Need Suggestions !!!!

Old August 27th 07, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
bigdaddy

Default Need Suggestions !!!!

Hi all

I am running Abit Kr7a with AMD 1700 CPU and 1 GB Memory. I use
photoshop and Adobe premier occasionally. Now I want to upgrade to
something better, but using my Hard Drives, TV Card, Lan Card and
Matrox Grafic Card from my old mobo. I like to stick to ATA though as
I can not afford two hard drives right now.

I do not want top of the range Mobo and CPU, which I can not afford.
Something cheaper but very stable combination.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old August 27th 07, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

I do not want top of the range Mobo and CPU, which I can not afford.
Something cheaper but very stable combination.

I think you are trying to make too big of a jump
and still use a lot of your old stuff. Anything
compatible that is still "new" is probably going
to be a restock and will fail. Instead, look at
the latest Dell cheapies. They are not that bad,
and you are in to a complete machine for less
than $300.

johns

Old August 27th 07, 04:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_3_]

"johns" wrote in message
ups.com...
I do not want top of the range Mobo and CPU, which I can not afford.
Something cheaper but very stable combination.

I think you are trying to make too big of a jump
and still use a lot of your old stuff. Anything
compatible that is still "new" is probably going
to be a restock and will fail. Instead, look at
the latest Dell cheapies

this is a 'homebuilt' group. If you mention DELL then it must be in the form of an
apology.

e.g. I hate to say it, but a dell maybe a better choice for You. ;^)~

Old August 28th 07, 03:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob Knowlden

You're seriously restricting yourself by requiring a board that takes an AGP
graphics card. However, some still exist:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/...t.php?S_ID=141

(It has only 2 PCI slots, but it includes an onboard NIC, so you wouldn't
need to carry over your "Lan card".) It uses a Socket AM2 Athlon 64 CPU, so
you'd need DDR2 memory to go with it.

On the Intel side,

http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Products/...5GME-775-RH-AS

Make sure to get this revision of the board if you want to run a Core 2 Duo
CPU. It uses DDR RAM, though. Stay with the 800 MHz FSB Core2 CPUs.

For both of these, check further whether you unnamed Matrox graphics card
will fit. Your KR7A has an AGP 4X slot, so there may be a compatibility
issue. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agp

I found these using the "power search" function at www.newegg.com. I'd
suggest NewEgg as an online vendor, but I doubt that they ship to the UK.

I have used neither of these microATX boards, but both makers are reputable.

You might do better to go with a PCI-E graphics card. There are still boards
around with ATA drive controllers, but AGP graphics are pretty much over for
new systems.

Return address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

news

Old August 28th 07, 05:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jaster

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:17:08 +0000, bigdaddy thoughfully wrote:

Hi all

I am running Abit Kr7a with AMD 1700 CPU and 1 GB Memory. I use
photoshop and Adobe premier occasionally. Now I want to upgrade to
something better, but using my Hard Drives, TV Card, Lan Card and Matrox
Grafic Card from my old mobo. I like to stick to ATA though as I can
not afford two hard drives right now.

I do not want top of the range Mobo and CPU, which I can not afford.
Something cheaper but very stable combination.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I think you're limiting your options. Look for some combos, I saw a AMD
BE-2300 (X2 64 4400 performance) with Nvidia onboard graphics and onboard
sound for $88, add memory and you can use the rest of the hardware. The
onboard video is Nvideo 6000, hardware 3.0 pixel shader (Directx 9.0c)
support.
Old August 28th 07, 07:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
bigdaddy

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 04:22:58 GMT, jaster wrote:

[...]

Thanks all for your suggestions. The idea of using Matrox card etc.
was to minimize the expenses. But as some good folks suggested, it is
better to find a m/board with onboard Video. But I do not know which
is a better proposition, on board Video or separate Video Card. But I
still wants to retain my ATA Hard Disks because of the huge DATA I
have on them.

Old August 28th 07, 04:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_3_]

"bigdaddy" wrote in message
[...]

Disaster waiting to happen!

Old August 28th 07, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

JAD wrote:
"bigdaddy" wrote in message
[...]

"huge DATA" = "you need backups!"

And preferably to another hard drive, as that makes it easy to copy
everything. Hard drives are cheap, while data recovery companies
are not cheap.

Paul
Old August 30th 07, 07:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jaster

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 06:51:45 +0000, bigdaddy thoughfully wrote:

[...]

Most onboard video motherboards also have onboard lan and a PCI-E slot
for later upgrade to a separate video. Because you're still using a
Matrox and Lan card, any Nvidia 6000 class video would be way better than
your Matrox card. And also have IDE slots so you can continue using your
ATA drives. But you will need to buy DDR2 memory for any newer
motherboard. you

Need Suggestions !!! bigdaddy Overclocking AMD Processors 5 September 3rd 07 06:55 AM
Need Suggestions for NAS [email protected] Storage & Hardrives 5 January 24th 06 03:17 AM
Need suggestions geo Homebuilt PC's 4 December 17th 05 02:47 AM
CD-RW/DVD suggestions? Richard General 4 June 20th 04 02:31 AM
RAM suggestions for K8V SPRITE1001 Asus Motherboards 5 January 30th 04 11:16 PM