IC7 Slow RAID 0.

Old July 26th 03, 12:45 AM
TomG

Default IC7 Slow RAID 0.

I don't like those messages you are getting from the IAA... almost sounds
like a mismatch between versions of the raid driver and the IAA or something
like that...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 115,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Alastair Grant" wrote in message
My computer is taking a stupid amount of time to resume from
hibernation. I have a RAID-0 setup and have tried Windows 2000 and
Windows XP. Both are fairly speedy at hibernating, just not resuming.

My setup is as follows:
Abit IC7.
x2 Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA drives.
512MB CL2.0 OCZ Tech PC3200 RAM (single module).
Pentium 4 2.4GHz (533MHz FSB, no HT).

I am using the Intel RAID controller to stripe my drives, which you
would think should be very fast. The harsh truth is, it's slower than
my UDMA33 drive on my laptop at resuming. Standard I/O speeds while in
Windows are fast, and I get no buffering problems.

I have Intel Application Accelerator 3.5 for Windows 2000 installed, as
well as the Intel INF update and Chipset drivers. Although, when I run
IAA I get this message:

quote
The features supported by the system BIOS do not match the features
supported by this application.

Some features may be disabled for compatibility.

For full feature support, please update your system BIOS and install a
new version of the Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition. Contact
the motherboard manufacturer or place of purchase for assistance in
updating the system BIOS.
/quote

I am running the latest BIOS firmware (ID: 15), and I have the latest
drivers and so on from the Intel web site. I have also tried different
drives.

I'm tempted to go back to my BL7-RAID with IDE-RAID, swift resume.

Could anybody confirm they have the same issues, or point me towards a
solution if known.

I don't know if this is related, but Windows 2000 pauses for a few
seconds when booting up, something which I fixed on my old system (845
chipset IIRC) by installing INF drivers and IAA, alas this is still
happening on my IC7.

Regards,

Alastair.

--
http://www.wireplay.co.uk/
http://www.aligrant.com/

"It's a scientific fact that if you shave your
moustache, you weaken your eyes"
- William Murray 1932

Old July 27th 03, 05:20 AM
John Lewis

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:11:36 +0100, Alastair Grant wrote:

[...]

True.

AFAIK, all IC7 BIOS thru V1.5 do not have the features
required by IAA3.5.

Use the IAA and floppy drivers supplied with your IC7
and all will be better ---- for the time being..

Come back and try again when Abit get around in their
own sweet time to getting the BIOS updated for IAA3.5.

You may need a new F6 driver install at that time too. I
am not sure that the V3.5 drivers can be directly installed
over the original. See the Intel revision documentation,
which should reveal all necessary steps in going
from 3.0.x to 3.5.

John Lewis

Old July 27th 03, 05:34 AM
R. J. Salvi

Have you jumpered the drives as Cable Select? If not, try it.

Also, be sure you did not install IAA 2.3.

--
Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
http://www.ambianceacoustics.com

"Alastair Grant" wrote in message
.. .
Indeed it does, but as far as I can tell it is all correct.

Nobody else got this problem?

Old July 27th 03, 01:19 PM
TomG

I didn't realize that the newest Abit bios was not in line with the newest
IAA... good to know...

Old July 31st 03, 09:39 AM
John Lewis

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:16:00 +0100, Alastair Grant wrote:

I'll try that, thanks.

John Lewis wrote:
AFAIK, all IC7 BIOS thru V1.5 do not have the features
required by IAA3.5.

Use the IAA and floppy drivers supplied with your IC7
and all will be better ---- for the time being..

Come back and try again when Abit get around in their
own sweet time to getting the BIOS updated for IAA3.5.

You may need a new F6 driver install at that time too. I
am not sure that the V3.5 drivers can be directly installed
over the original. See the Intel revision documentation,
which should reveal all necessary steps in going
from 3.0.x to 3.5.

John Lewis

BIOS V1.6 has just been released which now supports
RAID1 on the ICH5R, at least according to the docs.

http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bi...ries=1&model=4

John Lewis

Old August 3rd 03, 02:11 PM
TomG

I'd like to believe that but some of the folks posting with that issue have
experience with the board...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 115,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Patrick Mc" wrote in message
I think some of the problem with seeing the existing raid 0 after flashing
the bios is people are not correctly resetting the bios.

Patrick
"TomG" wrote in message
newsIcWa.289$ih.60@lakeread02...
hopefully folks are not having a problem seeing their existing raid 0

after
1.6 is applied...

Old August 11th 03, 10:38 PM
Alastair Grant

I have been away, I've just flashed my BIOS and the problem still
persists, but I haven't had time to reinstall any drivers or such.

TomG wrote:
I'd like to believe that but some of the folks posting with that issue have
experience with the board...

--
http://www.wireplay.co.uk/
http://www.aligrant.com/

"It's a scientific fact that if you shave your
moustache, you weaken your eyes"
- William Murray 1932

How I built a 2.8TB RAID storage array Yeechang Lee Homebuilt PC's 31 February 22nd 05 06:40 PM
RAID 0 problems no spam Homebuilt PC's 0 April 30th 04 06:18 PM
Incompatible RAID controller? @drian Homebuilt PC's 11 November 17th 03 04:38 AM
Incompatible RAID controller? @drian General 1 November 9th 03 07:38 PM
help. ga-7vrxp raid trouble, compatability and warning todd elliott General 0 July 17th 03 06:50 PM