Computer won't boot

Old October 2nd 03, 10:48 AM
ArchNacho

Default Computer won't boot

In short, my problem is that my computer won't boot when I connect my S-ATA
HDD. I've been using the disk, along with to standard IDE drives for several
months without any problems, but suddenly, after I removed my floppy drive
(with quite a bit of effort, due to the terrible design of the cabinet) the
computer simply wouldn't boot. If I disconnect the S-ATA drive (from the
power) the computer boots. Disconnecting anything else has no effect at all.
Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? Is it possibly to fry
one wire without frying the whole PSU? Could the disk itself be fubar?

Old October 2nd 03, 03:49 PM
Phrederik

"ArchNacho" wrote in message
In short, my problem is that my computer won't boot when I connect my

S-ATA
HDD. I've been using the disk, along with to standard IDE drives for

several
months without any problems, but suddenly, after I removed my floppy drive
(with quite a bit of effort, due to the terrible design of the cabinet)

the
computer simply wouldn't boot. If I disconnect the S-ATA drive (from the
power) the computer boots. Disconnecting anything else has no effect at

all.
Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? Is it possibly to fry
one wire without frying the whole PSU? Could the disk itself be fubar?

Could be anything really, but I'd start looking for mechanical reasons
first...

- Extra standoff that wasn't touching until you disturbed the mainboard
- Damaged pin on one of the connectors
- Did you plug one of the IDE cables (not SATA) upside down?

....that kind of stuff.

Old October 3rd 03, 02:20 AM
ArchNacho

"Phrederik" wrote in message
"ArchNacho" wrote in message
[...]

Uhm, what does that mean, exactly?

- Damaged pin on one of the connectors

Not that I can tell, no. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't notice
unless it's pretty obvious.

- Did you plug one of the IDE cables (not SATA) upside down?

Pretty sure I didn't, yes. Would the disks even work properly if I'd done
that?

Old October 3rd 03, 05:37 PM
Phrederik

"ArchNacho" wrote in message
[...]

Actually I didn't read carefully enough...The PC does boot until there is
power on the SATA drives, so I doubt that anything I suggested is very
relevant.

At this point only two things come to mind... Bad cables or bad drives.

Old October 4th 03, 11:19 AM
ArchNacho

"Trent©" wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 09:48:25 GMT, "ArchNacho"
wrote:

In short, my problem is that my computer won't boot when I connect my

S-ATA
HDD. I've been using the disk, along with to standard IDE drives for

several
months without any problems, but suddenly, after I removed my floppy

drive
(with quite a bit of effort, due to the terrible design of the cabinet)

the
computer simply wouldn't boot.

'Boot' is an ambiguous word. What exactly are you trying to say?
When you connect the sata and turn on the computer, you get no power
to anything?...or you get no cursor at all?...or?

What I mean is that nothing at all happens when I push the power button.

If I disconnect the S-ATA drive (from the
power) the computer boots.

Boots into the BIOS screen?...boots all the way into the operating
system?

All the way into OS. Works perfectly in every way, except I'm one disk (with
just about all my stuff) short.

Disconnecting anything else has no effect at all.
Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? Is it possibly to

fry
one wire without frying the whole PSU? Could the disk itself be fubar?

What's the boot sequence in the BIOS?

The problem isn't that the disk isn't detected, there's simply no power to
anything as long as it's connected, but if this is still relevant the boot
sequence is CD-ROM, floppy, IDE disk. Or possibly the floppy was last, or
not in there at all. Let me know if it's still important and I'll check.

Old October 4th 03, 05:24 PM
ArchNacho

"Trent©" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 10:19:18 GMT, "ArchNacho"
wrote:

'Boot' is an ambiguous word. What exactly are you trying to say?
When you connect the sata and turn on the computer, you get no power
to anything?...or you get no cursor at all?...or?

What I mean is that nothing at all happens when I push the power button.

If you get absolutely no power when you connect the sata, then you
have a dead short in the wiring of the drive...which is keeping it
from turning on the machine. This is not a common problem...but it
does happen. Its usually the result of a lightening strike.

Take the drive back and get a replacement. At the very least, check
it out on another machine...or have a tech shop do it for you.

A friend tried it on another computer and got the same problem. Isn't there
any way to fix it, so I can save the data on the disk as well?