lack of product quality is when the manufacturer's
name does not even appear in print and there is no place to contact for tech
support.

I generally concur with your assessment of computer quality, based on my
experience... Ben Myers

On 21 Jul 2006 19:00:07 -0700, wrote:

Postman delivers wrote:
submitted this idea :

Old July 23rd 06, 03:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
[email protected]

Ben Myers wrote:
Also, MicroStar motherboards have been prone to capacitor failure. IBM used
MicroStar boards, and had a lot of Pentium 3 motherboard failures.

ECS is one of the many brand-names for PC Chips motherboards. There are also
Matsonic and a few other forgettable brand names which are really PC Chips,
which gained its initial fame back in 486 days by using fake cache chips. This
was back when Level 2 caches were made from SRAM chips separate from the
processor. PC Chips reputation has not improved since then, but like a lot of
other junk, the motherboards manage to run for a while. But I have replaced a
large number of failed PC Chips boards.

I saw one, where one of the small shops must have realized that some of
their computers were coming back with Bad Caps. They apparenly decided
to make Lemonade out of the lemons. They put in low power VIA C3s into
a board that supported a Tualatin 1400, in hopes that the caps would
hold. They did, as long as no one decided to upgrade. Since the board
was working well, and i'd checked the caps out in advance. I went and
put in the Celeron 1400, three days later, the caps started bulging....

And Just today, I had to scrap 3 Soyo computers for the capaicitor
plague.

If and when you get a new motherboard (or ANY add-in device) with a user's
guide, the real tipoff to lack of product quality is when the manufacturer's
name does not even appear in print and there is no place to contact for tech
support.

Sigh, I never get the manuals.....

Old July 27th 06, 12:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Bob Johnson

Anyone know the beep codes on the eMachines T2865 ?
Could not find them anywhere on eMachines site.
Started my T2865 today, and it emits a single beep
every few seconds with nothing displayed on monitor.

Best Regards, Bob Johnson

Directories
GOLDSHEET Mining http://www.goldsheetlinks.com
COINSHEET Numismatic http://www.coinsheetlinks.com
OILSHEET Energy http://www.oilsheetlinks.com
Old July 27th 06, 04:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

If you are lucky enough to have an Intel-designed motherboard, you can get the
beep codes by downloading the spec for the motherboard from the Intel web site.
To my surprise, eMachines uses some Intel boards... Ben Myers