Poor Image Quality With DVI-VGA converter

Old June 1st 08, 04:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default Poor Image Quality With DVI-VGA converter

Hello guys, i just bought two new 22" 1680x1050 resolution ASUS LCD
screens (vw222s). They only have VGA inputs, no dvi. I use an NVIDIA
8600GT 1gb graphics card with the latest drivers. Running vista 64bit.

The graphics card has 2 outputs, a VGA and a DVI. The problem i have
is with the DVI output. I use a dvi-vga converter to connect to my VGA
input on my new screen. The image quality is A LOT less sharp than the
straight VGA output from my graphics card to the VGA input of my new
screens. Also the dvi-vga connected monitor producess small errors
here and there.

I have already tried a second similar DVI-VGA converter, but both give
the same bad results Because i have two screens next to each other,
and both using different outputs of the GPU i really notice the
difference. Before i had two 19" LG's, and with those screens i never
noticed any difference.

What could cause this, and how can i resolve this?

I hope you guys can help.

Thanks very much!
Old June 2nd 08, 11:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_5_]

I personally would never buy a digitally based LCD monitor that only offers
analog VGA inputs. You are wasting your video card's potentially temendous
image quality and resolution.
--
--DaveW

Old June 4th 08, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Sometimes the analog DAC on either output is really super ****ty. It
usually happens with cheaper cards, but in this case it's exacerbated by
the poor quality analog conversion happening on your LCD. Certain LCD's
convert analog signals better than others; it's literally a
digital-to-analog-to-digital conversion process and involves
interpolating adjacent pixels to produce the final color. The analog
pass through on your DVI port is probably not the best to begin with, or
you have a poorly shielded DVI adapter (which is a known problem with
VGA connectors in general).
Old June 4th 08, 05:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

On Jun 4, 2:09*am, deimos deimos@localhost wrote:
wrote:
[...]

VGA connectors in general).- Hide quoted text -

The problem was the graphics card, when i changed it for an older
nvidia one. 6800GS, both screens worked perfectly.

Thanks for the help anyways.
Old June 4th 08, 05:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

wrote:
[...]

Do you know what a DAC is and how it impacts image quality?

I'd say deimos was accurate in calling the bad DAC, since you are using
the same panel and cables, but have now acceptable IQ on a "lesser" card.