PC133 memory in PC100 board

Old July 17th 03, 12:20 PM
bluestringer

"Al Franz" wrote in message
et...
Have a motherboard that only supports PC100 memory. Can I still use PC133
memory, will it still work and run at the slower speed?

440BX chipset?

Older PC133 will be ok. Some of the newer modules state on the package that
it is not backwards compatible with PC100.

bluestringer

Old July 17th 03, 11:40 PM
Al Franz

Default PC133 memory in PC100 board

Old July 18th 03, 12:59 AM
DaveW

It will work and run at 100MHz.

--
DaveW
davew02 at comcast dot net

Old July 18th 03, 03:16 AM
steven67@

Al Franz wrote:

Have a motherboard that only supports PC100 memory. Can I still use PC133
memory, will it still work and run at the slower speed?

440BX chipset?

..

The 440BX chipset supports chip densities up to 128Mbit. Most of the new
PC133, 256MB DIMMs have eight 32Mx8(256Mbit) chips. If you are getting a
256MB DIMM, you'll need to get one that has sixteen 16Mx8(128Mbit) chips.
Avoid the cheap, generic 256MB DIMMs that have sixteen 32Mx4 chips.

If you are getting 128MB DIMMs, look for those with either eight
16Mx8(128Mbit), or sixteen 8Mx8(64Mbit) chips.

Old July 18th 03, 11:28 AM
spodosaurus

Al Franz wrote:
Have a motherboard that only supports PC100 memory. Can I still use PC133
memory, will it still work and run at the slower speed?

yes

440BX chipset?

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

Old July 18th 03, 12:32 PM
LeeB18509

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
Al Franz wrote:
Have a motherboard that only supports PC100 memory. Can I still use

PC133
memory, will it still work and run at the slower speed?

yes

Everyones so quick to answer yes, but there are boards out there that *only*
support PC100 memory. How do I know, because I got screwed by everybody
telling me that PC133 would work. It didn't. Check your manual, if it says
PC100 ONLY then believe it and spend your money wisely.

Old July 19th 03, 12:55 AM
Roy Coorne

Al Franz wrote:
Have a motherboard that only supports PC100 memory. Can I still use PC133
memory, will it still work and run at the slower speed?

Have you consulted www.crucial.com where all (Crucial/Micron) memory
is identified which is supported by your motherboard (if it is in
their data bank)?

440BX chipset?

I have the Asus P3B-F (1.04) with a standard bus speed of PC100 and
run a PIII600E@800MHz (FSB133) with PC133 memory...

Roy

Old July 19th 03, 08:57 AM
larrymoencurly

"LeeB18509" wrote in message ...

Everyones so quick to answer yes, but there are boards out
there that *only* support PC100 memory. How do I know,
because I got screwed by everybody telling me that PC133
would work. It didn't. Check your manual, if it says
PC100 ONLY then believe it and spend your money wisely.

But some manuals and manufacturers are lousy about providing the
information, or manuals for old equipment mention only certain brands
of 64MB and smaller modules that are no longer available. For
example, one manual said that nothing larger than 64MB had been tested
with the mobo, yet it works fine with 256MB 16-chip PC133 modules,
provided the chips are 16Mb x 8 and not 32Mb x 4.
Old July 20th 03, 07:56 PM
jaster

"Rainer Wiechmann" wrote in message
More than likely your MB will only recognize DIMMs up to 256Mb that are
single-sided architecture....meaning that all the ICs are located on one
side of the module. watch out for this...Newer double sided DIMM boards
will probably show up as half their capacity and may not work
altogether. PC133 single sided DIMMs have worked fine for me in my MB
(ASUS P6B) but yes, they will only run at 100Mhz

Al Franz wrote:

Have a motherboard that only supports PC100 memory. Can I still use

PC133
memory, will it still work and run at the slower speed?

440BX chipset?

I found it's the chip density, not the number of chips that make PC133
(32x64) compatible with PC100 (16x64) boards. Some high density PC133
memory won't work at all while some only work with half the memory size and
some may work depending on the mb.

Old July 21st 03, 01:44 AM
do_not_spam_me

Rainer Wiechmann wrote in message ...

More than likely your MB will only recognize DIMMs up to 256Mb
that are single-sided architecture....meaning that all the ICs
are located on one side of the module. watch out for this...Newer
double sided DIMM boards will probably show up as half their
capacity and may not work altogether. PC133 single sided DIMMs
have worked fine for me in my MB (ASUS P6B)

I've found the opposite to be true, at least with 256MB (not 256Mb,
which would be just 32MB), and every 256MB I tried that contained just
8 chips was recognized by 440BX motherboards as a 128MB module.