8800 GTX or not?

Old January 7th 07, 10:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default 8800 GTX or not?

Hi,
I've been thinking about upgrading my video card...
The top card today is the 8800GTX (Money is not an issue), I looked at
how it preforms on http://www.tomshardware.com/ and even at 2560x1600,
4x AA, 4x AF, Doom 3 the results are 60fps!!!
it's working very well... too well...

BUT, who uses this resolution??? and LCD monitors don't even support
that high resolutions...
at 1024x768, 4x AA, 4x AF, Doom 3 the results are 210fps

So why sould anyone buy this card? no one needs 210 fps! you'r brain
can't consive more than 30 fps...

Thanks
Gil

Old January 7th 07, 11:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
goPostal

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I've been thinking about upgrading my video card...
The top card today is the 8800GTX (Money is not an issue), I looked at
how it preforms on http://www.tomshardware.com/ and even at 2560x1600,
4x AA, 4x AF, Doom 3 the results are 60fps!!!
it's working very well... too well...

BUT, who uses this resolution??? and LCD monitors don't even support
that high resolutions...
at 1024x768, 4x AA, 4x AF, Doom 3 the results are 210fps

So why sould anyone buy this card? no one needs 210 fps! you'r brain
can't consive more than 30 fps...

Thanks
Gil

This is an old arguement and you are wrong. Your brain can see much faster
refresh than that. I'll post a few links in the morning about it.

Old January 7th 07, 01:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Franky

I've been thinking about upgrading my video card...
The top card today is the 8800GTX (Money is not an issue), I looked at
how it preforms on http://www.tomshardware.com/ and even at 2560x1600,
4x AA, 4x AF, Doom 3 the results are 60fps!!!
it's working very well... too well...

try it in Oblivion..or Rainbow Six Vegas..a card can never run too
well..wait till
Crysis is released

BUT, who uses this resolution??? and LCD monitors don't even support
that high resolutions...

The 30" ones do. If you are running a Triplehead2Go system, the more power
the better

Old January 7th 07, 02:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Cameron Walsh

wrote:
Hi,
I've been thinking about upgrading my video card...
The top card today is the 8800GTX (Money is not an issue), I looked at
how it preforms on
http://www.tomshardware.com/ and even at 2560x1600,
4x AA, 4x AF, Doom 3 the results are 60fps!!!
it's working very well... too well...

Doom 3 is old and was more of a tech demo than a game worth playing.
Try Oblivion, F.E.A.R, etc. for more technically impressive and
interesting games.

Reading the article
(http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/08/geforce_8800/ ?) I see F.E.A.R.
gets about 80fps at 1600x1200 with 4xAA and 8xAF. Most 19" CRTs can do
that resolution, and an average of 80fps means that even during intense
action scenes it shouldn't drop below a very playable 50fps.

As for Oblivion, ouch, only the GTX version can get above even 30fps (at
1600x1200 with max settings.) If the card struggles with current games,
that suggests to me that it is likely to struggle with next week's games
even more. People would buy a card like that in order to get the most
out of the games they play now and to be able to play future games at
acceptable frame rates.

BUT, who uses this resolution??? and LCD monitors don't even support
that high resolutions...

My 17" laptop screen has a native resolution of 1920x1200, larger
monitors will go higher (if, as you say, money is not an issue...)

at 1024x768, 4x AA, 4x AF, Doom 3 the results are 210fps

So why sould anyone buy this card? no one needs 210 fps! you'r brain
can't consive more than 30 fps...

The following articles would argue otherwise, as would I. 210 fps is
excessive, yes, but 30fps is far too low.

http://www.daniele.ch/school/30vs60/30vs60_3.html explains it vaguely,
http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html explains exactly why monitors suck at
60Hz, and a bit of the differences between refresh rates and frame rates.
http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_5.html explains in more readable
language why some game types play better with high frame rates etc.

In the end, if money is not an issue, why not get three cards, run two
in SLI and send one to me?

Hope that clarifies things,

Cameron.
Old January 7th 07, 04:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Dell 30" LCD, prices start at $1200 (money is not an issue, right?):
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=222-0863

As for the 30 fps debate, there are papers written on it, as Cameron pointed
out. A quick and simple test you can do yourself, if you have Quake 3
installed, is to cap the in-game framerate and see what happens.

Type "com_maxfps 30" to cap it at 30 fps. Wiggle the mouse and move around a
bit. Then type "com_maxfps 60" and go through the same motions. You should
notice a big difference in fluidity. 30 fps is the *bare minimum* for a
human to perceive smooth motion. The eyes can however appreciate a faster
framerate, because in-game movements are much faster than real-life
movements.

Old January 7th 07, 06:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Wax

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I've been thinking about upgrading my video card...
The top card today is the 8800GTX (Money is not an issue), I looked at
how it preforms on http://www.tomshardware.com/ and even at 2560x1600,
4x AA, 4x AF, Doom 3 the results are 60fps!!!
it's working very well... too well...

BUT, who uses this resolution??? and LCD monitors don't even support
that high resolutions...
at 1024x768, 4x AA, 4x AF, Doom 3 the results are 210fps

So why sould anyone buy this card? no one needs 210 fps! you'r brain
can't consive more than 30 fps...

Thanks
Gil

Re-read your post. I think you've answered your own question.

Old January 8th 07, 12:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW

I've got news for you. Soon this year manufacturers will begin releasing DX
10 based video games that will severely test even that high end 8800 GTX
card. Doom 3 is old technology (DX 9). And, 24" wide-view LCD's use 1900 x
1200 resolution. You are thinking in terms of old technology.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old January 8th 07, 07:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Claude Leclerc

Look here for nice setup that uses all of the 8800GTX power, then mo

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/

On my TH2G setup I though about a 2nd 8800GTX but $$$ and some common sense
stopped me ;-).

Old January 9th 07, 09:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
jadavis01

What everyone else said, and something much more imporatant than any of
those replies as to why buy a 800GTX....bragging rights

Old January 10th 07, 11:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
adr

Half life 2 with all setting set to max is as good as this generation of
games will offer. The next generation games will support DX10 which, if
written gleverly, will blow your mind. The GF 8800 GTX is the only card on
the market that can resolve new generation games at enhanced resolutions