Mysterious internet/ethernet issue (kinda need testing/connection/communicationservice to diagnose it ???)

Old October 12th 18, 11:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Mysterious internet/ethernet issue (kinda needtesting/connection/communication service to diagnose it ???)

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 10:14:53 PM UTC+2, Char Jackson wrote:
On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 11:31:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Annoying perhaps, but critical to the success of any networking, whether
local on your LAN or extending to the Internet as a whole. Simply put,
the netmask tells you which part of an IP address refers to the network
and which part identifies the particular host.

I know this already, it's very vague, cause all kinds of network types possible.

Also how to calculate this netmask in the head ?

Just use an IP calculator. There are tons available on the web.

Very hard to do requires calculating some bitmask and then converting that to decimals... ok I can do that.

Why not enter all this stuff in bits in the first place, maybe be a bit easier and prevent this conversion calculation.

Then the thing that gets even worse is this /24 specifier...

The /24 is shorthand for 255.255.255.0. Both formats show that 24 bits
are being used to specify the network and the other 8 bits are being
used to identify the hosts on that network.

I think I get it now.

24 means the first 24 bits are masked ?

Or is this just a coincidence ?

What would net mask be for 255.255.254.0 ?

/23 ?

So then bits are order from left to right

123456789-----23.

Hmmm..

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old October 12th 18, 11:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I strongly assume the answer to the first part is yes, and that alone
would have confirmed to you that the device is a combo modem-router and
not simply a modem.

LOL, you mean menu of cable modem ?

No I cannot access it via the ethernet/http/local lan, this is the kinda weird part.

I think this happened after last time I configured it... I must have done something wrong.

Or it was closed off, hacked or damaged.

I think I was playing around with NAT settings, bridge settings or even "militarized zone" or whatever that means. DMZ ?! something weird.

Hmmm kinda funny if a setting locked me out from the modem...

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 12th 18, 11:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I can get a new modem from my ISP whenever I want, I am "eligeable" for it, cause my modem is so old.

But if it ain't broke don't fix it

My cable modem is allowing me the internet and receive so as far as I am concerned it ain't broken.

Also I am not sure if I will like the new one. It must not have a fan/ventilator or it will suck the living **** out of the dust out of room into it and it will overheat within a month plus additional noise could also be annoying.

I do look forward to "multiple ethernet ports" and multiple pcs to such a device and maybe even ipv6 or multicast and maybe even higher speeds.

But that will have to wait till later, maybe when I buy new PC.

Switching cable modems is not a light thing for me.

Internet is very important for me, so I am not just going to switch to some unknown new cable modem.

This old one has served me very well... never let me down connection wise, well almost never.

Seen it hang lately maybe one or twice... but beside from that no real significant issues.

Furthermore I want to try and find out what caused all of this in the first place to try and prevent it from happening again.

Especially if it was a misconfiguration... since new cable modem will be even more complex.

Also trying to diagnose this mystery is interesting in itself and learn from it.

Had I replaced modem immediately for example instead of calling my ISP... TV signal would still be bad.

Tomorrow I will learn more.

Maybe fixing this splitter will allow me to access my cable modem for some strange reason... probably not but who knows.

Maybe the noise on the line, if real, is causing a misconfiguration of the cable modem because some bits are flipped cause of noise.

Perhaps configuration parameters downloaded to the device on reset are not protected by CRC32/integrity checking.

This might explain why the cable modem menu is being locked out, if it's some strange http/webserver misconfiguration by packet/data corruption due to noise.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old October 13th 18, 06:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

wrote:

[...]

Yes, in a /24 network the first 24 bits (or first 3 octets) identify the
local subnet. The rest, the last 8 bits (since IPv4 is 32 bits long) are
used to identify the devices on that network. The first and last
addresses (0 and 255 if the network is /24) are reserved: 0 means 'this
network' and 255 is the broadcast IP, which leaves room for 254 actual
networking devices.

Or is this just a coincidence ?

What would net mask be for 255.255.254.0 ?

/23 ?

Correct, and a /23 subnet has address space for about 510 devices,
versus the 254 for a /24.

Old October 13th 18, 06:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 15:26:35 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I can get a new modem from my ISP whenever I want, I am "eligeable" for it, cause my modem is so old.

No, I suggested *buying* a modem, if your ISP allows it. Getting another
modem from your ISP won't help anything. That way you can make sure the
modem is just a modem. You don't want a router included in the same
device. The router should be separate from the modem.

Here in the States, Arris is the big name in cable modems. They bought
the SurfBoard line from Motorola several years back.

But if it ain't broke don't fix it

My cable modem is allowing me the internet and receive so as far as I am concerned it ain't broken.

So ask your ISP how to access it. If they can see 69 million errors, you
should be able to see the same thing.

Also I am not sure if I will like the new one. It must not have a fan/ventilator or it will suck the living **** out of the dust out of room into it and it will overheat within a month plus additional noise could also be annoying.

You can read reviews and browse manuals, etc. There's no reason to ever
buy blind.

I do look forward to "multiple ethernet ports" and multiple pcs to such a device and maybe even ipv6 or multicast and maybe even higher speeds.

Cable modems don't have fans or multiple Ethernet LAN ports. If you see
a cable modem with multiple LAN ports, there's a router inside, so it's
best to avoid that one.

[...]

"No" to all of the above. None of those are realistic scenarios.

Old October 13th 18, 07:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Char Jackson wrote:
On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 18:22:47 -0400, Paul wrote:

Char Jackson wrote:
On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 11:31:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Annoying perhaps, but critical to the success of any networking, whether
local on your LAN or extending to the Internet as a whole. Simply put,
the netmask tells you which part of an IP address refers to the network
and which part identifies the particular host.
I know this already, it's very vague, cause all kinds of network types possible.

Also how to calculate this netmask in the head ?
Just use an IP calculator. There are tons available on the web.

When you have a moment, pop down to the

"Port-Restricted Cone NAT Router (Game Ranger)"

thread, and look at what "ipconfig" coughed
up on his PC.

Bridged ??? Or what ???

I was expecting a 192.168.x.y address.

He's been mentioning router settings such as port forwarding, DMZ, and
other things, so it's a dreaded modem-router combo box, but per his
ipconfig output there's no NAT so the router section is disabled.

His ISP must have done that.

I think the box is modem/router/VOIP with two RJ11 jacks,
and it's possible disabling the routing portion might also
take out the VOIP as well. Not that this is necessary to
disable the VOIP of course. If there's no registration
on the server, it's not going to work anyway.

Paul
Old October 13th 18, 12:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

8 bits allow a range of 0 to 255. So minus the broadcast address it's 0 to 254.

Which is 255 devices.

9 bits doubles this to 510 devices. So you seem correct about that but wrong about the first ?

Where you off by one for /24 ? Or is there something special going on ?

For example address 0 can't be used ? Think it can though

Bye,
Skybuck.