Need help installing 2nd (non-raid) hdd in a T3600

Old May 16th 17, 06:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bill[_15_]

Default Need help installing 2nd (non-raid) hdd in a T3600

Wife has a Dell Precision T3600 (Win 7 OS), with one 250gb hdd; and
she's run out of space on that drive. I have a new 1tb sata drive I
want to install; but when I hooked it up and booted, Bios only shows her
old 250gb drive - it does not detect the new drive.

I've swapped the hdd cables - both work.
I stuck the new hdd in another system - bios reconized it, and the drive
was listed in Window's device manager.

What's different about this system than our other Dells is that it has a
Perc H310 "raid controller". The manual I found online says it supports
non-raid disks; but it doesn't tell me if it autmatically configures
non-raid disks - or if some manual setup is required to get a non-raid
disk detected.

In desperation, I poked my nose into the raid controller configuration
program that's offered at boot. I could see on the "PD" page that there
were entries for both the 250gb, and the 1tb drive. On the "VD" page,
only the 250 gb disk was shown.

I also experimented with conntecting only the 1TB drive. In this case,
at boot, the system will complain that none of the previously configured
drives is present/detected, and I'm offered the option to set up a new
configuration. I didn't know what the repercussions of this step might
be, if it might affect her old drive in any way - so I backed out.

It doesn't seem like it should be this difficult. I've installed maybe
a dozen drives in the past, and never had any difficulty; so I'm
wondering a) what I've missed, or b) is there some other problem that's
preventing the drive from being detected in the bios?

Any ideas how to get the 1tb drive recognized?

Thanks,
Bill

--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Old May 16th 17, 09:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bill[_15_]

Let me add:

- have latest bios installed (A14)
-H310 has latest firmware and drivers.

--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Old May 16th 17, 11:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Not familiar with the T3600 BIOS, but for many BIOSes (especially Dell towers and desktops), one needs to enable a drive connector (e.g. SATA-1) for the system to recognize the drive.

Old May 17th 17, 02:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bill[_15_]

Thanks Ben,
I know what you you're referring to. I'll go double check.