Mysterious internet/ethernet issue (kinda need testing/connection/communicationservice to diagnose it ???)

Old October 12th 18, 07:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Mysterious internet/ethernet issue (kinda needtesting/connection/communication service to diagnose it ???)

Annoying perhaps, but critical to the success of any networking, whether
local on your LAN or extending to the Internet as a whole. Simply put,
the netmask tells you which part of an IP address refers to the network
and which part identifies the particular host.

I know this already, it's very vague, cause all kinds of network types possible.

Also how to calculate this netmask in the head ?

Very hard to do requires calculating some bitmask and then converting that to decimals... ok I can do that.

Why not enter all this stuff in bits in the first place, maybe be a bit easier and prevent this conversion calculation.

Then the thing that gets even worse is this /24 specifier...

What is this supposed to mean ?

Also can netmasks be 10101010101 or always 1111111 ?

The first case is my guess, which makes very little sense.

Perhaps these guys trying to access their ziggo modems are talking about two different things:

1. The status page of the modem.
2. The menus of the modem.

They are trying to access 1, which is cut off from them, only from external it can be seen.

Not sure if these guys can access 2.

What would cause 2 to not be available ?

If I set my cable modem to bridge mode or some other crazy setting is there a chance the webserver won't work anymore ?

What setting would I have to set for the webserver to go missing ?

Also surely the IP address assigned to this webserver would be resetted if I reset the cable modem ?!

Even if not I already tried a scan of 192.168.x.x

However this can be done partiually...

later on the cable modem gets an ip from coax/isp. and this can no longer function... even windows refuses to send packets out, however the scan program happily continues.

One possibility to keep the cable modem operating at IP range 192.168.x.x would be to disconnect it from the internet by removing the coax cable.

I may try this later to perform an IP scan range on this device.

I do remember re-assing 192.168.100.1 to something more reasonable 0.100 or something or 0.254

But now I can't remember, apperently didn't document it, maybe it was even on different modem but I think it was on this.

May have to replace this modem cause not being able to enter it is kinda ****ty... and weird... hack concerns also.

Wish somebody could read out it's memory contents and check if it was hacked or so.

Another hypo is that ISP tried some experimental software update and it somehow failed.

Or my vaccum cleaner killed parts of it... still strange that it's functioning perfectly except the menu... seems more human intervention then by chance.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 12th 18, 07:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 8:04:51 PM UTC+2, Char Jackson wrote:
On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 08:55:31 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I tried:

192.168.100.2 for windows PC
255.255.255.0 netmask.

The cable modem remains unaccessable from the local LAN.

Assuming you were still physically connected directly to the modem
device, that tells me one of two things:
1. The modem may not have a web server at all. Not all plain DOCSIS
modems do, although most do.
2. Or, your modem may be a combo modem-router, which I believe is likely
to be the case. As a result, there will not be a web server listening at
the usual 192.168.100.1 address because:
2A: the modem info is available via the router interface, or
2B: the ISP doesn't make the modem info available to you.

So your knowledge of this is now completely useless, because of either:

1. It's locked by the ISP, these cable modems can only be accessed from the outside.

2. It's a bug/problem, modem was resetted.

Most likely cause is locking/updating of the cable modem bios/firmware.

There was a thread on the internet about people locating their public IPs of their cable modems, this is more difficult to do then it seems.

It's difficult because cable modems don't have public IP addresses, at
least not a public address that you can access (if the ISP is doing
their job properly). A plain DOCSIS modem will usually have a web server
at 192.168.100.1 that is only accessible from the LAN side of the modem,
(you can access it, but the ISP cannot), and a web server that is only
accessible from the WAN side of the modem (the ISP can access it, but
you cannot). Technically, the WAN IP is a publicly routable IP, but if
the ISP is even slightly competent, you should not be able to access
your modem via that IP. You'd have to traverse multiple firewalls that
are internal to the ISP.

A tracert will probably not report it because the cable modem does not take part in the trace and does not reveal itself ? Or there is another reason for it.

At the networking level, a plain cable modem is technically a bridge,
and bridges don't operate at OSI Layer 3 where traceroutes operate.
That's why cable modems don't show up in a traceroute. However, it
appears that you don't have a plain cable modem, but a combo
modem-router unit. As such, it (the router portion of that combo device)
should appear in your traceroute results. The modem portion will not
show up because of the reason given above.

If you know how to find my public IP address of my Cable modem I am all ears, cause this is interesting stuff.

And apperently it is something completely different than my Windows PC public IP address which I can tell you right now is simply:

85.25.113.203

mask

255.255.254.0

gateway

84.25.112.1

I assume that's a typo. The gateway should be 85.25.112.1

Well spotted, but it's other way around at least currently.

85 was the typo, this must be 84 for my public ip address

dhcp

10.255.235.1

If that's the IP address of your PC, then yes, you're using NAT. By
definition, addresses within the 10.x.x.x range are not publicly
routable.

No this is ip dhcp gateway... just to lazy to type it follow.

See windows 7 network/adapter screenshot

On second thought just gonna roll out some ipconfig at least this can be copied pasted somewhat... even from ****ty ms-dos prompt this will get an update in windows 10 sometime me on windows 7 though.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Skybuckipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : dynamic.ziggo.nl
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::581b:c1a:e679:57e3%30
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 84.25.113.203

Ethernet adapter Tunngle:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 8:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 19:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Tunnel adapter isatap.{888C0424-09D9-48F6-84EB-EDBE6297AB66}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Tunnel adapter Reusable Microsoft 6To4 Adapter:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Tunnel adapter isatap.dynamic.ziggo.nl:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : dynamic.ziggo.nl

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 17:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : dynamic.ziggo.nl
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:5419:71cb::5419:71cb
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::1
2002:c058:6301::c058:6301

C:\Users\Skybuck

Bye,
Skybuck

Old October 12th 18, 07:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

sure the router doesn't notice what you're doing to it :-)
I can have my router send a log packet to this
PC, so I can see what's going on.

You're describing SNMP, but SNMP and SMTP (email) are just two methods
by which a networking device can send its logs to an external device.

SNMP is disabled according to folks on ziggo forum.

Here is my question for you:

Is SNMP only used for "cable modem status page" ? for ISP side ?

Or is SNMP also used to access cable modem menu ?!

If later then this explains why I cannot access my cable modem menu anymore.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 12th 18, 07:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

By the way, you didn't mention the results of the test to check for NAT.
I'm guessing you'll find that NAT is indeed involved.

I am not sure what test you mean ?

I did test udp/ip a moment ago... and it was working the way I expected it to work.

I find the test you mentioned, this shields up to vague, it does not specify which ports are being tested, it scans a bunch I don't need/want that.

I need only one udp port to be scanned/tested, this is enough for me.

So I used a different scanner/udp generator mentioned somewhere else in this thread.

This keeps down complexity and avoid any problems like bandwidth shortage or spam protection etc.

So I like the more "simple" test better than a full range test.

For now I do not believe my PC is "natted" at least not for IP/UDP.

TCP/IP may be a different matter.

I also still does not explain why coin system 1 seems to work and coin system 2 does not seem to work.

Only testing can figure this out.

coin system 2 which is a clone of 1 used a different dns name to find my computer... according to others this dns is working just fine and I can confirm it's working just fine.

One more test I could do is replace the dns name (I don't like DNS in general for networking but ok) with just hard-coded IP addresses see if that makes any difference.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 12th 18, 09:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 11:31:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Annoying perhaps, but critical to the success of any networking, whether
local on your LAN or extending to the Internet as a whole. Simply put,
the netmask tells you which part of an IP address refers to the network
and which part identifies the particular host.

I know this already, it's very vague, cause all kinds of network types possible.

Also how to calculate this netmask in the head ?

Just use an IP calculator. There are tons available on the web.

Very hard to do requires calculating some bitmask and then converting that to decimals... ok I can do that.

Why not enter all this stuff in bits in the first place, maybe be a bit easier and prevent this conversion calculation.

Then the thing that gets even worse is this /24 specifier...

The /24 is shorthand for 255.255.255.0. Both formats show that 24 bits
are being used to specify the network and the other 8 bits are being
used to identify the hosts on that network.

What is this supposed to mean ?

Also can netmasks be 10101010101 or always 1111111 ?

The first case is my guess, which makes very little sense.

Play with an IP calculator to see what happens when you adjust the
netmask. Bottom line, when sending IP traffic from a networking device
such as a PC, the netmask is consulted to see whether the destination is
local or remote. If it's local, use ARP to find the physical address
(MAC address) of the device that owns the destination IP. If it's
remote, slap the physical (MAC) address of the gateway onto the packet.
Every device on the local network will see the packet, but all devices
will ignore it except for the device that has a matching MAC address,
the gateway in this example. The gateway will strip off its own MAC from
the packet and replace it with the MAC of the next device upstream, then
forward it on to that device. At each hop, the destination IP stays the
same but the destination MAC changes, until it finally reaches its
destination. That will be where the destination IP and the destination
MAC refer to the same networking device.

Perhaps these guys trying to access their ziggo modems are talking about two different things:

1. The status page of the modem.
2. The menus of the modem.

They are trying to access 1, which is cut off from them, only from external it can be seen.

Not sure if these guys can access 2.

What would cause 2 to not be available ?

If I set my cable modem to bridge mode or some other crazy setting is there a chance the webserver won't work anymore ?

What setting would I have to set for the webserver to go missing ?

The most likely cause for the modem's web server to "go missing" is:
1. That specific model of cable modem simply doesn't have a web server.
Unusual, but not unheard of. Back in the 1990's, Toshiba cable modems
were examples of devices that didn't have internal web servers.

2. If you have a combo modem-router, you won't have a standalone cable
modem web server. It'll either be integrated into the router interface
or it simply won't be accessible to you on the LAN side of the device.

If you really want to see what's going on, check with your ISP about
purchasing your own cable modem and router. Be sure to look at getting
separate devices for those two functions. Then you'll have all of the
logs and visibility that you've been asking for.

Also surely the IP address assigned to this webserver would be resetted if I reset the cable modem ?!

No. The WAN-side IP address of a cable modem is mapped to its MAC
address, so resetting the cable modem will always result in getting the
same WAN-side IP, not that it does you any good since you can't access
the modem via that IP.

Even if not I already tried a scan of 192.168.x.x

However this can be done partiually...

later on the cable modem gets an ip from coax/isp. and this can no longer function... even windows refuses to send packets out, however the scan program happily continues.

One possibility to keep the cable modem operating at IP range 192.168.x.x would be to disconnect it from the internet by removing the coax cable.

I may try this later to perform an IP scan range on this device.

I do remember re-assing 192.168.100.1 to something more reasonable 0.100 or something or 0.254

But now I can't remember, apperently didn't document it, maybe it was even on different modem but I think it was on this.

May have to replace this modem cause not being able to enter it is kinda ****ty... and weird... hack concerns also.

If the device belongs to the ISP, it's not weird at all. Buy your own
equipment (and stop paying their monthly rental fee) in order to get
more control.

Wish somebody could read out it's memory contents and check if it was hacked or so.

I used to do that back in 2006, but not to see if the modem was hacked
but rather to make sure it was hacked. You shouldn't do that, though. In
my case, the modems belonged to me, not to the ISP. The keyword is
"JTAG".

Another hypo is that ISP tried some experimental software update and it somehow failed.

Not at all likely. ISPs don't try experimental software on their
customer base. Things can and do go wrong from time to time, but I
wouldn't call it experimental.

Or my vaccum cleaner killed parts of it... still strange that it's functioning perfectly except the menu... seems more human intervention then by chance.

You've never mentioned whether you can access the router menu in that
device, and if so, whether the router menu includes one or more pages
for the modem side of the device.

I strongly assume the answer to the first part is yes, and that alone
would have confirmed to you that the device is a combo modem-router and
not simply a modem.

Old October 12th 18, 09:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 11:43:09 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

By the way, you didn't mention the results of the test to check for NAT.
I'm guessing you'll find that NAT is indeed involved.

I am not sure what test you mean ?

From my first post to this thread:

In any web browser, navigate to
https://www.whatismyip.com/
(There are lots of similar sites, but I suggested that one because it
displays *both* addresses - local and public.)
Your local IP address will be displayed, along with your 'Public' IP
address. If the two addresses are the same, there's no NAT. If the two
addresses are different, there is a strong likelihood of NAT, although
not necessarily.

I did test udp/ip a moment ago... and it was working the way I expected it to work.

I find the test you mentioned, this shields up to vague, it does not specify which ports are being tested, it scans a bunch I don't need/want that.

I need only one udp port to be scanned/tested, this is enough for me.

So I used a different scanner/udp generator mentioned somewhere else in this thread.

Shields Up can be used to probe a specific port. Just click the button
called "User-Specified Custom Port Probe". Enter the desired port and
away you go.

This keeps down complexity and avoid any problems like bandwidth shortage or spam protection etc.

So I like the more "simple" test better than a full range test.

For now I do not believe my PC is "natted" at least not for IP/UDP.

It sounds like you haven't checked for NAT just yet, so it's too early
to say. Go ahead and test as I described above, using
https://www.whatismyip.com.

TCP/IP may be a different matter.

I also still does not explain why coin system 1 seems to work and coin system 2 does not seem to work.

Only testing can figure this out.

coin system 2 which is a clone of 1 used a different dns name to find my computer... according to others this dns is working just fine and I can confirm it's working just fine.

One more test I could do is replace the dns name (I don't like DNS in general for networking but ok) with just hard-coded IP addresses see if that makes any difference.

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but it sounds like a new issue,
unrelated to the current discussion, right?

Old October 12th 18, 09:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 11:10:30 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

My hypothesis for now is:

The 69 million dropped packets may have been an incident or some other case, maybe PC too slow occasionally.

Kinda wanted to now if this was sporadic or constantly...

This is why I would like to get into the cable modem's log to see it with my own eyes to see what is going on.

Get your own modem, if your ISP allows it. Then you can see what's going
on inside.

Anyway...

Tonight and maybe tomorrow night I will try and scan a certain 10.x.x.x ip range since this is supposed to be the public ip ranges of these cable modems.

In an attempt to find my cable modems IP.

You aren't likely to find anything in the 10.x.x.x/8 range. You'd have
to do the scan from inside the ISP and at the moment you're only a
customer. They are seriously misconfigured on their end if they give you
access to that range.

Or perhaps a better idea, phone the ISP... ask them the IP address of my cable modem

Once and for all, is it a combo unit or a simple modem? Log into it and
see. Paul and I are guessing that it's a combo unit but you can confirm
it easily enough. Just log in and look around. It'll be obvious.

... but for me it's kinda more fun to perform a scan just to see if that works or not. Since it will be at night not too much of a big deal for me... except system collecting some dust... Maybe I ll try even both not sure yet.

Use a bit of caution. Some network administrators don't like having
their networks scanned. Most will put up with it because such scans are
so common these days, but now and then an admin will push back.

Old October 12th 18, 11:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 10:36:07 PM UTC+2, Char Jackson wrote:
On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 11:43:09 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

By the way, you didn't mention the results of the test to check for NAT.
I'm guessing you'll find that NAT is indeed involved.

I am not sure what test you mean ?

From my first post to this thread:

In any web browser, navigate to
https://www.whatismyip.com/
(There are lots of similar sites, but I suggested that one because it
displays *both* addresses - local and public.)
Your local IP address will be displayed, along with your 'Public' IP
address. If the two addresses are the same, there's no NAT. If the two
addresses are different, there is a strong likelihood of NAT, although
not necessarily.

Your Public IPv4 is: 84.25.113.203
Your IPv6 is: Not Detected
Your Local IP is: 84.25.113.203

I did test udp/ip a moment ago... and it was working the way I expected it to work.

I find the test you mentioned, this shields up to vague, it does not specify which ports are being tested, it scans a bunch I don't need/want that.

I need only one udp port to be scanned/tested, this is enough for me.

So I used a different scanner/udp generator mentioned somewhere else in this thread.

Shields Up can be used to probe a specific port. Just click the button
called "User-Specified Custom Port Probe". Enter the desired port and
away you go.

Only tcp or udp too ?

[...]

Not sure.

There seem to be different kinds of NAT, maybe some NAT are still there even if IP address are same in test above ?

Though most seem to replace IP... otherwise it wouldn't make sense to use NAT in first place... hmmm.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 12th 18, 11:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
sure the router doesn't notice what you're doing to it :-)
I can have my router send a log packet to this
PC, so I can see what's going on.

You're describing SNMP, but SNMP and SMTP (email) are just two methods
by which a networking device can send its logs to an external device.

SNMP is disabled according to folks on ziggo forum.

Here is my question for you:

Is SNMP only used for "cable modem status page" ? for ISP side ?

Or is SNMP also used to access cable modem menu ?!

If later then this explains why I cannot access my cable modem menu anymore.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Go to this page.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Click "Proceed".

On the new page that appears, look for this row.

File Sharing Common Ports All Service Ports

Hold your mouse over "All Service Ports" and you should
see a "hand" icon. That means the "All Service Ports"
field is a "button". Click the button to kick off a test.
That should cover the status of the first 1056 ports
(1024 ports plus a few more).

Paul