Cat 4.12 - Which Version to Use?

Old December 21st 04, 02:10 AM
BRH

Default Cat 4.12 - Which Version to Use?

I want to upgrade my ATI drivers for my Radeon 9700Pro to Cat 4.12 (from
4.7). The ATI site has two versions -- one with "Control Center"
(28mb), and one with "ATI Control Panel" (22mb).

Can someone explain the difference between the two and give me a
recommendation on which to use? I'm running WinXPPro, if it matters.

Thanks!
Old December 21st 04, 02:17 AM
Geoff

BRH wrote:
I want to upgrade my ATI drivers for my Radeon 9700Pro to Cat 4.12
(from 4.7). The ATI site has two versions -- one with "Control Center"
(28mb), and one with "ATI Control Panel" (22mb).

Can someone explain the difference between the two and give me a
recommendation on which to use? I'm running WinXPPro, if it matters.

Thanks!

you want the 22 meg one, the 28 meg is supposed to be errr not so good
others will know more, can't say i'v tryed it myself, the smaller 22 meg has
all the stuff i want

Old December 21st 04, 02:34 AM
DeRanger

In article , BRH BRH says...
I want to upgrade my ATI drivers for my Radeon 9700Pro to Cat 4.12 (from
4.7). The ATI site has two versions -- one with "Control Center"
(28mb), and one with "ATI Control Panel" (22mb).

Can someone explain the difference between the two and give me a
recommendation on which to use? I'm running WinXPPro, if it matters.

Thanks!

Do not install the CCC if you know what's good for you, all you need is
the control panel. When I last had Catalysts installed (I use Omegas)
the CCC caused my system (a64/x800/1 gig ddr400/220 gig SATA, etc.) to
take literally 4-5x longer to boot completely. It is bloatware.
--

DeRanger

Tactical Gamer
www.tacticalgamer.com
Your source for tactical online gaming.
Old December 21st 04, 07:05 PM
Glennbo

"DeRanger" wrote in message
ble.net...
In article , BRH BRH says...
I want to upgrade my ATI drivers for my Radeon 9700Pro to Cat 4.12 (from
4.7). The ATI site has two versions -- one with "Control Center"
(28mb), and one with "ATI Control Panel" (22mb).

Can someone explain the difference between the two and give me a
recommendation on which to use? I'm running WinXPPro, if it matters.

Thanks!

Do not install the CCC if you know what's good for you, all you need is
the control panel. When I last had Catalysts installed (I use Omegas)
the CCC caused my system (a64/x800/1 gig ddr400/220 gig SATA, etc.) to
take literally 4-5x longer to boot completely. It is bloatware.
--

DeRanger

Tactical Gamer
www.tacticalgamer.com
Your source for tactical online gaming.

Totally agree - CCC is pants. I can't understand while ATI are still pushing
it when it is clearly a load of cak.

Glenn

Old December 22nd 04, 01:26 AM
NightSky 421

"Glennbo" wrote in message

Totally agree - CCC is pants. I can't understand while ATI are still
pushing it when it is clearly a load of cak.

I also agree. If you go to ATI's website and read the known issues section
with the new CCC, you'll see that there are still a bunch of issues with it.
If I was ATI, I wouldn't have released it at all just yet. It's an
embarrassment.

Old December 22nd 04, 03:15 AM
Andrew Chew

"NightSky 421" wrote in message
"Glennbo" wrote in message

Totally agree - CCC is pants. I can't understand while ATI are still
pushing it when it is clearly a load of cak.

I also agree. If you go to ATI's website and read the known issues
section with the new CCC, you'll see that there are still a bunch of
issues with it. If I was ATI, I wouldn't have released it at all just yet.
It's an embarrassment.

LOL, most if not all software companies these days issue buggy stuff all the
time, as patching takes away the need for thorough testing etc.

Old December 22nd 04, 11:26 PM
BRH

"Glennbo" wrote in message

Totally agree - CCC is pants. I can't understand while ATI are still
pushing it when it is clearly a load of cak.

I also agree. If you go to ATI's website and read the known issues
section with the new CCC, you'll see that there are still a bunch of
issues with it. If I was ATI, I wouldn't have released it at all just yet.
It's an embarrassment.

LOL, most if not all software companies these days issue buggy stuff all the
time, as patching takes away the need for thorough testing etc.

Thanks for all the responses, guys. That's prettty much what I thought.