Recomend good external USB 2.0 case

Old August 29th 03, 03:35 AM
Tod

Default Recomend good external USB 2.0 case

I want to stick a hard drive in external USB 2.0 case.
Recommendations for case please ?

Old August 29th 03, 06:40 AM
Dave Hau

IMHO, Maxtor and ADS make the best external enclosure for IDE disks.

- Dave

et...

Old September 2nd 03, 05:06 PM
Dave Hau

"Slash" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 05:40:03 GMT, "Dave Hau"
scribbled:

IMHO, Maxtor and ADS make the best external enclosure for IDE disks.

- Dave

Well, Maxtor is out if he already has the disk,

Not necessarily. Office Depot sometimes has Maxtor external hard drives on
clearance, at greatly reduced prices. Say, for example, if you can get a
60GB external drive cheap for say $70, then you can sell the hard disk on
ebay for $50, and then get a bigger drive like 200GB and stick it into the
enclosure. As I said, Maxtor enclosures are good so it's worth the extra
effort.

- Dave

but from what I can
find on the net it does look like the ADS boxes are quite nice. A
little more expensive than some other enclosures, but not "botique"
priced either.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion

Old September 2nd 03, 05:10 PM
Arild Bjørk

Just stay away from the ECS 3.5 housing. The fan is really loud.

Old September 2nd 03, 09:23 PM
ajkrishock

"Tod" wrote in message . net...
I want to stick a hard drive in external USB 2.0 case.
Recommendations for case please ?

I use a Bafo USB enclosure (http://www.bafo.com). I use it with a
Western Digital 80Gb drive (8 meg cache). I make GHOST images of my
Redhat LINUX and Windows 98 partitions with it. I've restored those
partitions successfully, too.

Other than the fact that installation was a bit tricky, I have had no
trouble with it.

Regards

Tony
Old September 3rd 03, 12:58 AM
Timothy Daniels

"Dave Hau" wrote:
.....Office Depot sometimes has Maxtor external
hard drives on clearance, at greatly reduced prices.
Say, for example, if you can get a 60GB external
drive cheap for say $70, then you can sell the hard disk
on ebay for $50, and then get a bigger drive like
200GB and stick it into the enclosure. As I said,
Maxtor enclosures are good so it's worth the extra
effort.

I doubt that Maxtor makes anything other than
hard drives. Their controller cards, for example,
are (by their own techs' explicit statement) made
by Promise. If you look around on the Internet,
you'll probably be able to find the same enclosure
under the brand name of the real manufacturer.

*TimDaniels*
Old September 3rd 03, 03:05 AM
Dave Hau

Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Dave Hau" wrote:

.....Office Depot sometimes has Maxtor external
hard drives on clearance, at greatly reduced prices.
Say, for example, if you can get a 60GB external
drive cheap for say $70, then you can sell the hard disk
on ebay for $50, and then get a bigger drive like
200GB and stick it into the enclosure. As I said,
Maxtor enclosures are good so it's worth the extra
effort.

I doubt that Maxtor makes anything other than
hard drives. Their controller cards, for example,
are (by their own techs' explicit statement) made
by Promise. If you look around on the Internet,
you'll probably be able to find the same enclosure
under the brand name of the real manufacturer.

That was what I thought too. But I haven't been able to find an
enclosure that looks the same as the Maxtor enclosures. The closest is
ADS but if you compare them side by side, they definitely look different.

- Dave

*TimDaniels*

Old September 3rd 03, 09:20 AM
J.Clarke

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 02:05:17 GMT
Dave Hau wrote:

Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Dave Hau" wrote:

[...]

Might be that they're making custom shells for Maxtor--if you check the
Taiwanese case manufacturers' sites you'll find that they produce many
trim options that you never see available at retail--the same is
probably true with USB enclosures.

- Dave

*TimDaniels*

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

rectangular case fan above pci slots needed Leadfoot Overclocking AMD Processors 11 October 11th 04 03:14 PM
External Case for 16X DVDR Pat Cdr 6 August 31st 04 01:37 AM
CompUSA brand usb/firewire hd case (aluminum; no fan) GS General 4 August 7th 04 09:38 PM
Silent Computer - Advice David Taylor General 45 October 7th 03 11:26 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Homebuilt PC's 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM