Resolution, Aspect Ratio and Monitor Scaling.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 19th 16, 05:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.graphics.algorithms,comp.graphics.opengl,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default Resolution, Aspect Ratio and Monitor Scaling.

Hello,

My HP 2335 monitor has a default/native/max resolution of 1920 x 1200 so I
assume it's aspect ratio is 1920/1200 = 1.6 so 16 to 10 ? 16:10 ?

The monitor has "image control-custom scaling" build in with the following

1. Fill to screen

2. Fill to Aspect Ratio

3. One to One

Strange thing is when I set games to:

1280x960 and the monitor to fill to screen, only then does it fill the
entire screen.

However 1280x960 has a different aspect ratio: 1.333 ?

If I try another resolution which does have the same aspect ratio as my
screen it does not fill entirely ?! For example:

1280x800 this will produce black bars on top and on the bottom ?!

How can this be ?!

I don't understand this ?!?

Am I wrong somewhere concerning how aspect ratios work/are calculated ???

Bye,
Skybuck.