Cannot Instal Windows 64

Old October 26th 07, 09:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Roger Hamlett

Default Cannot Instal Windows 64

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 01:06:25 GMT, wrote:

On 24-Oct-2007, Outback Jon wrote:

Are you overclocking at all

Thanks for the reply. No, I am not overclocking.Yes, a sata drive is my
boot drive, but I was under the impression that this mobo (with the Nvidia
chipset) loaded sata drivers from bios. Yeah, getting sata drivers installed
from floppy would be real difficult, seeing as I don't have a floppy drive
installed. At either rate it installs 32 bit xp just fine, seeing the sata'
(without me having to install drivers)

And, this is a dual core cpu .... AMD64 4200+

Vista64, can be a bit 'odd' about it's installation. I had almost
identical behaviour on a motherboard from another manufacturer. This
has two SATA ports directly from the chipset, and four from a second
controller. Installing XP, went fine, with the HD connected to the
chipset SATA port, but Vista64 hung just after the first reboot. In
desperation, while trying everything else, I moved the SATA onto the
secondary controller, and enabled it's BIOS, so that it'd stuill be
seen as a 'boot' devices. Vista64, then installed fine!.
I appeared that it was 'seeing' the second controller, and insisting
on trying to access a drive on this, 'ahead' of the one on the
motherboard chipset...

Best Wishes
Old October 26th 07, 02:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

On 26-Oct-2007, Roger Hamlett wrote:

Vista64, can be a bit 'odd' about it's installation.

It probably doesnt matter, but this is not Vista64 ... regular old
Windows XP Pro,
X64 Edition.

When I start the Win64 cd, it immediately goes to "Setup is copying files"
Is there any way, I can at least see what, if any, hard drives it is seeing?
Because I get no choice/prompts of what drive/partition to choose from for
the installation. Nor do I get the screen, to choose "install Windows" or
"Repair
an installation" like I get when I install 32bit XP.

My drives config is:
Primaey IDE: Master - Pioneer dvdrw
Seconday - Pioneer dvdrw

Second IDE: Master - (the one ide hard drive on my system)
Secondary - None

Sata 1 - sata hd
sata 2 - sata hd
Sata 3 - Sata HD
Sata 4 - None
(I beleive those 3 are on the Nvidia controller)

Then 2 more Sata drives on the Promise controller in a jbod config)
Old November 4th 07, 04:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

On 3-Nov-2007, Outback Jon wrote:

Use your arrow keys to select the drive you with to have boot first,
then use the + or - key to move the drive up or down the list.

Yeah, the drive order I wanted, is set in that section.

I guess that win 64 is just gonna be a no go on this system.
I still suspect it is a chipset driver issue (Nvidia) ...as I have no
floppy drive, impossible for me to select "F6 for 3rd party..." during
install. But I'd still think, it would at least see the one ide drive
I have installled, Unless I can find a way to slipstream this win 64
cd, I guess Win XP 64 is gonna be a bust on this system.
Old November 4th 07, 10:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Outback Jon

wrote:
On 3-Nov-2007, Outback Jon wrote:

Use your arrow keys to select the drive you with to have boot first,
then use the + or - key to move the drive up or down the list.

Yeah, the drive order I wanted, is set in that section.

I guess that win 64 is just gonna be a no go on this system.
I still suspect it is a chipset driver issue (Nvidia) ...as I have no
floppy drive, impossible for me to select "F6 for 3rd party..." during
install. But I'd still think, it would at least see the one ide drive
I have installled, Unless I can find a way to slipstream this win 64
cd, I guess Win XP 64 is gonna be a bust on this system.

Or pick up a cheap floppy. Or temporarily pull one out of another
computer. You only need it until the install is done.

I'm running XP64 on an A8N-SLI Premium. But I did have the floppy to
work with.

For slipstreaming, try nLite.
http://www.nliteos.com/index.html
I made a nice bootable XP CD (haven't tried it with x64 yet)
I did find that I couldn't slipstream *both* SATA drivers into the CD.
I might have been doing something wrong though. I thought I had done
both, but when I got tried using it, it only had one of the SATA drivers
set up.

Also, I have no experience with it, but I have heard that it might be
possible to use a USB thumb drive in place of the floppy. Can't even
point you in the right direction for that one though.

--
"Outback" Jon - KC2BNE

AMD Opteron 146 ) and 6.1 GHz of other AMD power...
http://folding.stanford.edu - got folding? Team 53560

2006 ZG1000A Concours "Blueline" COG# 7385 CDA# 0157
1980 CB750F SuperSport == For Sale $1200