[UK] Evesham Technology slapped on wrist by ASA for spamming

Old January 27th 04, 10:55 PM
Bob Eager

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:13:40 UTC, Malev wrote:

Seems like we are back to asking people not to quote the following in case they
are harvested by spambots:

a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a href="mailto a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a "e-mail a spammer/a
a " e-mail a spammer/a

I wouldn't dream of it.

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...
Old January 27th 04, 11:01 PM
Sonia

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:31:17 +0000, Hammond Organ
wrote:

In article , Malev
writes
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:43:28 -0000, Anthony Edwards
wrote:
Indeed yes, I also today received three copies of the Unsolicited
Commercial Email in question, sent to email addresses two of which
were clearly harvested from Usenet (albeit it would seem, based on
the email addresses used, several years ago).

Got 2 myself this afternoon.
Harvested from an email adress I only used for a fortnight on Usenet in July
2000

Looks like the layoffs mentioned in

didn't work.

I've always wondered what possessed the former MD, Richard Austin, to
step aside and hand control of the company over to the utter halfwit
who runs it nowadays.

I'd give them until the end of this financial year.

Old January 27th 04, 11:35 PM
Craig Cockburn

In message , Anthony Edwards
writes

To be fair to the Advertising Standards Authority, their primary
remit is to deal with conventional media advertising rather than
email advertising, which probably makes up a very small percentage
of the complaints that they handle.

The correct place for UK residents to complain to in respect of
Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003
contraventions is the Information Commissioner's Office. However,
in that instance, there does not appear to be an electronic complaint
submission mechanism at all.

If there were such a form, it would allow people to complain about their
own site!

http://www.siliconglen.com/usability/commissioner.html
--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). SiliconGlen.com Ltd. http://SiliconGlen.com
Home to the first online guide to Scotland, founded 1994.
Old January 28th 04, 12:11 AM
Alan J. Wylie

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:43:28 -0000, Anthony Edwards said:

considered a complaint to the ASA also, however their online
complaint form will accept a complaint a maximum of 1500 characters
in length, whereas (saving my LART including a copy of one of the
Unsolicited Commercial Emails in text format):

anthony@catfish:~ wc -m evesham.txt 6338 evesham.txt

(i.e. the complaint saved as a text file is 6338 characters in
length, of which approximately two thirds of that is the Unsolicited
Commercial Email itself)

I considered sending a complaint to the ASA by fax, however that
constitutes too much hoop jumping to be a desirable option. If the
ASA wish to receive complaints concerning unsolicited email
advertising, a substantial increase in the number of characters
permitted when using the online complaint form would be worthwhile.

mailto:enquiriesatasa.org.uk

--
Alan J. Wylie http://www.wylie.me.uk/
"Perfection [in design] is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,
Old January 28th 04, 12:25 AM
Anthony Edwards

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:11:48 +0000, Alan J. Wylie wrote:
[...]

True, however it clearly states at the "Contact Us" page of the ASA
site that complaints must be made in one of two formats (by letter,
or using the online complaints form that one later discovers has a
1500 character maximum limit) and that their email facility is for
contact "for any other reason".

I therefore conclude that transmission of a 6338 character emailed
complaint would be itself abusive, and I am of the opinion that
fighting abuse with abuse, however tempting that might at times seem
(and I realise I am being to an extent pedantic here, but I believe
it to be an important principle) is simply wrong, and in addition
almost always counter-productive.

--
Anthony Edwards

Old January 28th 04, 12:28 AM
Graham Walter

Anthony Edwards wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:17:05 +0000, Andy wrote:
In message , Chris Owen
wrote

snip
And what do I find amongst today's bodily-extensions? promotions at
eveshamtechnology dot info seeking to extend my knowledge of the
Evolution Blue Beast.

Thanks for the heads up - I'd missed it amongst all the MyDoom
traffic.

ASA informed; watch this space.

and from me, including pointed remarks about Evesham being repeat
offenders..

Indeed yes, I also today received three copies of the Unsolicited
Commercial Email in question, sent to email addresses two of which
were clearly harvested from Usenet (albeit it would seem, based on
the email addresses used, several years ago).

LARTs sent to Energis UK (the UCE was apparently sent from an Energis
UK supplied routed subnet) and GX Networks UK Ltd (who provide

and to them as well

Internet connectivity to the "spamvertised" web site). I considered
a complaint to the ASA also, however their online complaint form will
accept a complaint a maximum of 1500 characters in length, whereas
(saving my LART including a copy of one of the Unsolicited Commercial
Emails in text format):

You can at least upload files with your complaint - no limit there
AFAIK (Yes, I know forwarding emails would be much more convenient,
but at least they're not as bad in this area as the IC's office).

Cheers
Graham
--
Isn't it wonderful to think that one day this tiny acorn will grow into a mighty ash.
Old January 28th 04, 12:48 AM
Alan

In message , Sonia
writes
Snip

I've always wondered what possessed the former MD, Richard Austin, to
step aside and hand control of the company over to the utter halfwit
who runs it nowadays.

I'd give them until the end of this financial year.

I'd say end of this FY, the way they are carrying on.

--
Alan
Old January 28th 04, 03:26 AM
Jim Crowther

In message , Andy
writes:

ASA informed; watch this space.

Thanks. I am developing a hatred for these folk...

--
Jim Crowther "It's MY computer" (tm SMG)
Avoid more swen by dumping your old Usenet addresses, and
Old January 28th 04, 10:10 AM
Barry Dorrans

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
A possibility would be to place a copy of UCE on a web page, and
include the URL in the ADA form. OTOH, that may also constitute
excessive hoop jumping, and also could be argued to breach the
spammer's copyright.

That's what I ended up doing the first time (although I printed the
spams to pdf and then pushed the pdf onto a web site)

Old January 28th 04, 10:39 AM
Barry Dorrans

As an aside I've pointed Mike Magee from theinquirer to this thread. As
he so kindly rediculed Evesham for their inital spam, pointed the finger
at gxn for list washing (remember people, cull your address from
complaints send to gxn) and laughed at the ASA wrist slapping lets hope
he can get his big journalist stick out again.

Hi Mike