R8500 dark d3d performance.

Old February 22nd 04, 06:59 AM
CARBUFF

Default R8500 dark d3d performance.

Hi, Ive got a radeon 8500 128 in my system and it works fine for what I do. One
thing Ive always noticed is that whenever I played a d3d game or ran 3dmark the
picture was always very dark. My other machine has a radeon 32ddr and its not
that way. My son had a gf2mx that wasnt that way. I figured it was just some
dumb setting on my puter. Well I replaced the gf2mx in my sons computer with
another 8500 128 and now he has the same problem. If he plays his games in open
gl its fine but d3d is really dark. 3dmark runs really dark too. Is there a
reason for this? Ive checked the property tabs for the video settings and
nothing I change seems to effect it. Any ideas to solve this one, maybe some
registry settings to mess with?

George
Old February 22nd 04, 11:42 AM
Glenn

Try going to the Display PropertiesSettingsAdvancedColor tab. Check the
radio button for 'Full Screen 3D'. Now tweak the settings to brighten up the
picture. The only problem with this method is that you cannot see what
effect your chages will have until you actually run your full screen 3d
application (a game etc).

Glenn

"CARBUFF" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old February 22nd 04, 05:12 PM
CARBUFF

"CARBUFF" wrote in message
[...]

Hi, yes Ive done this and it has no effect at all. Ive turned up the brightness
and the gamma all the way up and my 3dmark full screen is still almost too dark
to see. Also I can barely find my way on some counterstrike maps. Of course I
can just switch to opengl and all is fine but many games dont offer this. I
have a radeon 9000 in another machine using the same drivers and dont have this
problem. Any other ideas?

George
Old February 22nd 04, 06:33 PM
Asestar

Which catalyst are you using?
I have radeon8500le, and had this problem under 3.7-3.10 but series 4 fixed
this.
I normally use gamma of 1.45, contrast to 96 and brightness to about +10 or
so. Gives me good picture. I know it's too bad to have dark picture, you
hardly see everything there is to see.