“How Backblaze Buys Hard Drives”

Old December 10th 19, 08:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default “How Backblaze Buys Hard Drives”

“How Backblaze Buys Hard Drives”
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-b...s-hard-drives/

“As the person on staff ultimately responsible for sourcing the drives
our data centers need to run—some 117,658 by his last count—Ariel knows
a thing or two about purchasing petabytes-worth of storage. So we asked
him to share his insights on the evaluation and purchasing process here
at Backblaze. While we’re buying at a slightly larger volume than some
of you might be, we hope you find Ariel’s approach useful and that
you’ll share your own drive purchasing philosophies in the comments below.”

That is a lot of hard drives.

Lynn
Old December 10th 19, 08:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Percival P. Cassidy

On 12/10/19 3:01 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

“How Backblaze Buys Hard Drives”
** https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-b...s-hard-drives/

“As the person on staff ultimately responsible for sourcing the drives
our data centers need to run—some 117,658 by his last count—Ariel knows
a thing or two about purchasing petabytes-worth of storage. So we asked
him to share his insights on the evaluation and purchasing process here
at Backblaze. While we’re buying at a slightly larger volume than some
of you might be, we hope you find Ariel’s approach useful and that
you’ll share your own drive purchasing philosophies in the comments below.”

That is a lot of hard drives.

Ariel: "Due to the quantities we need and the visibility of the posts,
drive manufacturers are motivated to give us their best possible
product. We have a great purchasing relationship with all three
companies and they update us on their plans and new drive models coming
down the road."

Does that mean that Joe Enduser or Fred Smallbusinessman who needs just
one or two drives might not get as good a drive as backblaze gets?

Perce

Old December 10th 19, 08:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

[...]

Yes, I was kind of wondering that myself.

Especially since they are now getting five year warranties on their hard
drives.

Lynn

Old December 11th 19, 08:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 14:38:57 -0600, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

Yes, I was kind of wondering that myself.

Especially since they are now getting five year warranties on their hard
drives.

Lynn

Warranted for measures at usage, such as a drive controller's count
and within proprietary firmware boundaries for product lifespan. Which
may regardless mean a world of difference between manufacturer
policies or overall an extent of inconvenience, valid or not, upon the
customer subsequently make a claim for premature failure.

User feedback ratings may give a indication of what to possibly expect
if the "silver cloud" of 5 years' assurance prove problematic. ADATA
is one with a large representation in sales for general satisfied
value, but also higher indications of dissatisfaction with warranty
treatment. A warranty may turn out to mean much less, especially
these days, than ratings for quality products with a reputation for
not or less often failing in the first place.