What hardware do I need for DSL and two PCs?

Old July 10th 03, 03:19 PM

Default What hardware do I need for DSL and two PCs?

Hi group.
I just signed up with EarthLink DSL service, (don't know how good there
service is,) but anyway; I have two PCs and I'm wondering what hardware
I would need in order to set up to use the DSL service for both of them.
Any help and advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
BN

http://community.webtv.net/BNILSSON/MYPAGE

Old July 10th 03, 04:42 PM
JAD

Earthlink DSL, AFA my connection goes is, perfect. You will need either:

3 NIC cards
1 crossover cable, 1 regular(straight through)/crossover cable supplied with
install kit.
2 NICs in the computer that will have the modem near it.
1 nic in the other machine
crossover from NIC to NIC of the two machines and a regular cable to the
modem (or whatever is required) and the unused NIC in the first machine.
Home networking wizard will allow you to selected the NIC for internet and
then the NIC for connecting the two machine together.

OR:
A router and 2 NIC cards and 1 crossover, 2 regular cables ( crossover
as needed), Some Modems require a crossover and some don't. They usually
supply the correct cable needed to hook up one machine to the modem.
Don't bother with switches or hubs, routers are cheap enough now and will
give you some protection from internet attacks.
Modem cable to the router uplink port and 2 cables, 1 running to each
machine.

OR: and I don't recommend it but you could use internet connection sharing
(ICS) and a serial cable, YUK slow as hell and you need one machine ON all
the time for the other to connect.

That's it, in a nutshell.

Old July 10th 03, 08:56 PM

Strontium and JAD!
Thanks a lot guys! Sure appreciate all your help.
BN

Old July 11th 03, 07:04 PM
Dogbert

I would put a NIC in each machine. Then, get a 4-port DSL router. Then,
you plug the PCs to the router, the router to the DSL modem, do some
woftware configuring, and you should be in. Then, since the DSL is always
on, put a decent firewall on each machine and you are ready to go.
Old July 12th 03, 02:28 AM

Thanks for that info., Dogbert.
Q.- What software are you referring to, that I would need to configure?
stated in your post.
Thanks
BN