Catalyst Media Center splits large files

Old January 4th 08, 05:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Bill Anderson

Default Catalyst Media Center splits large files

I just tried for the first time to record a movie on TCM using the
Catalyst Media Center software to run my TV Wonder HD 650 PCI Express.
The movie recorded fine, but the output consists of two files -- the
first about 4.1 gigabytes and the other somewhat smaller as the movie
ended before it also reached what is apparently a 4.1 gigabyte limit
imposed by Catalyst Media Center. Now I can join the files using some
software I have but I'd rather just deal with one large file. I'm
running XP with NTFS so file sizes of this magnitude shouldn't be a
problem. Anybody know how to turn off this file sizing "feature?" I'm
practicing now because I need to record a movie tonight and I want the
results to be high quality. Thanks for any help.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old January 4th 08, 08:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Dr. Richard Cranium

"Bill Anderson" wrote in message ...
I just tried for the first time to record a movie on TCM using the
Catalyst Media Center software to run my TV Wonder HD 650 PCI Express.
The movie recorded fine, but the output consists of two files -- the
first about 4.1 gigabytes and the other somewhat smaller as the movie
ended before it also reached what is apparently a 4.1 gigabyte limit
imposed by Catalyst Media Center. Now I can join the files using some
software I have but I'd rather just deal with one large file. I'm
running XP with NTFS so file sizes of this magnitude shouldn't be a
problem. Anybody know how to turn off this file sizing "feature?" I'm
practicing now because I need to record a movie tonight and I want the
results to be high quality. Thanks for any help.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Yeah 4.1 gig limit on fat 32. NTFS shouldn't matter above upper file size limit. Did anybody tell this to AMD ?

soory - just venting about AMD killing the ATI videocard.

** no fate **

dracman
Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm
My game machines:
http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old January 4th 08, 08:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Bill Anderson

Dr. Richard Cranium wrote:

Yeah 4.1 gig limit on fat 32. NTFS shouldn't matter above upper file size limit. Did anybody tell this to AMD ?

soory - just venting about AMD killing the ATI videocard.

Are you saying it's a known fact that there is now a 4.1 gig limit on
Catalyst Media Center recorded files? I could record huge files with my
All in Wonder card. Seriously, you know that's no longer allowed with
the newer software running an ATI video capture card?

Do you know whether there is other video capture software I should use?
Some alternative that will work with the TV Wonder HD 650 PCI Express?
I do have Vista Ultimate installed in a separate boot partition, but I
don't really want to spend the rest of the afternoon figuring out how to
make it record in a format I can convert to a DVD. I'm sure it can be
done, but that's unexplored territory for me. Is there an easier
alternative I can install in XP?

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old January 5th 08, 04:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Bill Anderson

Dr. Richard Cranium wrote:

[...]

Haven't seen CMC or the Cyberlink program it's based on. Get the trial
version of VideoRedo TV Plus and you can convert/combine/join just about
anything without rerendering if you use an appropriate capture setting. Will
even burn the disc. So impressed thinking of forking over the $75 they want
for it.

I've recorded nearly 30GB .TS files from my HDTV Wonder with WatchHDTV.
Unfortunately it only does DTV. 4GB is just lame. What format are you
capturing to?

The Catalyst Media Center is capturing in mpeg2 format.

I have a dual-boot system -- XP Pro and Vista Ultimate. A little while
ago I experimented for the first time with recording in Vista's Media
Center and the results are very promising. The file format that's
produced has the extension dvr-ms, but VideoReDo does a good job of
converting that to an mpeg2 format which loads nicely in my DVD
authoring program. So that's the way I'll go this evening. I've
already set Media Center to turn itself on at 2:00 am and get the TCM
movie I want. It's an Otto Preminger film called "Skidoo" and it's
supposed to be a genuine stinker. But it's Groucho Marx's last film and
it has a bunch of big names from the late 1960s in it and some friends
want me to make a DVD for them, so ... this really needs to work. Keep
your fingers crossed. Thanks.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old January 6th 08, 12:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

"Bill Anderson" wrote in message ...
movie I want. It's an Otto Preminger film called "Skidoo" and it's
supposed to be a genuine stinker. But it's Groucho Marx's last film and
it has a bunch of big names from the late 1960s in it and some friends
want me to make a DVD for them, so ...

I stumbled on that film as well. Just bizarre. A psychedelic train
wreck with Groucho, Frankie Avalon, Jackie Gleason, Mickey
Rooney and 1200 other people? Preminger's salary budget must
have been astronomical. Other attempts at this genre (e.g. "Head")
are MUCH better.