FUJI Finepix 2650 camera USB?

Old August 4th 17, 12:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default FUJI Finepix 2650 camera USB?

My friend has a FUJI Finepix 2650 camera, and has has lost the cable
to connect it to PC USB. I have checked EBAY etc to try to help him
find a replacement. But it seems confusing - at least to me. I don't
want to order the wrong one.
Anyone out there have this camera? Maybe you can guide me to the
right cable. Seems te camera end can be one of several choices - and
that's my problem.
Just thot I'd ask.
Sa,
Old August 4th 17, 01:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
My friend has a FUJI Finepix 2650 camera, and has has lost the cable
to connect it to PC USB. I have checked EBAY etc to try to help him
find a replacement. But it seems confusing - at least to me. I don't
want to order the wrong one.
Anyone out there have this camera? Maybe you can guide me to the
right cable. Seems te camera end can be one of several choices - and
that's my problem.
Just thot I'd ask.
Sa,

The "USB" article on Wikipedia, has connector images.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#/m..._konektory.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#/m...connectors.JPG

The 2650 might be using a micro-A. Notice that anyone
"selling a cable for the 2650" will not tell you the connector
type on each end of the cable, because that would empower you
with the knowledge to look elsewhere. It's the same trick the
DRAM DIMM companies use, when they make a "proprietary" DIMM,
when in fact generic substitutes work just fine. By not
providing detail, they hope to "rope you in".

I suspect your camera end could be a micro-A, because
pictures of the product look rectangular on the end. The
person owning the camera, can use a magnifying glass to verify
the connector shape and size.

Sometimes, there are proprietary connectors on things like
Smartphones, where there are more than the normal number
of pins (five), and the additional pins carry headset
audio or the like. And then the connector design on the
phone is arranged, such that if a standard cable is
plugged in, just the five pins would touch. If a proprietary
cable is plugged in, then the user can attach their
ear buds.

But for other device types, like a camera, there is
less need for hijinks. And all it really needs is just
the standards-defined set of five USB pins.

The five-pin pinout is also in the Wikipedia article.
The fifth pin is "ID". The shield metal on the connector
is shield ground. And that counts as a sixth conductor.
The shield ground receives most of the ESD discharges.

VBUS --- +5V or other standard voltage (3.3V?)
D- \__ USB2 480Mbit/sec diff signaling
D+ /
ID --- host end, grounded.
Device end, open circuit
OTG (On-The-Go) identifier
GND --- signal ground

The ferrite slug on the cable, prevents common mode
electrical noise from being emitted (like an antenna)
from the cable wire. Some cables, have the slug on
both ends, because both ends have digital devices
connected (and both could emit RF noise). The ferrite
is to help the devices comply with FCC Part 15.

The ferrite doesn't actually help with the signal
quality at all, and mainly is there to prevent the
device manufacturer from "getting in trouble by
violating FCC Part 15". My camera cable has a single
ferrite, and it is nearest the camera end. So Canon
is doing that, on the assumption that without it,
the camera would shoot out RF interference into
the air :-)

On the cables I see for sale, the ferrite blob is
mainly a "hood ornament", since the marketing materials
don't seem to use it as a selling point. And the thing
inside there could actually be a block of wood, and
nobody would know... :-)

Paul
Old August 4th 17, 01:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

SamSpade wrote:

My friend has a FUJI Finepix 2650 camera, and has has lost the cable
to connect it to PC USB. I have checked EBAY etc to try to help him
find a replacement. But it seems confusing - at least to me. I
don't want to order the wrong one. Anyone out there have this camera?
Maybe you can guide me to the right cable. Seems te camera end can
be one of several choices - and that's my problem.

I had a FujiFilm camera (probably not the same model) and it used a
converter cable: USB-A one end to mini-B USB the other end. You should
be able to find one for cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B00NH13S44

You can get a link to the online manual at:

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/support/S...prodcat=499973

Page 4 says "USB cable with Noise Suppression core." That is just a
ferrite core (bead) at one end of the cable. You can find those, too,
for the longer cables or just get a short cable so induced RF isn't an
issue. Mine was an arm's length cable with no ferrite core. They try
to make it sound like a custom cable by repeatedly referring to it as
the "special USB cable". Yeah, right. The only thing "special" is that
one end is not a USB-A connector and perhaps they screwed with the
standard USB plug types by creating their own proprietary one. On that
page is a link to contact them where you could ask about what style USB
connector is used on that camera and possibly if they will sell you one
(expect a high price and ridiculous high shipping costs).

If the small connector doesn't look like the mini-B USB connector that I
showed in the link above, it might be a micro-USB connector. That has
smooth or rounded sides, like:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

It's possible they use the square mini-USB connector on the camera end.
From what I could see of pics of that camera (none showed a nice big pic
of the side with the camera's USB port), it looked like a square port.
I couldn't find a spec on that shape and 4-pins for a USB connector.
Could be Fuji came up with their own style. I noticed Olympus has yet
another special (custom) shape. Guess some camera makers are a-holes
and want you to use their camera and to obtain replacements from them.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=372028722547

That shows a cable with the "special" (aka non-standard) USB connector
for the camera end. That has the ferrite bead because it is 2 meters
(~6 feet) long.

https://www.cablewholesale.com/produ...-02106bk-4.php

That shows the 4-pin (instead of 5-pin) mini-B USB connector. Notice
the rounded corners and somewhat fat shape for the tiny connector.
You'll have to look at the camera's USB port to see if it looks like a
mini-B with its jutting out lugs on one side, a micro-USB shaped like a
small "D", the fat mini-B, or the mini-sized one that is square shaped.
Old August 4th 17, 10:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 17:29:58 -0700, Mike S wrote:

On 8/3/2017 4:33 PM, wrote:
My friend has a FUJI Finepix 2650 camera, and has has lost the cable
to connect it to PC USB. I have checked EBAY etc to try to help him
find a replacement. But it seems confusing - at least to me. I don't
want to order the wrong one.
Anyone out there have this camera? Maybe you can guide me to the
right cable. Seems te camera end can be one of several choices - and
that's my problem.
Just thot I'd ask.
Sa,

https://www.amazon.com/TacPower-Cabl...s=finepix+2650

Thanks
I don't know how you found these 2 sites - I looked quite extensively
- thot I did anyway. The cable camera end looks correct (small and
square) while most found looked slightly larger and not square. That
scared me away of course.
Thanks
Sam
Old August 4th 17, 10:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Thu, 03 Aug 2017 20:22:50 -0400, Paul

[...]

Thanks again Paul-
Super informative.
I think you're right - that the camera end is micro-a.
I didn't say - but I actually have the camera right here, in front of
me. The camera female port is super small and square.
I found the offerings on Ebay were quite vague as you point out.
Many looked not to be square-ended. And most did not say '2650' that
I saw.
The two sites Mike sent look to be good. I'm gonna buy one. Cheap
enough.
Sam
Old August 4th 17, 10:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

s|b wrote:
On Thu, 03 Aug 2017 19:33:45 -0400, wrote:

My friend has a FUJI Finepix 2650 camera, and has has lost the cable
to connect it to PC USB. I have checked EBAY etc to try to help him
find a replacement. But it seems confusing - at least to me. I don't
want to order the wrong one.
Anyone out there have this camera? Maybe you can guide me to the
right cable. Seems te camera end can be one of several choices - and
that's my problem.
Just thot I'd ask.

A memory card reader isn't an option?

Fuji FinePix 2650 Digital Camera
Review Date Jan29, 2003

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/F2650/F265A.HTM

The camera is around 14 years old or so, in terms
of the design.

*******

The camera does have plug-in memory. It was
provided with a 16MB card in the box.

The memory card type is xD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XD-Picture_Card

"Less widely supported by camera, card reader,
and accessory manufacturers than other formats.

original xD - available in 16 MiB to 512 MiB capacities
February 2005 (Type M)
November 2005 (Type H)
April 2008 (Type M+)
"

If you already owned a card reader that could read
xD, then that's probably a good option. If you have to
go out and buy a reader, they might not have the
quality they once did.

One thing I look for in a reader, is support for just one
format. In an effort to get a better quality socket on
the thing for the memory card. But that's just a personal
preference, after reading of cases where some of the
"shared socket type" devices get broken when shoving
in a mixture of card types. The sockets on the "one device
supports everything" devices is the weak part of them.

Paul