Mysterious internet/ethernet issue (kinda need testing/connection/communicationservice to diagnose it ???)

Old October 13th 18, 02:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

Default Mysterious internet/ethernet issue (kinda need testing/connection/communication service to diagnose it ???)

On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 04:02:17 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 7:23:53 AM UTC+2, Char Jackson wrote:
On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 15:17:13 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 10:14:53 PM UTC+2, Char Jackson wrote:
On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 11:31:53 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Annoying perhaps, but critical to the success of any networking, whether
local on your LAN or extending to the Internet as a whole. Simply put,
the netmask tells you which part of an IP address refers to the network
and which part identifies the particular host.

I know this already, it's very vague, cause all kinds of network types possible.

Also how to calculate this netmask in the head ?

Just use an IP calculator. There are tons available on the web.

Very hard to do requires calculating some bitmask and then converting that to decimals... ok I can do that.

Why not enter all this stuff in bits in the first place, maybe be a bit easier and prevent this conversion calculation.

Then the thing that gets even worse is this /24 specifier...

The /24 is shorthand for 255.255.255.0. Both formats show that 24 bits
are being used to specify the network and the other 8 bits are being
used to identify the hosts on that network.

I think I get it now.

24 means the first 24 bits are masked ?

Yes, in a /24 network the first 24 bits (or first 3 octets) identify the
local subnet. The rest, the last 8 bits (since IPv4 is 32 bits long) are
used to identify the devices on that network. The first and last
addresses (0 and 255 if the network is /24) are reserved: 0 means 'this
network' and 255 is the broadcast IP, which leaves room for 254 actual
networking devices.

Or is this just a coincidence ?

What would net mask be for 255.255.254.0 ?

/23 ?

Correct, and a /23 subnet has address space for about 510 devices,
versus the 254 for a /24.

8 bits allow a range of 0 to 255. So minus the broadcast address it's 0 to 254.

Which is 255 devices.

9 bits doubles this to 510 devices. So you seem correct about that but wrong about the first ?

Where you off by one for /24 ? Or is there something special going on ?

For example address 0 can't be used ? Think it can though

Any given subnet mask will result in a starting and ending address for
the host portion and both of those addresses are always reserved. The
starting address always refers to the network itself, while the ending
address refers to the broadcast address for that subnet.

With a /24, (255.255.255.0), it's easy to visualize because you're just
playing with the 4th octet. Each octet is 8 bits, so it can have a value
of 0 to 255. Thus, 0 refers to the network and 255 is the broadcast
address. That leaves 1-254 for hosts.

In your case, with your /23, (255.255.254.0), your starting address is
84.25.112.0 and your broadcast address is 84.25.113.255, so the host
portion can refer to 84.25.112.1 to 84.25.113.254, which is 510 possible
hosts.

Then, for example, move the mask in the other direction to make the host
portion smaller, so let's say we make it /25 (255.255.255.128), the
network address would be 84.25.113.128, the broadcast address would be
84.25.113.255, and there'd be room for only 126 hosts (128-2), and their
available address range would be 84.25.113.129 to 84.25.113.254.

Regardless of the subnet mask, you always need to reserve the starting
and ending addresses, so in the case of a /23 or a /24, address 0 is
unavailable because it refers to the network.

IPv6 throws that '0' convention out the window. IPv6 still has a
broadcast address, but the concept of a network address is gone, so 0
can be assigned to an IPv6 host.

Old October 13th 18, 04:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 11:56:41 -0400, Paul wrote:

wrote:
Well, to get this lucrative project under way, I
need to know the *model number* of the modem. Just
in case it's a modem/router... Is it an Alcatel or
a Fritz, or something else ?

Cable modem: Ubee evm320b

I already tried searching the internet for a manual. I only found a manual for a slightly different version, one that also has a wireless chip inside of it if I recall.

This exact model's manual seems to be missing.

But it's basically a standard cable modem/docsis modem probably 2.0 or so.

I tried shields up, but had windows firewall running, and everything shows green.

Already tried this tool in the past, could close down the firewall... it's a nice tool.

I guess it's somewhat usefull at finding open ports when firewall is down... proving that that computer can reach my computer...

But since my computer contacted that website... it's pretty useless since this is how NAT is circumvented.

My computer makes outbound connection to web and thus web is allowed to connect to my computer.

I hope now that you understand that I don't think this tool is very usefull... though I may be wrong, since the scan can be started later.

But websites can use tricks to keep connections open perhaps that is what shields up is doing.

For my test, you would try to connect to my computer without my computer making an outbound connection to your computer.

At least that is kinda the idea.

Bye,
Skybuck.

OK, maybe your Inbound are all blocked by default.
That seems sensible.

This article addresses Outbound, but you can see
the Firewall window also has an "Inbound" section.
For test, you'd want to set up a server on Port 80 (WWW)
or Port 23 (FTP).

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/site...all_rules1.png

( https://www.digitalcitizen.life/mana...anced-security )

With the Firewall opened, and a server task connected
to that port, *then* you can scan with GRC.

I'm not convinced yet, that your device is bridged though.
It's a modem/router.

*******

https://www.ebay.com/p/Slightly-Zigg...ter/1183276738

BRAND Ubee
MPN EVM320B ("Ambit"???)
Model EVM3200 === device family, discontinued?

That got me here, and at the bottom of the page is a manual.

https://ubeeinteractive.nl/

76 page manual

https://ubeeinteractive.nl/images/zi...eavanceerd.pdf

"Port Forwarding" is there (page 24). The thing has phone jacks (VOIP)
so you would expect a router inside.

I'm sure there's a way to turn off the gateway and
router and just make a "modem" out of it, but that
would be a terrible waste. If the router isn't
all that good though, I could see someone turning
off the feature.

I'm a little slow when it comes to clicking links, but I finally opened
that router manual and I see on page 5 that they used
http://192.168.178.1 in that example for the "modemrouter" admin IP.
In Section 4.1 on page 10 they show how to change the admin IP to
whatever you want, so maybe skybuck changed it at some point.

skybuck,
According to http://whatsmyrouterip.com/ the most common admin IP for
Ubee devices is http://192.168.100.1, which you said you tried already,
but keep in mind that you'll have to temporarily change the IP address
of your PC so that it's on that same subnet. If you think you changed
the admin IP to something else, temporarily change your PC's IP so that
you're on the right subnet, then attempt a login or attempt a scan.

Note that you can't effectively do a scan without changing your PCs IP
because you'll be scanning a 'remote' network, so all of the scan
traffic will go to your ISPs default gateway, bypassing the router.

As a last resort, you could reset the modemrouter to its factory
defaults. That won't affect the modem side of the box but it will affect
the router side. It'll probably bring the router portion back online and
assign the default admin IP, so you'd be able to login and poke around.

Old October 13th 18, 06:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I'm a little slow when it comes to clicking links, but I finally opened
that router manual and I see on page 5 that they used
http://192.168.178.1 in that example for the "modemrouter" admin IP.

Tried this,

What would need to be the subnet mask for this ?

In Section 4.1 on page 10 they show how to change the admin IP to
whatever you want, so maybe skybuck changed it at some point.

skybuck,
According to http://whatsmyrouterip.com/ the most common admin IP for
Ubee devices is http://192.168.100.1, which you said you tried already,

Subnet mask ?

but keep in mind that you'll have to temporarily change the IP address
of your PC so that it's on that same subnet. If you think you changed
the admin IP to something else, temporarily change your PC's IP so that
you're on the right subnet, then attempt a login or attempt a scan.

Why need to change ip ? Hmmm...

Note that you can't effectively do a scan without changing your PCs IP
because you'll be scanning a 'remote' network, so all of the scan
traffic will go to your ISPs default gateway, bypassing the router.

As a last resort, you could reset the modemrouter to its factory
defaults. That won't affect the modem side of the box but it will affect
the router side. It'll probably bring the router portion back online and
assign the default admin IP, so you'd be able to login and poke around.

According to folks on the forum they successfully scan stuff... I think the traffic will go onto the internet, or at least this gateway and then back into the modem/router or so ?

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 13th 18, 06:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Well device didnt arrive yet.

It was a very warm, beautifull sunny and unusual day, so I think the postman/delivery guy took a hike and went to some cafe/terras or something to enjoy one of the last hot days before the winter kicks in... too funny.

Not sure if delivery will go through on sunday or monday...

Probably monday though not sure...

Or it was delivered at some shop somewhere... will have to check status of it...

Bye for now,
Skybuck
Old October 14th 18, 02:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 10:34:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I'm a little slow when it comes to clicking links, but I finally opened
that router manual and I see on page 5 that they used
http://192.168.178.1 in that example for the "modemrouter" admin IP.

Tried this,

What would need to be the subnet mask for this ?

The mask isn't critical, as long as it results in your PC being in the
same subnet. For fun, you could use /30 (255.255.255.252), which would
mean only two hosts are in the subnet: 192.168.178.1 and *.178.2. That
would work if your PC is set to use 192.168.178.2, but to be more
practical you could use /24. It doesn't matter as long as you're in the
same subnet.

In Section 4.1 on page 10 they show how to change the admin IP to
whatever you want, so maybe skybuck changed it at some point.

skybuck,
According to http://whatsmyrouterip.com/ the most common admin IP for
Ubee devices is http://192.168.100.1, which you said you tried already,

Subnet mask ?

Same as above. Any netmask is fine for this simple test as long as it
results in your PC being in the same subnet as your target destination.
Choose an IP such as 192.168.100.2 for your PC and a netmask of /24, for
example.

but keep in mind that you'll have to temporarily change the IP address
of your PC so that it's on that same subnet. If you think you changed
the admin IP to something else, temporarily change your PC's IP so that
you're on the right subnet, then attempt a login or attempt a scan.

Why need to change ip ? Hmmm...

When you're trying to connect directly to another device, (I mean the
physical connection is direct, not through a router), you have to be in
the same subnet as that device. Being in the same subnet isn't a problem
if you're connecting through a router because after all, that's what
routers do, they connect different subnets. Since you don't have a
router, you have to manually change your local IP on your PC.

As you're sending the request to connect, your IP stack looks at the
destination IP and compares it to your own IP, using the network mask
(subnet mask, or netmask) to make the comparison. If it determines that
the destination is within your subnet, it uses ARP to find that device's
MAC address and then it sends the request to that MAC address. If the IP
comparison says the destination is in another subnet, the traffic gets
sent to your default gateway. (If you had static routes configured,
they'd take priority, but I'm sure you don't have static routes.)

So when the destination IP is in another subnet and the traffic goes to
your default gateway, there's no provision for it to "hairpin" and
return back to you.

Note that you can't effectively do a scan without changing your PCs IP
because you'll be scanning a 'remote' network, so all of the scan
traffic will go to your ISPs default gateway, bypassing the router.

As a last resort, you could reset the modemrouter to its factory
defaults. That won't affect the modem side of the box but it will affect
the router side. It'll probably bring the router portion back online and
assign the default admin IP, so you'd be able to login and poke around.

According to folks on the forum they successfully scan stuff... I think the traffic will go onto the internet, or at least this gateway and then back into the modem/router or so ?

No, no hairpinning allowed. If you try to scan a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x
network without actually being on the proper network yourself, your scan
requests will go out to your default gateway where it will simply be
dropped.

Old October 14th 18, 12:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Some notes:

1. I probably put the router in bridge mode myself.

2. I did have to add a static route to try and make tunngle weird.

Maybe this somehow screwed up the routing table on my windows PC ?

Maybe you can make some sense of this:

C:\Users\Skybuckroute print
Interface List
30...00 01 6c c8 68 f7 ......NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #3
33...00 ff 88 8c 04 24 ......TAP-Win32 Adapter V9 (Tunngle)
29...00 01 6c c8 68 f6 ......Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Contr
oller #3
1...........................Software Loopback Interface 1
28...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
35...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
38...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
37...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3
39...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #2

IPv4 Route Table
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 84.25.112.1 84.25.113.203 10
84.25.112.0 255.255.254.0 On-link 84.25.113.203 266
84.25.113.203 255.255.255.255 On-link 84.25.113.203 266
84.25.113.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 84.25.113.203 266
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
127.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 On-link 84.25.113.203 266
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 84.25.113.203 266
Persistent Routes:
None

IPv6 Route Table
Active Routes:
If Metric Network Destination Gateway
39 1025 ::/0 2002:c058:6301::1
39 1026 ::/0 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
1 306 ::1/128 On-link
39 1010 2002::/16 On-link
39 266 2002:5419:71cb::5419:71cb/128
On-link
30 266 fe80::/64 On-link
30 266 fe80::581b:c1a:e679:57e3/128
On-link
1 306 ff00::/8 On-link
30 266 ff00::/8 On-link
Persistent Routes:
None

C:\Users\Skybuck

See anything bad/wrong ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old October 14th 18, 12:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

No, no hairpinning allowed. If you try to scan a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x
network without actually being on the proper network yourself, your scan
requests will go out to your default gateway where it will simply be
dropped.

When "net route add" is used is it forever or is the setting lost on next boot ?

What I think might be happening concerning this scanning of 10.x.x.x

10.x.x.x is one big subnet.

The modem's ip is within 10.x.x.x range.

So it seems to make perfect sense to be able to query other modems and itself even on this subnet.

Though maybe setting my PC to IP 10.x.x.x could be a nice track to communicate with this modem ?

Though perhaps 10.x.x.x is only allowed/recognized if it comes over coax... not sure about that.

Basically the modem doesn't seem to know that it's ip is 10.x.x.x so this is why traffic is simply forwarded to some router or device on 10.x.x.x which somehow sends something back to the modem... maybe an ARP or something...

or perhaps TCP connections to 10.x.x.x.

This is what the port scanner seems to be doing... it's trying to find a tcp port on these cable modems...

Somehow it must be working for some of them... seems to work for most regions if not all, but at least south part of country... some parts didn;t show 10.x.x.x in trace route but that depends on router configs... the 10.x.x.x seems to be used for many modems in many regions.

It's thread from 2012 though, maybe some stuff has changed.

Theoretically you'll have to find an explanation why it worked, since it worked for them

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 14th 18, 11:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Performed network scan of a certain range did find some ips but probably not my modem.

I am now pretty sure the cable modem is located on 192.168.1.1.

I can ping it, but when attempting http://192.168.1.1

It says connection was reset.

Perhaps I configured the modem in such a way that only a certain source IP is accepted, but I already did a factor reset.

Maybe have to reset it a couple of times, but I don't think that is going to work.

Any ideas ?

Ever seen a modem say: "connection was reset" ???

Firewall down.

Try public and local ip for computer...

Example of http get request:

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.1.1
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Connection: keep-alive
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1

Bye,
Skybuck.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 14th 18, 11:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I was able to see the status screen for a few seconds/on first load of website 192.168.1.1

How I did it was as follows:

1. Read this manual:

https://modemly.com/Ubee-EWV3200-router-setup

It says to reset for 15 seconds !

I did this... after 15 seconds the lights started blinking.

Then as soon as it starts downloading from ISP, I can no longer go into menu which is very strange.

Maybe this is why coax cable was loose during my other experiments in the passed.

I will now fully disconnect coax cable and repeat reset experiment to see if I can get into this menu.

It was a status screen though looks like this:

Docsis
Firmware
Status

Basic
Docsis
This page displays the docsis information.
Startup Procedure
Aquired Downstream Status In progress
Upstream Ranging Status
Docsis DHCP Status
Docsis TFTP Status
Docsis TOD Status
Security Status Disabled / BPI+

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Frequency Power SNR
1 Not Locked unknown 329000000 Hz -6.9 dBmV 22.9 dBmV
2 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
3 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
4 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
5 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
6 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
7 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
8 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV

Correctables Uncorrectables
0 0

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
2 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
3 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
4 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Downstream Frequency Select (in KHz)

©2009 Ubee Broadband Corporation. All rights reserved.

Perhaps corruption has something to do with it.

Or some setting is getting downloaded which locks it out.

Also I will need prove that downloading settings is protected by crc32s and such otherwise corruption remains plausible.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 15th 18, 12:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I finally managed to get into this ubee cable modem, by disconnecting white/coax cable, this is what I managed to captu

(XXXXX = blacked out by me)

Basis information:

http://192.168.1.1/

Firmware
Hardware Version 2.54
Software Version 4.111.5004
Cable Modem Serial Number EVM320BXXXXXX
CM certificate Installed

Basic
Status
System Up Time 0 days 00h:03m:18s
Network Access Denied
Cable Modem MAC xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
CPE MAC xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Use this link to get to advanced section:

http://192.168.1.1/AdvDhcp.asp

Authentication required:

"http://192.168.1.1 is requesting your username and password. The site says: “AMBIT”"

username: admin
password: password

Valid links:

http://192.168.1.1/BasicCmState.asp
http://192.168.1.1/BasicFirmware.asp
http://192.168.1.1/BasicStatus.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvMta.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvLine.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvDhcp.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvQos.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvProvisioning.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvEventLog.asp

This is what I managed to capture after the modem was connected to COAX:

I am starting to believe my hyptohesis of COAX line corruption is correct:

The log shows a warning:

"DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC."

Seems like the response is corrupted ?!?!?

Event Log
This page displays the Event Log on the current system.
CM Event Log
Date/Time Event Level Event ID Description
Time Not Established Warning (5) D3.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC...
Time Not Established Critical (3) R2.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=0c:60:76:49...
Time Not Established Critical (3) T1.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...
Time Not Established Critical (3) T2.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...

MTA Event Log
Date/Time Event Level Event ID Description
Endpoint

Bye,
Skybuck.