I Cant Shut Down !

Old February 11th 04, 02:33 PM
Jonas Dieckelmann

Default I Cant Shut Down !

Hi there.

Yesterday i opened the case of my pc to do some dust removal.
I used a clean brush for this purpose, whipping away dust from the
motherboard.
After i reinstalled what i had taken out, following Problem occured:
I startet Windows, did some work and when i wanted to power off the pc
(with Windows-Shut down ), the pc would power down, but imediately
after the
fans stop rotating the system would power on again !.
So i went and disconnected every component from the motherboard but the
CPU and the PSU ( eben the RAM), but the problem persisted.
I used another PSU from a friend, connected it to the motherboard: still
the same Problem.

Has anybody a hint, why the system still wont power down ?

Asus A7v333
AthlonXP 1900+
350W PSU

Jonas

Old February 11th 04, 08:43 PM
Cyde Weys

Jonas Dieckelmann wrote:

Has anybody a hint, why the system still wont power down ?

I know this maybe isn't the answer you're looking to, but you can ALWAYS
shut down your PC by flipping the power switch on the PSU to off.
Old February 11th 04, 10:10 PM
mikhail

Ive dealt with motherboards that have been shorted out on one of their
mounts before which causes similar behaviour. Try removing everything from
case and running out of the box to see if that solves problem.

Old February 11th 04, 10:35 PM
Cyde Weys

mikhail wrote:

Ive dealt with motherboards that have been shorted out on one of their
mounts before which causes similar behaviour. Try removing everything from
case and running out of the box to see if that solves problem.

Also, check the stand-offs between the mobo and the case. I
accidentally messed that up once and was having some seriously wacky
problems (luckily nothing permanent, and after realizing what I had
done, I fixed it and the mobo now works fine).
Old February 11th 04, 10:51 PM
Jay Cousins

Jonas Dieckelmann wrote in message ...
[...]

Get your MB manaul out and look at the jumper settings. You may have
hit or knocked a jumper when you were cleaning it. That is the only
thing that I can think of.

-Jay
Old February 13th 04, 03:22 PM
*Vanguard*

"Cyde Weys" said in :
mikhail wrote:

Ive dealt with motherboards that have been shorted out on one of
their mounts before which causes similar behaviour. Try removing
everything from case and running out of the box to see if that
solves problem.

Also, check the stand-offs between the mobo and the case. I
accidentally messed that up once and was having some seriously wacky
problems (luckily nothing permanent, and after realizing what I had
done, I fixed it and the mobo now works fine).

While plastic standoffs may be available, often metal ones are used. The
pad around the hole in the motherboard has solder (to make it soft) onto
which the metal mount is actually expected to short against so the mobo gets
grounded at that point to the case. It would've had to been a very fat
metal mounting stud to extend beyond the pad or hole which should have its
foils for circuit paths far enough away to accommodate the metal mounting
stud. Maybe you used a mounting stud in a hole that wasn't supposed to be
used for mounting the motherboard.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old February 13th 04, 03:26 PM
*Vanguard*

"Trent©" said in :
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:33:31 +0100, Jonas Dieckelmann
wrote:

Hi there.

Yesterday i opened the case of my pc to do some dust removal.

Also...

Were you having a problem before this? People don't usually dust the
inside of their computer.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Dusting is mandatory to reduce heat. Dust reduces heat flow so anything
that heats up on which dust has collected will run hotter. It can also
generate static (there's a name for this type of static that builds up
slowly over time but I forget it at the moment). It will also reduce
airflow if it is allowed to accumulate across openings or accumulates to
large enough mass. So there is very good reason to yearly blow the dust out
of your box. That also includes blowing out the power supply, its fans, and
all other fans and crevices.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old February 13th 04, 03:30 PM
*Vanguard*

"Jonas Dieckelmann" said in :
[...]

Did you use an anti-static brush? If not, or if you did not take
appropriate anti-static precautions when reaching inside the box or handling
its components, then you could've zapped it. In the hope that you didn't
zap it silly, maybe the CMOS table got corrupted. I have seen where the
CMOS copy of the BIOS is out of sync with the BIOS. Look for a 2-pin header
on the motherboard where you short a jumper across to clear the CMOS. First
yank the power cord from the power supply, then short the header for 10
seconds, then remove the jumper and power up. If you don't have a CMOS
clear header that you can jumper, pull the CMOS battery out (after first
yanking the power supply cord), wait a minute or two, replace it, and then
power up. When the POST completes and you see the prompt on how to go into
BIOS, enter BIOS and save all settings (to CMOS). You'll also have to redo
any BIOS customizations you had made previously.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old February 14th 04, 02:51 AM
*Vanguard*

"Trent©" said in :

I guess I've gotta start to RTFM! lol

Why annually? What if there's a dust build-up before that? Do some
mainboards come with a dust measuring device?...to measure the depth
of the dust?

I've got a few clients that can hardly find the 'on' button. I guess
I'll hafta number the screws in the back...so's they know which ones
to take out first.

And where to I get all of them one of those anti-static brushes you
talk about?

I can really use the money...but I don't think I wanna tell my clients
to pull the cover off once a year and dust inside!!

ROTFLMAO!!!

Have a nice week...

Trent

Your environment will tell you how often to dust. If dusty, you set the
computer atop a carpeted floor, lots of pets, leave windows open in summer
instead of using A/C, etc., then your environment is more dusty or linty.
Some computers have filter screens on their inlet air ports (but they are
rather porous). Yearly dusting is recommended just because it does get the
dust out occasionally and you're usually not going to get IS or users to do
it more often. If you take an A+ course for computers or do any maintenance
in a computer environment, you know that you have to schedule some dusting.

In a carpeted house with lots of traffic and pets, I dust mine about every 6
months. One time my 2kVA UPS was making a lot of noise. I figured its fan
was bad. Nope, the fan was horizontal and blowing air over some huge
heatsink fins and a column of dust had accumulate atop the fan between the
fins. I had to use a vacuum with a crevice tool. You know there was a lot
of dust when the vacuum hose when thunka-thunka when sucking up more dust.

However, I would not use a brush unless it was an anti-static brush to wipe
off cards and the motherboard unless I had taken the system apart and took
precautions against static. Blowing with compressed air is usually
sufficient. Otherwise, those mini dusting vacuums (designed for computer
use so they don't build up static from their motor) are handy. You might
want to blow the dust off in a small room where you can then clean up the
mess afterward, or do it outside. Depends on the accumulation level.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old February 14th 04, 08:32 PM
goblin

Jonas Dieckelmann wrote in
:

[...]

In the BIOS, change the APCI from S1 to S3