What kind of 2.5" HD adapter do I need?

Old January 17th 10, 08:46 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,comp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
BillW50

Default What kind of 2.5" HD adapter do I need?

In ,
Sjouke Burry typed on Sun, 17 Jan 2010 18:18:44 +0100:
Ghost2003 runs on freedos form a bootable CD, and
does a fine job of making an image copy of an ntfs OS drive.

Many thanks Sjouke.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

Old January 18th 10, 11:08 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,comp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
~misfit~[_14_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Paul wrote:
wrote:
Hello,

I decided to replace HD in my laptop. It is HP Pavilion DV2000. I
need some kind of adapter to connect it to my desktop (my desktop
have SATA and IDE drives) to clone the old HD to a new one.
It says my disk is SATA Serial - but I see it is not regular SATA
adapter.
Here are pictures of my HD:
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...s/HP-test1.jpg
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...s/HP-test3.jpg
http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.c...s/HP-test4.jpg

Any idea what kind adapter do I need?

Thanks,

Zalek

Looks like SATA. Comparing this picture of the MHV2100BH from the
Newegg site, I'd say there is some kind of adapter in place on the
drive you've got there (in your HP-test4.jpg). Maybe it unplugs to
reveal the normal SATA interface ?

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/22-116-018-S02?$S640W$

That is so typical of HP / Compaq, adding another part that can go wrong
when the sata interface itself is designed for multiple insertions.

And if you don't believe that a simple passive adapter like that can go
wrong I've got a half-dozen HP/Compaq adapters from PATA HDDs that no longer
work. It was a real puzzle when I struck the first one and took me a while
to decide to buy a new adapter as I wasn't sure....

I've had quite a few go bad since then (of various types) and I dare say
these SATA ones will be the same. A money-spinner for HP.
--
Shaun.

Old January 19th 10, 01:07 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,comp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
~misfit~[_14_]

wrote:
[...]

Actually Zalek, why do you need to replace the HDD? If it's because it's
malfunctioning there's a chance that it could be the adapter that's stuffed
rather than the HDD. Worth bearing in mind.
--
Shaun.

Old September 19th 10, 11:36 AM
Scorpion king Scorpion king is offline
Junior Member

u can use Ghost (or equivalent) to make an image of the laptop's old HD
on the desktop - then replace the HD and and clone the image onto the new
one. That's whet I did when I upgraded my laptop's HD.