Where do I stang legaly with faulty goods I hve?

Old April 12th 06, 02:44 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Default Where do I stang legaly with faulty goods I hve?

I purchased a Pocket PC (Mio-168) Online.

Used my credit card

I have had the item under 2 weeks and it is starting to play up.

I contacted the vendor and they said that under their T&C after 14days I
have to send it back to the manufacturer.

I'm pretty sure this is not the case, as I have my statuary rights (1YR From
the seller)

Could someone confirm where I stand.

With Thanks

Mike

Old April 12th 06, 05:04 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

"Mikey" wrote in message
I purchased a Pocket PC (Mio-168) Online.

Used my credit card

I have had the item under 2 weeks and it is starting to play up.

I contacted the vendor and they said that under their T&C after 14days I
have to send it back to the manufacturer.

I'm pretty sure this is not the case, as I have my statuary rights (1YR
From the seller)

Could someone confirm where I stand.

With Thanks

Mike

Under the sale of goods act your contract is with the seller (retailer), not
the manufacturer (see
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/fa...legoodsact.htm Q6). I had a
similar problem with a product I bought that went defective within 30 days.
I took advice from trading standards online
http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/ and they sent me two draft letters, one to
send to the seller and one to send to my credit card company.

The vendors terms and conditions cannot over ride the sale of goods act. It
is worth bringing this to the attention of trading standards.

Main contents of the letter was basically giving them 14 days to replace,
repair or refund else the matter would be pursued through the small claims
court (send to seller recorded delivery).

I had a replacement couriered to me and the defective one collected within 7
days.

The seller I had a problem with was BT Shops who I don't mind naming and
shaming because their attitude was abysmal and I will never have anything to
do with them again.

Old April 12th 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

"Tony" wrote in message
.com...

"Mikey" wrote in message
I purchased a Pocket PC (Mio-168) Online.

Used my credit card

I have had the item under 2 weeks and it is starting to play up.

I contacted the vendor and they said that under their T&C after 14days I
have to send it back to the manufacturer.

I'm pretty sure this is not the case, as I have my statuary rights (1YR
From the seller)

[...]

but If you bought it from a trade outlet rather then a retailer Then SOGA
does not apply

Old April 12th 06, 08:26 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

It was from a retail outlet.

They also have a showroom.

Thanks for the link, I will send a mail now.

Mikey

"Trev" trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM wrote in message

"Tony" wrote in message
.com...

"Mikey" wrote in message
I purchased a Pocket PC (Mio-168) Online.

Used my credit card

I have had the item under 2 weeks and it is starting to play up.

I contacted the vendor and they said that under their T&C after 14days I
have to send it back to the manufacturer.

I'm pretty sure this is not the case, as I have my statuary rights (1YR
From the seller)

Old April 13th 06, 12:41 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

"Trev" trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM wrote in
:

but If you bought it from a trade outlet rather then a retailer
Then SOGA does not apply

The contract is still between purchaser and vendor.
Old April 13th 06, 02:05 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Mikey wrote:
I purchased a Pocket PC (Mio-168) Online.

Used my credit card

I have had the item under 2 weeks and it is starting to play up.

I contacted the vendor and they said that under their T&C after
14days I have to send it back to the manufacturer.

Well I`m in a similar situation now as that TV I had delivered yesterday by
Parcelforce from dabs.com started playing up again and the vertical line
which appeared the first time I turned on the TV has become permanent along
with another one next to it http://nicklelievre.redirectme.net/faultyTV.jpg
its funny but the face on the TV is nearly as ugly as the fault itself.
Kinda somes up how I feel - I could do with a free bottle of wine from David
Athertons wine but it wouldn't be much of a kind gesture right now lol

dabs.com customer service emailed me last night to say they couldn't price
match the repaired TV to the price they were doing for on March 17th and
would I wish to procede with a refund I guess this is becuase they had to
take into account the cost of collection and return to manufacturer + when
they realised they could sell repaired ones (as they sold 8 at the reduced
price) it didn't make business sense. They weren't aware that I'd actually
recieved the TV and were replying to my query due to the Parcelforce/Customs
delay.

So now I have emailed them asking how they wish to proceed next I would
obviously prefer to avoid another delay and would like the repaired TV at
the price they are doing for now if they match the warranty to the TV I just
paid full price for and if they are not prepared to do this price match it
to the lower price they initially refused and provide the 90 day warranty.
Alternatively collect the TV and refund... I`m not really bothered if the TV
is repaired as long as it works and I have the warranty I paid for.

--
Jersey, Channel Islands
http://nicklelievre.redirectme.net

Old April 13th 06, 02:41 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Mikey wrote:
[...]

They may email me back to say that if my TV is repaired it will only have a
90 day warranty with them in which case I would of been better to purchase
the repaired one when I had the chance and saved the £ 5. If I`m not happy
with this will probably just collect the TV and provide a refund. Seeing as
they are going to lose on this deal anyway I think there are times when
money isn't the most important thing but I can see how in this situation
they could lose many customers. They haven't replied to any of my latest
emails yet which would frustrate even the most hard core dabs.com customer
but its an honest service and none of this is really they're fault its not
mine either unless you blame me for buying a TV this cheap but I bought a
new one so hoped to avoid just this problem (seeing as the other new one I
got worked).

--
Jersey, Channel Islands

Old April 13th 06, 03:15 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Mikey wrote:
[...]

I just received a RMA from dabs.com to pick it up at the earliers available
date Tuesday 18th April so I guess they will refund the return delivery
costs if charged to my credit card and that will be the end of it. On a side
note does anyone if I can transfer a credit on my credit card balance back
into my band account as I paid my credit card bill online yesterday when I
thought the TV was ok.

I`m tempted to blow a few hundred more on the Acer 32" HDTV - anychance of a
sizeable discount ? It would save me having to transfer the credit from my
card when I have it.

--
Jersey, Channel Islands

Old April 13th 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:44:34 GMT, "Mikey" wrote:

I purchased a Pocket PC (Mio-168) Online.

Used my credit card

I have had the item under 2 weeks and it is starting to play up.

I contacted the vendor and they said that under their T&C after 14days I
have to send it back to the manufacturer.

I'm pretty sure this is not the case, as I have my statuary rights (1YR From
the seller)

Could someone confirm where I stand.

With Thanks

Mike

Legally, it is entirely the retailer's responsibility. Occasionally,
and particularly with physically large items, it can be faster to deal
with the manufacturer. That doesn't apply in your case - your retailer
should do a straight swap for your faulty one and cover his
out-of-pocket costs with *his* supplier.

Regards,
vj
Old April 13th 06, 05:06 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:

I`m tempted to blow a few hundred more on the Acer 32" HDTV -
anychance of a sizeable discount ? It would save me having to
transfer the credit from my card when I have it.

Checked dabs.com price list of Televisions in ascending order and discovered
they had a used Acer 32" HDTV with a cracked speaker for £ 438 ex VAT
delivered so I have placed that on order. Pretty good deal seeing as the
cheapest 32" HDTV on eBay tend to have similar faults and cost about £ 400
delivered http://tinyurl.com/lqlbd and most of the other reasonable deals in
perfect condition cost quite a bit more and are collection only + I would
rather deal with dabs.com as I know they are honest just hope
Parcelfarce/Customs don't delay it this time. Now it would be nice if
dabs.com would reduce the delivery charge to £ 10 (as it was a free delivery
weekend when I bought my Conrac) and everything would be sweet Sales Order
7587115 if interested.

--
Jersey, Channel Islands