If you print from Windows 10 to your LAN networked printer - have you also printed from Android? How?

Old November 23rd 20, 08:14 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
Arlen Holder

Default If you print from Windows 10 to your LAN networked printer - have you also printed from Android? How?

I need help with printing to a printer that Windows 10 has no problem
printing to, where I ask here in the hope someone here solved the problem.

If you haven't already solved the problem, then I don't ask you for how.
o I only want you to go to the trouble to respond if you already solved it!

Mostly because it's only partially related to Windows, in that Windows 10
prints fine to this HP LJ 2100 over the LAN so why can't Android also?

Maybe I can make use of some "Windows 10 magic" (somehow) to print to it
from the mobile device, which is also on the same subnet as Windows 10 is?

Anyway, this is the original thread with all the current details:
o How do you print from Android to your home networked printer on your LAN?
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/nTAYljkvVl4

Notice that a lot of the details depend on _how_ the printer is on the LAN
a. Either via USB via Windows,
b. Or for newer printers via Ethernet, or,
c. For even newer printers, via Wi-Fi, or,
d. Perhaps for even newer printers, via "Wi-Fi Direct", whatever that is.

Have you been able to print (perhaps via a Windows 10 intermediary) from
your Android device to your LAN networked printer (mine is Ethernet)?
Old November 23rd 20, 08:43 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
MJP[_2_]

"Arlen Holder" wrote in message ...

I need help with printing to a printer that Windows 10 has no problem
printing to, where I ask here in the hope someone here solved the problem.

If you haven't already solved the problem, then I don't ask you for how.
o I only want you to go to the trouble to respond if you already solved it!

Mostly because it's only partially related to Windows, in that Windows 10
prints fine to this HP LJ 2100 over the LAN so why can't Android also?

My brother wireless printer is available to my Android devices as a print
option.

This uses the brother plug in for android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rvice&hl=en_GB

Mjp

Old November 23rd 20, 09:04 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
Carlos E. R.

On 23/11/2020 20.14, Arlen Holder wrote:
I need help with printing to a printer that Windows 10 has no problem
printing to, where I ask here in the hope someone here solved the problem.

If you haven't already solved the problem, then I don't ask you for how.
o I only want you to go to the trouble to respond if you already solved it!

Mostly because it's only partially related to Windows, in that Windows 10
prints fine to this HP LJ 2100 over the LAN so why can't Android also?

Maybe I can make use of some "Windows 10 magic" (somehow) to print to it
from the mobile device, which is also on the same subnet as Windows 10 is?

Two years ago I printed from Android phone to new hp printer (not mine),
connected to the router by ethernet. I just followed instructions
(hints) on the printer docs. Sorry, I do not remember the details.

In Android setup, search for "print". "Predetermined print service" is
enabled. If you tap it, it searches for printers in the LAN. IIRC, it
just worked, easy peasy.

At home, my printer is older and does not support it. I guess I would
have to setup CUPS (which I have, but not for this). I remember there
was an app that would "see" CUPS in Android. I don't currently have it
installed.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.
Old November 24th 20, 04:48 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
Arlen Holder

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 21:04:45 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Two years ago I printed from Android phone to new hp printer (not mine),
connected to the router by ethernet. I just followed instructions
(hints) on the printer docs. Sorry, I do not remember the details.

Hi Carlos,
Thanks for that purposefully helpful advice, where I don't want anyone to
go to the trouble I usually go to in order to solve a _new_ problem.

In "Connected devices" there's a secret web page (apparently) on printing.
o https://i.postimg.cc/zD0CDJZz/printing01.jpg
o https://i.postimg.cc/pTkFdBSG/printing04.jpg

I just want to know how others managed to print, from Android, to a
networked printer that Windows 10 has no problem whatsoever printing to.

My HP LaserJet 2100tn is so old that even Microsoft considers it legacy:
o Tutorial for the EASIEST (maybe only?) way to install a problematic legacy printer such as the HP LaserJet 2100 on Windows 10 current versions
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/Qb-fXNOH_8g

But Windows 10 prints fine to it so I hope I can get Android to print also.

In Android setup, search for "print". "Predetermined print service" is
enabled. If you tap it, it searches for printers in the LAN. IIRC, it
just worked, easy peasy.

I'm Android 10, Moto G7, where a "Search" inside "Settings" has these hits:
o https://i.postimg.cc/PxdDh7Sv/printing03.jpg
1. Print services [Connected devices Connection preferences Printing]
2. Print jobs [Connected devices Connection preferences Printing]
3. Printing [Connected devices Connection preferences Printing]
4. Android CUPS Print [App info]
5. Print Service Recommendation... [App info]
6. Default Print Service [App info]
7. Mopria Print Service [App info]
8. Print Spooler [App info]

At home, my printer is older and does not support it. I guess I would
have to setup CUPS (which I have, but not for this). I remember there
was an app that would "see" CUPS in Android. I don't currently have it
installed.

In the Android thread, I mentioned I installed a "Cups" app thingy
o But I'm not familiar with CUPS (it just worked on Linux years ago
so I didn't learn anything more than the fact Linux uses CUPS).

It's only when things don't work that I learn anything about them.
o https://i.postimg.cc/xdvmwQ3S/printing02.jpg

Anyway, I'm not printing from Android to a Windows networked printer yet.
o But I'm still trying to figure out how

Where part of the problem is just finding an answer for an Ethernet
connected printer which isn't WiFi nor Mopria nor USB connected.
Old November 24th 20, 05:11 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
Arlen Holder

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 19:43:22 -0000, MJP wrote:

My brother wireless printer is available to my Android devices as a print
option.

This uses the brother plug in for android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rvice&hl=en_GB

Hi MJP,

We should all be able to print directly to our printers at home
o So this is a worthwhile endeavor to try to write up a tutorial

A specific OEM printer app might be the answer, which I will try on my
o Hewlett Packard LaserJet 2100tn (Ethernet connected to my LAN router)

Using Aurora Store (which is an anonymous front end to Google Play) with
filters to filter out (a) all google apps (b) all paid apps (c) all adware
apps, and (d) all apps which require GSF (which is sort of like .NET
Framework on Windows), I found a few apps for non-HP printers such as:
a. PrinterShare Mobile Print com.dynamicxsoftware.printershare
b. Canon Print Service jp.co.canon.android.printservice.plugin
c. Epson Print Enabler com.epson.mobilephone.android.epso...
d. Konica Minolta Mobile Print com.konicaminolta.mobileprint
e. Hauwei Printer com.hauwei.cv80.printer_hauwei.abr...
f. Brother iPrint&Scan com.brother.mfc.brprint
g. Lexmark Mobile Print com.lexmark.print
h. Mobi Print for Zebra, Brother, Seiko printers com.mobiprintpro.retail.android
i. Hammer Print com.hammermill.premium
etc.

Removing the filter blocking "GSF dependent" apps, brings up HP stuff:
j. HP Print Service Plugin com.hp.android.printservice
k. HP Smart com.hp.printercontrol
l. HP ePrint Enterprise com.hp.eprint.client
m. HP ePrint Enterprise for Good com.hp.com.hpeprintservice.good
n. HP Advance com.hp.mobileconnector
o. HP PrintOS for PSP com.hp.printosforpsp
p. HP SureSupply com.hp.esupplies
q. HP QuickDrop com.hp.quickdrop
etc.

I'll see if one or more of the printing apps above works for me
given I have on my network via Ethernet an HP LJ2100tn printer.
Old November 24th 20, 05:55 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
Arlen Holder

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 16:35:54 +0200, Anssi Saari wrote:

OK, so my response was needlessly short.

Hi Anssi Saari,

Any amount of purposefully helpful advice and suggestions I appreciate!

I'm just getting started on this quest, and it seems there are lots of ways
to go so that's where advice from others who have been successful can
prevent a whole bunch of dead ends.

In the end, if I can print to the printer directly from Android
o That would be worthy of a tutorial so as to help others do the same

The printer I have is a
Laserjet P1102, USB connection only. So to make it into a networked
printer it's connected to a raspberry pi via USB. CUPS shares it in a
way that Linux (and Android) machines see, Samba shares it in a way that
Windows machines see. So when I wrote the response I knew nothing about
printers that are actually directly networked (other than an ancient
Laserjet 4P that's still in storage somewhere but that thing predates
Android phones...)

We both have HP printers, but yours is USB only while mine is Ethernet.
o That probably changes what's available to us by way of printing options.

So anyways, after a quick look, "everyone" uses IPP (internet printing
protocol) for networked printing, both printers and Android. And CUPS
too. So I should be able to print direct to my printer and indeed I
could, even after removing Mopria.

I installed every free app for IPP that Aurora Store found on Google Play:
a. CUPS Printing io.github.benoitduffez.cupsprint
b. Let's Print Droid com.blackspruce.lpd
c. PrinterShare Mobile Print com.dynamixsoftware.printershare
d. PrintBot net.jsecurity.printbot
e. PrinterOn com.printeron.droid.phone
f. Direrct Print Service com.solvaig.printservice
g. PrintHand Mobile Print com.dynamixsoftware.printhand

I will have to test each one out to see which ones work on my HP printer.
o https://i.postimg.cc/5N8c5d9T/printing05.jpg

So I guess your printer might be the issue here? Is using the "HP Print
Service Plugin" for Android out of the question? HP says printers newer
than 2004 should work with it.

I haven't even tried yet this HP Print Service Plugin, but I downloaded it
and many other HP printer apps from the Aurora Store overlay on Google Play
h. HP Print Service Plugin com.hp.android.printservice
i. HP Smart com.hp.printercontrol
j. HP ePrint Enterprise com.hp.eprint.client
k. HP ePrint Enterprise for Good com.hp.com.hpeprintservice.good
l. HP Advance com.hp.mobileconnector
m. HP PrintOS for PSP com.hp.printosforpsp
n. HP SureSupply com.hp.esupplies
o. HP QuickDrop com.hp.quickdrop

Or my solution with CUPS on some Linux
machine might work for you. Or even CUPS on Android?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ffez.cupsprint

Just in case it turns out to be the solution, I downloaded a few CUPS apps
(although I haven't yet dug into how or why this CUPS stuff would work).
o https://i.postimg.cc/Y9TVg85t/printing06.jpg 11 print services on

In summary, this printing directly from Android to a networked printer
isn't intuitive, but there's so much information that I still have to delve
into I can't say much other than this is the status so far, for the
screenshots for the upcoming (hopefully) tutorial so all others benefit:
o https://i.postimg.cc/zD0CDJZz/printing01.jpg Android10 ConnectionPrefs
o https://i.postimg.cc/xdvmwQ3S/printing02.jpg ConnectionPrefs Printing
o https://i.postimg.cc/PxdDh7Sv/printing03.jpg Search Print Services
o https://i.postimg.cc/pTkFdBSG/printing04.jpg ? Print Documentation
o https://i.postimg.cc/5N8c5d9T/printing05.jpg Added free IPP print apps
o https://i.postimg.cc/Y9TVg85t/printing06.jpg 11 print services on
--
If anyone has printing figured out, please let us know so we all benefit.
Old November 24th 20, 11:43 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
wasbit[_4_]

[...]

I don't understand your question.
Where does Windows come into it other than to install the printer drivers.
Brother MFC L2700DW connected to router by ethernet allows anything on the
LAN to print. That's my Android tablet & visitors mobile phones.

I no longer have an HP Laserjet 2100 (with additional JetDirect ethernet
card) but I don't recall having any print or connectivity problems.

--
Regards
wasbit

Old November 24th 20, 03:32 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
Arlen Holder

On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 10:43:10 -0000, wasbit wrote:

I don't understand your question.

Hi wasbit,

Actually you do understand the question.

Where does Windows come into it other than to install the printer drivers.

I said in the OP that Windows only comes in _if_ the solution is to use
Windows (which it may very well need to be), e.g., as the print server
(e.g., via cups, or samba, as also mentioned in the ancillary thread I
referenced).

The facts are that the Android phone ties closer to Windows than it does to
the Ethernet'd wired printer on the LAN; Windows is almost certainly going
to be the intermediary, for a bunch of reasons, not only that Android
connects to the SMB/CUPs services, but also because Windows can 'share' a
printer.

I've never needed to "share" a printer from Windows; but that may be the
solution that works, given how nicely Android ties to Windows and how
nicely Windows ties to the printer (and given how poorly Android ties to
the printer).

Brother MFC L2700DW connected to router by ethernet allows anything on the
LAN to print. That's my Android tablet & visitors mobile phones.

You're the second person to mention that a Brother printer has good enough
software to connect directly between Android & the printer which is _only_
on the LAN via its Ethernet connection to the router (i.e., it has an IP
address).

Can you look to see if that connection _also_ has a port involved, as some
of the software I've been trying to get to work asks for both the IP
address of the printer and the port (where I don't know what the port is).

Given that Windows 10 prints fine to this printer, is there a way, for
example, to get Windows to tell me what that port number is?

I no longer have an HP Laserjet 2100 (with additional JetDirect ethernet
card) but I don't recall having any print or connectivity problems.

You are correct it's the HP LaserJet 2100tn, which apparently means it has
that network card for Ethernet, which has been printing from Windows for
more than a decade (I don't remember how old it is).

I don't have any problem whatsoever printing from Windows to that printer
over the LAN; but have you been printing to that printer directly from
Android?

If so, _how_ did you manage to get the Android device to see the printer?
Old November 24th 20, 08:12 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
Arlen Holder

One of the Android printing apps I was testing asked for the "port".
o I don't know how to find the printer port (even from Windows).

Searching, I found this recent thread on the printer dejagoogle archive:
o http://tinyurl.com/comp-periphs-printers

What I found was a "similar" question (but not exactly the same question):
o Printer's IP address, by Alex Trishan
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.periphs.printers/c/Y-b186tFKTs

Here's my test results, from start to finish (for edification)
o There may be a better way to find the port of a printer though.

.... My ad hoc sysinstall log follows...
o mkdir x:\installers\network\scanner\angryip
o https://angryip.org/
https://angryip.org/download/#windows
https://github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com...stuff
Name: ipscan-3.7.3-setup.exe
Size: 3019446 bytes (2948 KiB)
CRC32: 8416A268
CRC64: 2646920C3D6D1BD8
SHA256: DF2BCA8190A27477227F92A6825DCE00FDA7E2F5C2A2A3DA67 638B016FF62502
SHA1: 89177351A23D4EC1E2337273A9EE8271B077C1C7
BLAKE2sp: 7D7570FF0FF539488AA7ED3FF925A54596AD5375A934DD40F3 2C637D9C4DFB45
o Run this downloaded ipscan-3.7.3-setup.exe executable
It wants to go in C:\Program Files\Angry IP Scanner
I put it where it belongs C:\app\network\scanner\angryip
Note: You decide that; not a thousand different companies.
o It installs quickly, with no obvious shenanigans (good).
o Create a shortcut C:\menu\network\scanner\ipscan.lnk
Target C:\app\network\scanner\angryip\ipscan.exe
o Start it: Taskbar menu network scanner ipscan
Uncheck [x]Send anonymous error reports
Hit [Next] quite a few times, and then [Close]
o I'm not sure what to do next but I hit the big green "Start" button.
Up pops a Windows Defender Firewall blockage report:
Java(TM) Platform SE binary
C:\program files (x86)\common files\oracle\java\javapath_target_18549781\javaw.e xe
(I never know what to hit so I made sure both boxes are unchecked.)
o Scanning completed (it took about 20 seconds).
o IP Range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255
o Hosts alive: 9
o With open ports: 6

OK. I scroll down to find the printer, which doesn't show up "as" a
printer, but I happen to already know its IP address, where it says:
o IP = 192.168.0.20
o Ping = 2ms
o Hostname = [n/a]
o Ports[3+] = 80
--
I'm not sure what the "3+" means, but the rest seems pretty clear.
o Thanks for this advice to use this freeware Windows network scanner.
Old November 25th 20, 09:23 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
Arlen Holder

UPDATE:
o https://i.postimg.cc/zD0CDJZz/printing01.jpg Android10 ConnectionPrefs
o https://i.postimg.cc/xdvmwQ3S/printing02.jpg ConnectionPrefs Printing
o https://i.postimg.cc/PxdDh7Sv/printing03.jpg Search Print Services
o https://i.postimg.cc/pTkFdBSG/printing04.jpg ? Print Documentation
o https://i.postimg.cc/5N8c5d9T/printing05.jpg Added free IPP print apps
o https://i.postimg.cc/Y9TVg85t/printing06.jpg 11 print services on
o https://i.postimg.cc/FzmF5wYr/printing07.jpg Shortcut to print settings

HELPFUL HINT: I've been pulling up the printer menus so much that this
single-tap homescreen print-settings shortcut is coming in quite handy:
o https://i.postimg.cc/FzmF5wYr/printing07.jpg

To create this one-tap homescreen shortcut to Android print settings:
1. Download & install & run "Shortcut Creator", by AlexTernHome
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alextern.shortcuthelper

2. ShortcutCreator:Settings Observe activities Printing (.Settings$PrintSettingsActivity)
o Press the "plus" sign to add that shortcut to your homescreen.

3. Voila!
o You can access any deeply nested Android setting in a single tap!
--
See also:
o Is there a way to make an Android homescreen shortcut to any given