storage management tools

Old July 11th 04, 05:11 PM
alan

Default storage management tools

Has anyone had any experience with storage management tools like CA,
Tivoli, Creek Path or AppIQ. We're considering one of these for our
multi-vendor SAN. The vendors all promise they can do everything,
including provisioning, and they are simple to use and deploy. The
demos look nice but I'm suspicious. Short of piloting each tool
individually, I'd like to get an idea how much they can do and how
hard they are to use. Most importantly, I'd like to know what they
cannot do, especially with regard to provisioning. If you've had any
experience with any of these tools, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Alan
Old July 14th 04, 10:44 PM
s233

I think InterSAN still around. I saw their demo once and it seem like a nice
tool.
http://www.intersan.net/

V2.

"Faeandar" wrote in message
On 11 Jul 2004 09:11:26 -0700, (alan) wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with storage management tools like CA,
Tivoli, Creek Path or AppIQ. We're considering one of these for our
multi-vendor SAN. The vendors all promise they can do everything,
including provisioning, and they are simple to use and deploy. The
demos look nice but I'm suspicious. Short of piloting each tool
individually, I'd like to get an idea how much they can do and how
hard they are to use. Most importantly, I'd like to know what they
cannot do, especially with regard to provisioning. If you've had any
experience with any of these tools, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Alan

We went through all the vendors you mentioned, except AppIQ, as well
as Veritas SPC and InterSAN's product (forget the name). The only
ones we brought inhouse were CreekPath, InterSAN, and SPC. SPC won
due to politics but it was by far the worst of the 3.

InterSAN was good but had some bugs. They were fixing them as we
tested so not too bad. Of course they aren't around anymore but...

CreekPath rocked. Had it been my decision we would have gone with
them and actually been using the product for the last year instead of
not using SPC.

I would recommend CreekPath and maybe AppIQ to pilot (only because I
know nothing about them). Other than those I'd scrap the whole
initiative.

~F