Pentium 4 overclocking

Old July 27th 03, 07:05 PM
Dennis Strausser Jr

Default Pentium 4 overclocking

Denny, me. I found most of my problem. All this time I thought I had Dual
Channel DDR Ram and I only have single channel.
I guess it's time I look to upgrade the ram to Dual Channel DDR Ram.
P4 2.4b (533 Mhz Fsb) @ 2.89Ghz Can't go much further, and I think the ram
is holding me back from a higher and more stable overclock.
My board is almost top of the line, a Gigabyte. To all who know this board,
Gigabyte calls this board the 6-Dual Miracle.
Denny.

Old July 27th 03, 11:28 PM
Phil Weldon

There are no "Dual Channel" DDR RAM modules; the motherboard must support
"Dual Channel" DDR RAM, then ordinary DDR RAM modules must be installed in
identical pairs. Some memory vendors sell "matched pairs", but that is not
strictly necessary as long as the modules are the same type.

It is likely to be more difficult to push memory speed with dual channel DDR
RAM because two modules at a time must be stable at the same time.

Just guessing, since you don't say what the rated speed and manufacturer for
your memory modules, but I'd it may not be your memory stopping you at 2.89
GHz.

Phil Weldon,

Old July 28th 03, 03:22 AM
Dennis Strausser Jr

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
There are no "Dual Channel" DDR RAM modules; the motherboard must support
"Dual Channel" DDR RAM, then ordinary DDR RAM modules must be installed in
identical pairs. Some memory vendors sell "matched pairs", but that is

not
strictly necessary as long as the modules are the same type.

Gigabyte calls this board the 6-Dual Miracle. Gigabyte Titan GA-81G 1000
Pro
Board can take either 533 Fsb or 800 Fsb, either way it's a great board.
I have a P4 2.4b 533 Fsb
Only if you have two of the same?(Ram) Sounds right to me. At least were out
of the 386 and 486 day and age.
I remember having to put four sticks of memory into a 386 just to get to
8Mb, and and 8 of those darn things just to get 16Mbytes.
Wow!! That seemed like a lot of ram. Windows Xp wouldn't even install
on that small amount of ram.
Then when the 486 came out, it was like, WOW!!! 66Mhz And the new 72Pin
Simms needs two to work.
But depending on motherboard, and if your using on-board Video. You have
to have matching ram, or you won't get a boot-up screen/or bios.
If I remember right, you won't even get a post if your ram don't match.

It is likely to be more difficult to push memory speed with dual channel

DDR
RAM because two modules at a time must be stable at the same time.

Just guessing, since you don't say what the rated speed and manufacturer

for
your memory modules, but I'd it may not be your memory stopping you at

2.89
Sorry bout that.. 333Mhz manufacturer? Hmm? Not sure.
But I'm learning higher brand names are a good Idea. Should have known,
Dah on me.

Phil Weldon,

"Dennis Strausser Jr" wrote in message
Denny, me. I found most of my problem. All this time I thought I had

Dual
Channel DDR Ram and I only have single channel.
I guess it's time I look to upgrade the ram to Dual Channel DDR Ram.
P4 2.4b (533 Mhz Fsb) @ 2.89Ghz Can't go much further, and I think the

ram
is holding me back from a higher and more stable overclock.
My board is almost top of the line, a Gigabyte. To all who know this

board,
Gigabyte calls this board the 6-Dual Miracle.
Denny. Z Pokémon lover..... (Raichu Mouse Pokémon.)

Old July 29th 03, 09:02 AM
David Maynard

Dennis Strausser Jr wrote:
"Phil Weldon" wrote in message

There are no "Dual Channel" DDR RAM modules; the motherboard must support
"Dual Channel" DDR RAM, then ordinary DDR RAM modules must be installed in
identical pairs. Some memory vendors sell "matched pairs", but that is

not

strictly necessary as long as the modules are the same type.

Gigabyte calls this board the 6-Dual Miracle. Gigabyte Titan GA-81G 1000
Pro
Board can take either 533 Fsb or 800 Fsb, either way it's a great board.
I have a P4 2.4b 533 Fsb
Only if you have two of the same?(Ram) Sounds right to me. At least were out
of the 386 and 486 day and age.
I remember having to put four sticks of memory into a 386 just to get to
8Mb, and and 8 of those darn things just to get 16Mbytes.

True for 2 meg SIMMS. However, they did make 4 meg, 8 meg, and even 16 Meg SIMMS
as well (and 1 meg SIMMS and 256K SIMMS).

As incredible as it may seem, considering it was Windows 3.1 days, my pre-PCI
"Local Bus" 486 motherboard could take up to 128 Meg.

Wow!! That seemed like a lot of ram. Windows Xp wouldn't even install
on that small amount of ram.
Then when the 486 came out, it was like, WOW!!! 66Mhz And the new 72Pin
Simms needs two to work.

For the historical record, 486s only needed one 72 pin SIMM. It's the Pentium
class that took two.

But depending on motherboard, and if your using on-board Video. You have
to have matching ram, or you won't get a boot-up screen/or bios.
If I remember right, you won't even get a post if your ram don't match.

That's what 'they' say but I run unmatched SIMMS (same type, of course) all the
time.

snip