ClearType font smoothing is not working correctly

Old February 15th 09, 03:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware
Peter Olcott

Default ClearType font smoothing is not working correctly

I bought a new ViewSonic VA2226w monitor and text on the
screen appears more blurry than on my conventional aspect
ratio ViewSonic monitor. Is this because the 1680 x 1050
widescreen aspect ratio?

Old February 15th 09, 07:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware
kony

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 08:45:59 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
wrote:

I bought a new ViewSonic VA2226w monitor and text on the
screen appears more blurry than on my conventional aspect
ratio ViewSonic monitor. Is this because the 1680 x 1050
widescreen aspect ratio?

If you are using the original analog cable that came with
that monitor, it is thin, low quality and must be replaced
for optimal results even at the native 1680x1050 resolution.

At that resolution, a higher than average analog cable, or
DVI cable, needs be used to retain maximum crispness. If
you happen to be using an OS with a font-smoothing feature,
that will also increase blur on text.
Old February 15th 09, 07:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware
kony

wrote:

I bought a new ViewSonic VA2226w monitor and text on the
screen appears more blurry than on my conventional aspect
ratio ViewSonic monitor. Is this because the 1680 x 1050
widescreen aspect ratio?

If you are using an older integrated video chipset, it's
slow ramdac can also account for the problem, but primarily
it would be the original, included cable if that is what
you're using.
Old February 15th 09, 10:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware
Mike Walsh[_2_]

Peter Olcott wrote:

I bought a new ViewSonic VA2226w monitor and text on the
screen appears more blurry than on my conventional aspect
ratio ViewSonic monitor. Is this because the 1680 x 1050
widescreen aspect ratio?

No.
The image will be sharpest running at the native resolution with a digital signal input.
If you are using an analog signal check the auto adjust function.
If you are running at non native resolution you might be able to adjust the sharpness with the on screen display settings.

--
Mike Walsh
Old February 16th 09, 09:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware
copihaus

Peter Olcott wrote:
I bought a new ViewSonic VA2226w monitor and text on the
screen appears more blurry than on my conventional aspect
ratio ViewSonic monitor. Is this because the 1680 x 1050
widescreen aspect ratio?

What GPU are you using? Have you got the latest drivers for your GPU?
Did you install the drivers for that monitor?
Have you checked the refresh rate on the display properties?
Are you using digital or analog cables?
Old February 16th 09, 10:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware
kony

wrote:

I bought a new ViewSonic VA2226w monitor and text on the
screen appears more blurry than on my conventional aspect
ratio ViewSonic monitor. Is this because the 1680 x 1050
widescreen aspect ratio?

I seem to have overlooked your topic title previously.

You wrote "ClearType font smoothing is not working
correctly", then you described the text being more blurry.

The purpose of ClearType is to make text blurry! If you
don't want blurry text, disable ClearType. Some claim it
makes text more readable, and that can be true because what
it does is takes a small thin line and makes it wider and
more smooth through that blurring.

ClearType can be adjusted if you want less of an effect but
don't want it completely disabled.

Online Tuner -
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...ner/step1.aspx

Offline Tuner -
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...ePowerToy.mspx

I vaguely recall seeing a different offline tuner somewhere,
but either of these is a good start.
Old February 17th 09, 11:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware
Peter Olcott

I don't think that this is the issue, at least the symptoms
are not consistent with this being the issue. On some things
ClearType font smoothing is working perfectly, on other
things black text is appearing with red edges. I know how
ClearType works, (sub pixel rendering) but, in the past
black text always appeared to the naked eye as being purely
black.

Using an inferior connection cable would seem to produce a
signal strength problem, and the actual case appears to be a
(sub pixel rendering) pixel alignment problem. Issues such
as this would seem to be related to the unconventional
aspect ratio. If (for example) the display data is
graphically stretched (after it was rendered) to accommodate
the wider screen, this would be expected to cause the
precise problem that I am having.

I have another ViewSonic monitor that has no problem at all
using the out-of-the-box cable.

Old February 17th 09, 05:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 04:47:44 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
wrote:

[...]

As others have written, you need to make sure the display
adapter is using the monitor's native resolution.

You should also try the auto-adjust feature on the monitor's
menus, through it's OSD.

Otherwise, consider just trying a different cord...
considering I have one of these monitors and the original
cord did cause problems while a different analog cord came
much closer to what would've been easily accomplished with
DVI instead.
Old September 19th 10, 11:39 AM
Scorpion king Scorpion king is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kony View Post
wrote:

[...]

ClearType font smoothing is not working correctly Peter Olcott General 9 February 17th 09 07:31 PM
Logitech mouse not working correctly? [email protected] General 3 October 17th 05 08:25 AM
Font smoothing John Nvidia Videocards 4 August 29th 05 09:12 PM
smoothing not working when ATI driver installed. HELP ME PLEASE! OVS Ati Videocards 3 October 9th 04 01:38 PM
i.e. still not working correctly j.lef Gateway Computers 8 February 26th 04 03:31 PM