computer fried--query about restoring on new used computer

Old July 4th 17, 02:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Default computer fried--query about restoring on new used computer

I bought an HP Probook 6570b laptop, used, years ago. Loved it. We had a
coffee spill and it fried my computer.
Ok, just ordered a used computer – same exact model – from Amazon (it’s
also used).

Sadly, I had a lot of stuff on the fried computer.

Now, I do regular image backups using Macrium Reflect Free.

My question: can I install Macrium Reflect Free on the computer I just
bought and restore my latest image from the fried computer and be
totally okay?

As an alternative, can I just put the HD from the old computer into the
new computer. Would everything be the same?

Mel
Old July 4th 17, 06:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Try transplanting the HD. I just did one with a Dell Vostro 1400 and it worked okay.

There may be drivers you have to install for devices that aren't the same make, like wifi
radio chips, after it comes up.

Old July 4th 17, 11:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Yes, Mel, put the hard drive from the fried computer into an identical replacement and the replacement should boot right up. There is an outside chance that the hardware is different despite the identical model. In this case, installing drivers fixes whatever problem there might be. You may also have to re-activate Windows as well as paid-and-licensed software like Office, Adobe Creative Suite or AutoCad.

I am assuming, of course, that the hard drive is not damaged and it is free of errors like reallocated sector... Ben Myers

Old July 5th 17, 01:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

On 7/4/2017 6:23 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
[...]

Ben:

How would I reactivate Windows (it is W7). Do I just call and explain
the situation?

Mel

Old July 5th 17, 01:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

How would I reactivate Windows (it is W7). Do I just call and explain
the situation?

On Dell computers it assumes the operating system is valid. HP may be the same.

In any case you paid for the OS and so it's valid legally, so long as you're not
running it on two computers.

Old July 7th 17, 03:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Shadow[_2_]

On Tue, 4 Jul 2017 09:16:10 -0400, MZB wrote:

I bought an HP Probook 6570b laptop, used, years ago. Loved it. We had a
coffee spill and it fried my computer.
Ok, just ordered a used computer – same exact model – from Amazon (it’s
also used).

Sadly, I had a lot of stuff on the fried computer.

Now, I do regular image backups using Macrium Reflect Free.

My question: can I install Macrium Reflect Free on the computer I just
bought and restore my latest image from the fried computer and be
totally okay?

Probably

As an alternative, can I just put the HD from the old computer into the
new computer. Would everything be the same?

Yes, assuming the hardware is the same. Probably your best
bet, as the licenses might be tied to the HD serial number and I think
HP uses a "generic" OEM license.
Try it and tell us.
[]'s
--